Single action revolvers not compliant? Good God!

crookedteeth

NES Member
I ordered one of those Rough Rider single action revolvers because they seem like fun and they are $119. But it got cancelled because apparently they aren't Mass compliant. How the hell could a 22 revolver not be Mass compliant? What could be wrong with owning a 22 revolver? Maybe the same thing that could go wrong with the guns used by every Police officer in the State? Geez, I hate this state. What's wrong with these people?

I ordered one of those Rough Rider single action revolvers because they seem like fun and they are $119. But it got cancelled because apparently they aren't Mass compliant. How the hell could a 22 revolver not be Mass compliant? What could be wrong with owning a 22 revolver? Maybe the same thing that could go wrong with the guns used by every Police officer in the State? Geez, I hate this state. What's wrong with these people?
Because the rosters aren’t meant to be reasonable. They’re to make owning guns difficult.

A readily MA-available option is the Ruger Wrangler 22lr

Please move. Your vote will count somewhere else...+1 for Indiana!

Heritage almost certainly didn't submit them for testing, it's that simple. It's at the manufacturer's cost.

That's what I was thinking too.
And Mass treats every variation as a completely different gun, thus every variant must also be submitted for testing.
This is why you can only get certain variations of some handguns in Mass, but not all the different versions they make.
The manufacturers only submit what they believe to be the most popular variations of their handguns for compliance testing, thus those are the only ones available in Mass.

Find a supplier that will ship it and an FFL that will accept it. Problem solved.

Because it probably would fail some if the “quality” portions of the test.
  • Has “a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock that is composed of: 1) any metal having a melting point of less than 900 degrees Fahrenheit; 2) any metal having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch; or 3) any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter.” This requirement does not apply to any make and model of handgun that passes, in new condition, specific firing tests;4
  • Is prone to accidental discharge as measured by drop testing;5

I want the 16” barrel rough rider…just because of how ridiculous it looks.
View attachment 555371
That one is no problem because in MA it is a "rifle". So federally a revolver/pistol, state a rifle. Not subject to the roster and easily transferable (I have sold lots of them)

That one is no problem because in MA it is a "rifle". So federally a revolver/pistol, state a rifle. Not subject to the roster and easily transferable (I have sold lots of them)

Even with an OAL of under 26"? If so, this has opened up a lot of options I've never thought of.

The Ruger Wrangler is on the roster. .22lr single action cowboy gun. No removable cylinder though and a little more expensive at street price around $179.

No rough riders. No pietta's. No nuffin. Cowboy guns are just not allowed. Because laws don't have to make sense in mASS.

Haven't you seen your share of cowboy movies. Single action revolvers are the choice of armed criminals nationwide. It's right there on the TV.

(If you don't believe me that Beacon Hill thinks that way - explain why ninja stars, butterfly knives and nunchucks and such are outlawed in mASS. Because. . . . . . . . too many Bruce Lee movies in the late 60's/early 70's???? "ZOMG!!!! People could get hurt. Ban em!")

No rough riders. No pietta's. No nuffin. Cowboy guns are just not allowed. Because laws don't have to make sense in mASS.

Haven't you seen your share of cowboy movies. Single action revolvers are the choice of armed criminals nationwide. It's right there on the TV.

(If you don't believe me that Beacon Hill thinks that way - explain why ninja stars, butterfly knives and nunchucks and such are outlawed in mASS. Because. . . . . . . . too many Bruce Lee movies in the late 60's/early 70's???? "ZOMG!!!! People could get hurt. Ban em!")
Not to mention the poor zoobow

Eh, you can get a Ruger New Vaquero. I got one at Cabelas a couple years back. But yeah, it's not a real single-action like a Colt/Pietta/etc.

MA doesn't include that minimum length in our definition. Because "reasons"

That sounds about right for this state's take on gun laws. MA abides by NFA for barrel length because god forbid a sub 16" barrel makes it .000001% more likely someone can conceal it in a crime. But when you look at the other end of the gun and reduce or eliminate the stock to achieve the same net result of a shorter gun, they're like "what ev's...lol...as long as the barrel is 16".

That sounds about right for this state's take on gun laws. MA abides by NFA for barrel length because god forbid a sub 16" barrel makes it .000001% more likely someone can conceal it in a crime. But when you look at the other end of the gun and reduce or eliminate the stock to achieve the same net result of a shorter gun, they're like "what ev's...lol...as long as the barrel is 16".
Definitions:

''Rifle'', a weapon having a rifled bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 16 inches and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

For completeness:
''Shotgun'', a weapon having a smooth bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 18 inches with an overall length equal to or greater than 26 inches, and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.
''Firearm'', a stun gun or a pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged and of which the length of the barrel or barrels is less than 16 inches or 18 inches in the case of a shotgun as originally manufactured; provided, however, that the term firearm shall not include any weapon that is: (i) constructed in a shape that does not resemble a handgun, short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun including, but not limited to, covert weapons that resemble key-chains, pens, cigarette-lighters or cigarette-packages; or (ii) not detectable as a weapon or potential weapon by x-ray machines commonly used at airports or walk- through metal detectors.

