• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Single point sling question

chindogg

NES Member
Well, the good thing is that all of the ones you chose can be slipped on over the buffer tube without disassembling it from the lower, but keep in mind you will need to unpin your stock (if its pinned). As for which is best, that is a tough call because functionally all 3 of those will be the same. I had to use that type on my M&P 15-22 because the fake buffer tube doesn't come off. I would just go with whichever one is cheapest to your door including shipping.

Well, the good thing is that all of the ones you chose can be slipped on over the buffer tube without disassembling it from the lower, but keep in mind you will need to unpin your stock (if its pinned). As for which is best, that is a tough call because functionally all 3 of those will be the same. I had to use that type on my M&P 15-22 because the fake buffer tube doesn't come off. I would just go with whichever one is cheapest to your door including shipping.

I was under the impression that I was going to have to dissamble the lower regardless. This is my firtst AR and I was told the stock was pinned AND welded. Does this make sense? Thanks

Answered your pm, but the "pinned and welded" bit was referring to the muzzle device. The stock is only pinned with a single, small diameter roll pin in most cases, and is fairly day to drive out with an appropriately sized punch.

IMHO 2 point is a better choice. More practical for carry. Also try to maneuver with a one point once you transition to pistol. Long gun will beat the heck out of you and itself.
. Try the V-tac... This is the choice or professionals.

I prefer the use a backplate qd stud like the one noveske makes if I'm using a single point. Keeps your attachment point somewhat balanced, keeps your stock clear of clutter, and is quickly removable.

IMHO 2 point is a better choice. More practical for carry. Also try to maneuver with a one point once you transition to pistol. Long gun will beat the heck out of you and itself.

I agree with this, and actually run the Vtac myself, but I know many that prefer the single point, which is why I didn't get into style recommendations with the OP. I actually added a little QR socket from Impact Weapons to my Vtac so it can quickly convert from 2 point into a single point style if I want, although like you, I generally prefer the 2 point.

I prefer the use a backplate qd stud like the one noveske makes if I'm using a single point. Keeps your attachment point somewhat balanced, keeps your stock clear of clutter, and is quickly removable.

That's also a good suggestion. Do they make that type in the style of the OP's examples where you clamp it to the buffer tube rather than a backplate replacement?

Single point and 2 point both have positives and negatives. A single point is easier to run in those 'tactical' style classes where you run around like a direct action operator... but an adjustable 2 point is going be much more versatile with various shooting positions, and way more valuable shooting off hand at mid range. I run a blueforce padded adjustable, but also have single point connections for those times you just wanna have fun.

You could also run a magpul ms3 sling. Can be easily converted from single to double point sling on the fly. Im also a fan of the magpul ASAP sling attachment

I agree. I tried a single point sling and hated it. Unless you are working a checkpoint or some other static kind of non activity, they really don't hold it close enough.

I've found the VTAC two point to work well for me. I can "let it hang" like a single point, or sling it over my shoulder onto my back. Or I can even tighten it up and use it as a shooting aid. Much more versatile in my opinion.

Single point and 2 point both have positives and negatives. A single point is easier to run in those 'tactical' style classes where you run around like a direct action operator... but an adjustable 2 point is going be much more versatile with various shooting positions, and way more valuable shooting off hand at mid range. I run a blueforce padded adjustable, but also have single point connections for those times you just wanna have fun.

I've taken "carbine classes" with both single and 2 point slings. I found the 2 point to be superior in all cases. If I am running around, and have to release my rifle while using a single point sling, the gun swings like crazy. With the VTAC, I yank on the tag end and the rifle is brought in close to my body.

Also, I found that if we practiced transitioning to a handgun, the single point sling would allow the gun to again hang too freely. The 2 point was easier to smoothly slide it out of the way.

Just my .02. I'm not a high speed tactical operator. Just a dad and IT guy who likes to shoot.

Hey chindog. If you wanna run a single point the easiest way to do it would be to replace your end plate with one compatible with a single point sling. Magpul makes one and is around 20 bucks. I agree with all posted above that two point is the way to go. The single point just doesn't give enough retention and makes handgun transitions a pain

I've taken "carbine classes" with both single and 2 point slings. I found the 2 point to be superior in all cases. If I am running around, and have to release my rifle while using a single point sling, the gun swings like crazy. With the VTAC, I yank on the tag end and the rifle is brought in close to my body.

Also, I found that if we practiced transitioning to a handgun, the single point sling would allow the gun to again hang too freely. The 2 point was easier to smoothly slide it out of the way.

Just my .02. I'm not a high speed tactical operator. Just a dad and IT guy who likes to shoot.
We're actually in agreement. I run a 2 point. My only point is that a single point is superior when it comes to speed reloads and some of the 'weak-side' shooting you see in these kinds of classes. It's the only area that I find them to be superior to a 2 point.

