Single stack 9mm in USPSA and IDPA:Edit-Shadow 2

The Edge Lab

Dealer
NES Member
Ive never actually competed in any IDPA or USPSA matches. However I am going to this year and I am taking the USPSA class at Hopkinton. I’m trying to figure out what people are using to compete. It seems that Production and SSP are the most popular divisions.

I really enjoy shooting 9mm 1911’s for many reasons. I understand that it is scored in as a minor power factor.

That said... How many people are shooting 9mm 1911 in these comps?

Thanks

Ive never actually competed in any IDPA or USPSA matches. However I am going to this year and I am taking the USPSA class at Hopkinton. I’m trying to figure out what people are using to compete. It seems that Production and SSP are the most popular divisions.

I really enjoy shooting 9mm 1911’s for many reasons. I understand that it is scored in as a minor power factor.

That said... How many people are shooting 9mm 1911 in these comps?

Thanks
1911 would be ESP in IDPA. I would hazard a guess that 20% in ESP use a 1911 in 9mm in ESP.

Here is some anecdotal evidence from last weekend's Florida open: 2018 Florida Open | PractiScore

You would have to look around a local match results to get a better idea in your area, however, it appears at least in the Florida open, more than half of the single stack competitors are going with minor power factor.

IDPA your in ESP and it only requires minor power factor.
USPSA you'll want to enter Single Stack, and check off "minor' on the entry form. You'll be scored minor, but can load 10 rds, while major is only 8 rds. Lots of debate over which is better, bottom line, it's the Indian, not the arrow.
Shoot what you got, have fun, learn the basics. It will not be the hardware holding you back for the first few matches no matter what you bring.

Last edited:
I shot single stack 9mm for a season in uspsa. About half club shooters are minor in ss but it seems like the majority shoot major in serious matches. For a new shooter the extra 2 rounds are helpful. In idpa it's a great esp gun.

If you're going to run a single stack in USPSA, you're going to want a number of magazines, and you might want to see if you can increase the capacity of the ones you're using. My wife was using my Kimber stainless Target II and I bought some TRIPP magazines for it that worked well.

Thanks for the input guys..

I actually have a G34 that I was going to use in Production and ESP. It’s ok to shoot but I really enjoy shooting the 9mm 1911’s. I just don’t want to be in an unpopular class. I guess it really doesn’t matter how popular the class is.

Shooting SS minor is fun, its like production but with a real gun. I wouldn't worry about a division being unpopular, as long as its not revolver nobody cares what you shoot. :)

When it comes down to it, major is always better than minor, occasionally 2 extra rounds can be helpful, but you will find that a lot of times you will be dropping mags with rounds in them, so you are better of without the points penalty

Thanks guys... great info. I’ll probably just stick to running the G34 since I already have it.

Something to think about, your chances of finishing higher is better in a division with fewer participants.
In southern New England, there are rarely more than 8 to 10 shooters in Single Stack vs. 25 to 30 in Production or Limited.
And you get to shoot a real all-steel gun.

Something to think about, your chances of finishing higher is better in a division with fewer participants.
In southern New England, there are rarely more than 8 to 10 shooters in Single Stack vs. 25 to 30 in Production or Limited.
And you get to shoot a real all-steel gun.
I get that but I like the competition and the comradery that comes with it. I do like the part where I get to shoot a steel gun. Thus my dilemma!

I’ve been using a Dan Wesson Pointman 9 1911 in both for the last couple years. Though this year I’m using a CZ Shadow 2 for USPSA and the PM9 in IDPA ESP...

Last edited:
Use whatever you want. Don’t worry about a division being “unpopular”. At a match, you don’t get broken into squads based on your division so you’ll be with shooters from various divisions and classes.

I had a similar debate for the last few months. I ended up getting an STI DVC in 9mm that I will use in USPSA and Steel Challenge. I was looking for something I could use in IDPA, USPSA and Steel but got a deal on the STI. If I take up IDPA I have a few production guns that will work just fine. Shoot save and straight...

Uspsa Single stack minor is fun!! Having two extra rounds can be helpful starting out, its nice to know you have another chance if you miss steel. Also makes it easier to go back and forth between production as the round count (stage planning is the same)

I get that but I like the competition and the comradery that comes with it. I do like the part where I get to shoot a steel gun. Thus my dilemma!

Sounds like you need a cz or tanfo then: All the competition of production division with a steel gun. It's a win-win.

Sounds like you need a cz or tanfo then: All the competition of production division with a steel gun. It's a win-win.
I’ve been looking...found a few but they are out of my price range. I’ve even considered a 92fs

A8BE781A-21F6-4E3A-AFD1-83134E5189B0.jpeg This is what I ended up getting. CZ Shadow 2. Fits like a glove and it’s a tack driver...even with my lack of skill. Can’t get over how comfortable it is to shoot. I took it all apart and polished up the trigger and slide/rails. Shot a few hundred rounds with it and it performed flawlessly. The trigger is so smooth and crisp. It’s so nice to shoot a metal gun compare to the M&Ps and Glocks I’ve had in the past. Not that there’s anything wrong with those but I’m more comfortable with this.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:
View attachment 225083 This is what I ended up getting. CZ Shadow 2. Fits like a glove and it’s a tack driver...even with my lack of skill. Can’t get over how comfortable it is to shoot. I took it all apart and polished up the trigger and slide/rails. Shot a few hundred rounds with it and it performed flawlessly. The trigger is so smooth and crisp. It’s so nice to shoot a metal gun compare to the M&Ps and Glocks I’ve had in the past.

Can't go wrong with a S2 (aside from it not being legal in IDPA)! Nice!

View attachment 225083 This is what I ended up getting. CZ Shadow 2. Fits like a glove and it’s a tack driver...even with my lack of skill. Can’t get over how comfortable it is to shoot. I took it all apart and polished up the trigger and slide/rails. Shot a few hundred rounds with it and it performed flawlessly. The trigger is so smooth and crisp. It’s so nice to shoot a metal gun compare to the M&Ps and Glocks I’ve had in the past.

Just a quick note... Not sure about IDPA, but in USPSA Production you will have to start with the hammer down (i.e. double action mode). I would recommend getting some snap caps and practice lowering the hammer at home before heading off to a match or practice.

good choice , a lot of production shooters are using CZ's, I love my shadow 2, I wish I could use it in Carry optics without hacking it up to make weight :(
hopefully the optics ready version will sell a lightened slide separately so I can use one gun for both divisions.

That's really nice looking, congrats. Good luck with it in matches and for fun in general.

Back
Top Bottom