Eh, you can get a Ruger New Vaquero. I got one at Cabelas a couple years back. But yeah, it's not a real single-action like a Colt/Pietta/etc.

Exactly. You think prices for CSA's are high - then you add the MA premium and they are out of sight expensive. It's near impossible to get clones. Especially since there isn't a lot of call for them.

A Ruger is not a Colt copy. It's a single-action of similar feel. And it's a stupid reason to not be exempt. They should have exempted them from the outset.

SA guns fire without touching the trigger; just ask the idiot, Alec Baldwin!

You're right. Also, isn't the Taylor's Cattleman 1640283952912.png the choice gun of ISIS? The leaders in MA are controlling, mean spirited, and soulless azzholes!

That's what I was thinking too.
And Mass treats every variation as a completely different gun, thus every variant must also be submitted for testing.
This is why you can only get certain variations of some handguns in Mass, but not all the different versions they make.
The manufacturers only submit what they believe to be the most popular variations of their handguns for compliance testing, thus those are the only ones available in Mass.
Not really true, but most mfrs are too stupid to realize that. They can have the testing company give a statement that a different variation/SKU is similar and that it would pass the same tests as the one that was tested. It's right in the MGL. Back in 1998 I approached NSSF to see if they were interested in having someone with expertise (me) offer services to the industry (not a specific mfr) to work them thru the system to widen the number of variations approved. I didn't sense any interest and I wasn't interested in representing only a single company so I just let it go.

Exactly. You think prices for CSA's are high - then you add the MA premium and they are out of sight expensive. It's near impossible to get clones. Especially since there isn't a lot of call for them.

A Ruger is not a Colt copy. It's a single-action of similar feel. And it's a stupid reason to not be exempt. They should have exempted them from the outset.
Yeah, I got what I could, not what I wanted.

• Has “a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock that is composed of: 1) any metal having a melting point of less than 900 degrees Fahrenheit; 2) any metal having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch; or 3) any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter.” This requirement does not apply to any make and model of handgun that passes, in new condition, specific firing tests;4
  • Is prone to accidental discharge as measured by drop testing;5

Would it be reasonable to assume that the 900 degrees F stipulation is really there to make it harder to melt down 'problematic' firearms or am I being wildly paranoid and skeptical.

Not really true, but most mfrs are too stupid to realize that. They can have the testing company give a statement that a different variation/SKU is similar and that it would pass the same tests as the one that was tested. It's right in the MGL. Back in 1998 I approached NSSF to see if they were interested in having someone with expertise (me) offer services to the industry (not a specific mfr) to work them thru the system to widen the number of variations approved. I didn't sense any interest and I wasn't interested in representing only a single company so I just let it go.
Here is an old GCAB agenda:
Meeting Agenda:
New Business

New Lab Test Reports

Springfield Armory 1911-A1 TRP, Long Slide Black, PC9610L18 10mm
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 TRP Operator 5”, Black, PC9105L18 .45ACP
Springfield Armory XD-S Mod. 2, 3.3”, Black, XDSG93345BE .45ACP
Springfield Armory 911, Stainless, PG9109S .380ACP
Springfield Armory EMP LW Champion, Concealed Carry Contour, 4” Stainless, P19229L 9mm
Smith & Wesson BG38-1 .38spc +P TMJ
Ruger GP100 (Model 01775) 10mm

Functional Design Equivalents
Springfield Armory 1911-A1, RO Elite, 5” Black, PI9129E 9mm
Springfield Armory XD-S 3.3”, Gray, XDS9339YE 9mm
Springfield Armory 1911-A1, Loaded Operator 5” MC, OD Green, PX9110ML18 .45ACP
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 LW Champion RO Elite, 4”, Black, PI9137E 9mm
Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Loaded Operator 5”, MC, OD Green, PX9105ML18 .45ACP
Springfield Armory 911, 2.7”, Black, PG9109 .380ACP

Formal Target Shooting Roster Requests
Nighthawk Custom Korth Mongoose 6” .357
Nighthawk Custom Falcon Government 10mm
Nighthawk Custom Falcon Government .45ACP
Nighthawk Custom Chairman 6” .45ACP
Nighthawk Custom Warhawk Government 9mm
Nighthawk Custom GRP Government 9mm
Nighthawk Custom GRP Government .45ACP
Nighthawk Custom Agent 2 9mm
Nighthawk Custom Agent 2 .45ACP

Other new business

Review of approved laboratory test report form for both format and content for the purpose of standardizing all reports submitted to the GCAB by approved testing labs.

Matters not reasonably anticipated by Chair

Public comment
The "Functional Design Equivalents” are what @Len-2A Training is referring to.

Back
Top Bottom