• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Silver City Firearms closed

There isn't giving it too much credit. It's within a few minutes of THREE major highways in MA and within 20 minutes of 495 and rte 2. There's also only like 2, 3? stoplights to deal with and a dunks on the
way out. How can you really get better than that? FS has a lot of flaws but location isn't one of them.

Food for thought... The gun room was the WORST gun shop in MA by a ton of people. That ****in place stayed open way longer than it probably should have. You know why? Great location. The Rat also has a halfway decent location, as well.

It isn't everything but it does play a big role.

Well, this too. North shore really only has Lynn for a BDC, Salem for an SDC. the armpit "down there" has a half a dozen BDC/SDCs.

-Mike

And yet he thrives. It isn't JUST location. He is arguably the largest independent gun dealer - probably the largest overall - in MA.

Plenty of shops over the years but they didn't make it. Because ALL they had was location. It's important, but without understanding the business, you are in the same bucket as everyone else but your leak is a bit slower. ;)

I'm not saying that with a young Carl at the helm that any SS gun shop would be #2 inside of a decade. Location is a nice thing to have. But Carl's done a ton to help his own cause when others didn't have that sense of the market.

(I also think Holly helped a ton. She was great marketing.)

And yet he thrives. It isn't JUST location. He is arguably the largest independent gun dealer - probably the largest overall - in MA.

Plenty of shops over the years but they didn't make it. Because ALL they had was location. It's important, but without understanding the business, you are in the same bucket as everyone else but your leak is a bit slower. ;)

I'm not saying that with a young Carl at the helm that any SS gun shop would be #2 inside of a decade. Location is a nice thing to have. But Carl's done a ton to help his own cause when others didn't have that sense of the market.

(I also think Holly helped a ton. She was great marketing.)

The used gun page engine thing he has was kind of a big deal. This drove lots of traffic to his site and keeps people coming back. (and back 10+ years ago a lot of the fudd shops in MA had little or no internet presence, but FS did. )That was the "thing" that got me to visit the shop to begin with. Being open late on thursdays helped, too.

-Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom