• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Simple Truths

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I suppose the "What Could Go Wrong" memes are a graphic representation of what I mean, but curious what y'all find to be "simple truths", aka "common sense".

Like if it tastes bad, don't eat it.

I dunno, as I write this I seem to be coming up dry of examples, but you MUST understand.

What Simple Truths do you live by?

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
More simple rules of thumb:

Never pass up the opportunity to shut up.
Always use the bathroom when you have the chance.
Never waste a hard on.
Never pass up telling your loved ones how much you care.

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Look forward to hearing these responses.

"Keep it simple."
"Whatever you think it'll cost in time and money, double it."
"Insecurity is loud but confidence is quiet."

And for the Bible-reading types, "What does the Lord require of you? Act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God."

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
If it flies, floats or f's, rent it? LOL

Be nice to everyone.
Do you wanna be right or do you wanna be rich? (That's my mantra. It has served me well, in a zen, Buddha, Guy-Ritchie's-Revolver, Deepak Chopra, Kung-Fu sorta of way.)

milktree

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Take the complement.

If someone tries to give you money, let them.

Say thank you.

Never attribute to malice what can be more easily explained by ignorance. <-- this is especially true with gun stuff, there's a lot of not-evil, ignorant people.

Relax, look ahead. <-- This applies to everything: autocross, motorcycles, relationships, plumbing,

If you can do something nice for someone, even a stranger, that costs you little or nothing, do it.

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You can have it fast, good or cheap - pick two. (I saw this years ago in Danny's tattoo shop in Bridgeport, CT).
Don't stick your dick in crazy.
Family's first.

Uzi2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
All government will always seek to expand itself and make YOU pay for that expansion.

If you want to not see someone again for a long while, loan them money.

Nine out of ten times when the microwave stops, the handle of the cup you put in to heat will be facing to the back.

s4mt3k

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
If it flies, floats or f's, rent it? LOL

Be nice to everyone.
Do you wanna be right or do you wanna be rich? (That's my mantra. It has served me well, in a zen, Buddha, Guy-Ritchie's-Revolver, Deepak Chopra, Kung-Fu sorta of way.)
Is this a trick question? Rich is the right answer - duh

I laughed the first one (rent it)

goslow

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live contented
(inscribed on our wedding rings many, many moons ago)

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

When in doubt, make it stout.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Is this a trick question? Rich is the right answer - duh

I laughed the first one (rent it)
Really??? I've watched countless people in business burn things to the ground because their feelings got hurt. "They can't treat me that way!" Yes. Yes they can. It's your decision of taking the $ and the guff, or neither. There is no in-between.

I attribute 90% of my success in business to this. I've had situations where it LOOKS like a client is "out to get me." I feel stress inside. And I go the extra mile to make things better. Not JUST right, but better. In all but a few cases, either I completely resurrected the situation OR I completely misread it. My humble desire for MO MONEY ensured I got. . . . MO MONEY. ;)

It goes for relationships too. A friend of mine is married. They are young. They come from dissimilar backgrounds of handling $. He does it poorly, she is a saver. And he has a pile of other baggage coming with due to his family. She asked my advice about the $ thing. I know them both pretty well and I drilled down to a segment of their argument. I mean, he tossed it all back in her face. One of those "Oh yeah , well. . . ." things. It was a dick move. No question.

I asked her, "Do you want to be right - because you are SOOOO right - or do you want a better relationship?"

So we discussed how she can side-track his dick-move to really explore how he feels when cornered. Because he isn't that guy and it was so out of character. He felt cornered!

Should he already have manned-up? Yup. Did he have a single tool in his toolbox from his family to deal with his own stuff? Brotherplease! He didn't even have a damned tool box to put tools in!

She chose to improve over the hurtful slight. They are a better couple for it.

s4mt3k

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
When I'm kinda joking I say - money solves all problems (shit it can buy lots of guns, ammo, cars and car parts and that makes me happy)

When I'm kinda serious I say - money only amplifies your current attributes, shitbags become bigger shitbags, nice guys become nicer guys (or at least are more capable of being nice)

Top Bottom