Eta: and it's not enough to make me want to run one consistently.

I don't see how a 2 point would slow a speed reload. But TOTALLY see how a single point would be easier to switch sides.

As you probably know, with a little practice, a 2 point can be pretty quick to switch sides with.

I don't see how a 2 point would slow a speed reload. But TOTALLY see how a single point would be easier to switch sides.

As you probably know, with a little practice, a 2 point can be pretty quick to switch sides with.

If a two point is dialed in too tight, you'll find it difficult, particularly reloading from a plate carrier. Single point allows a little more breathing room. Also, side switching is very dependent on where the rear sling point is. If it's not setup right, the sling will actually choke you as you try to come across face.

Thanks for the info. I don't own or wear a plate carrier. Like I said. Dad/IT guy who likes to shoot. Ha.

haha. Me too! Except for IT part. You are 100% correct imo that if you're reloading from belt, the difference isn't noticeable. I actually have my rear sling point connected on the right side of rifle using magpul QD adapter. It allows me to switch comfortably with 2 point.

ETA: I've read your posts... I think you're being a bit humble in terms of your gun knowledge. ;)

Last edited:
haha. Me too! Except for IT part. You are 100% correct imo that if you're reloading from belt, the difference isn't noticeable. I actually have my rear sling point connected on the right side of rifle using magpul QD adapter. It allows me to switch comfortably with 2 point.

I have a Vltor modstock on the gun I usually use. I use a QR on the rear of the stock and use the standard sling loop on the front of the gun I usually use.

I always reload from a belt. I've shot IDPA or something similar for 20 years. Its natural for me to go to my belt. So when I started shooting an AR in practical shooting events, belt mag pouches just made sense.

I like the Blade Tec ones with the Tec loc mount.

Don

p.s. When I used a single point, I used an end plate with a couple of loops on it also. It worked fine, was cheap, quick, and easy.

Last edited:
Get a SLAP plate and sling up as you like...

Also, once you have the old end plate off, tap the hole the spring goes through (for the rear takedown pin detent) 4-40 and install a 1/8" long set screw (I have the taps and extra screws if you want to do it here). Then you can remove the buffer tube all you want without having to worry about catching (or binding) the spring. You will need to trim about 1/8" off the spring, but that's easy. Some lowers come with this modification already done.

For actual sling, I have both a single point and one of the MagPul converting slings. Depends on what I'm doing is which I like better. Once I get a front mount point, though, the MagPul might become the one I use more (easy to change from single to two point sling).

Can any one recommend a good sling for a heavy ak? I was gonna use one for my psl carbine. I already got a ambi mounting plate.

if you want a 2 point, get the vtac wide padded, thank me later

some may like this idea, some may not, I'm currently trying to decide for myself as i haven't used it extensively yet. On my AR i am currently using a vikings tactics bungee 2 point sling.

VTAC-BGS-3.jpg

i like the option of switching like my chad roland does, but i hate the magpul ms3/ms4 slings because they aren't as quick adjustable as the VTAC style. So i recently added a magpul ms4 adapter to the rear part of the vtac bungee sling.

XMAG519COY.jpg

When i run 2 point, I attach the QD side of the ms4 adapter into the back plate QD slot, and the QD stud into a slot up on the rail, a lot of newer rails are coming with built in QD slots, or you can get something like a magpul RSA.

When i want to do tactical backflips, ill attach the QD stud from the fore of the rifle into the MS4 adapter in the back and i have a single point bungee that is also adjustable on the fly.

Im in agreement that a 2 point is usually the best bet, however i was glad as hell to have the single point option a few weeks ago while shooting a vtac 9 hole drill, and when doing shoulder to shoulder transitions a single point is better imo.

Whatever you get use it, and use it while you are under stress, all the adjustable straps and quick disconnect conversion shit is cool as hell, and it works great, but you need to use it a ****lot in order to get the muscle memory required to employ it without getting knotted up in nylon at the least desirable moment. Glen (GPP) was telling me at the last shoot that he used to just tie his rifle onto a carabiner with some paracord and clip it to his PC, that may not be wicked cool when your looking in the bedroom mirror all kitted up, but it worked for him in some high stress situations, so i consider it an option worth investigating along with your standard single or 2 point connected sling that has worked for ages.

Last edited:
if you want a 2 point, get the vtac wide padded, thank me later

+1

The only thing I'd caution about the VTAC is that all the hardware is steel, like it should be.

If you have a safe queen that you like to play dress up with, the VTAC is going to scuff it up.

My play gun is a SBR'd Pre-ban that I've owned for 15 years and its worn, so i could not care less.

Back
Top Bottom