• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Silver City Firearms closed

I dropped off a threaded barrel to have thread protector pinned and welded, hadn't been touched in a week. Glad I picked it up and went to Dave Santurri, done in 20 min. while I waited.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sportsmans outfitters in Berkley is about 1/2 mile from route 24. Pretty good inventory for a small shop. I expect his business will pick up now that SCF is gone.

Sportsmans outfitters in Berkley is about 1/2 mile from route 24. Pretty good inventory for a small shop. I expect his business will pick up now that SCF is gone.

For those in the Mansfield/Easton/Stoughton area, thats just a bit too far. Zero Hour was perfectly placed off of 24 as it was before the highway went into the depths of the SE MA woods of nowhereness lol

Too bad the Rat is the rat. North Attleboro is at the junctions of rt 95/1/1a/495 and 295

I have a friend who works there, even with all the past shenanigans it doesn't appear to have hurt them. I would say they are still the largest dealer down this way in terms of volume. At least that's what my friend tells me. I do most of my business with Shooting supply or Village Sports and now probably Troy City based on what I have heard so far. Commonwealth Firearms turned into a big disappointment and I won't even start on Pheasant Ridge!

When SCF first opened an I consigned a bunch of guns with them and they were really nice to deal with, how things change.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what will become of the old Carr's shop in Taunton, would be sweet if another gun shop went there.

Last edited:
I have a friend who works there, even with all the past shenanigans it doesn't appear to have hurt them. I would say they are still the largest dealer down this way in terms of volume. At least that's what my friend tells me. I do most of my business with Shooting supply or Village Sports and now probably Troy City based on what I have heard so far. Commonwealth Firearms turned into a big disappointment and I won't even start on Pheasant Ridge!

When SCF first opened an I consigned a bunch of guns with them and they were really nice to deal with, how things change.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what will become of the old Carr's shop in Taunton, would be sweet if another gun shop went there.

I always take a walk around in NET on a regular basis to look at the ammo when Im going to other stores int he area (like J&Js Card and Coin), and the place is also frigging empty! When I first got into shooting, I had to wait for counter help, now I never run into that. I won't ever buy from them, unless I find something I cannot find anywhere else near me.

I have a friend who works there, even with all the past shenanigans it doesn't appear to have hurt them. I would say they are still the largest dealer down this way in terms of volume.

The rat's store has been around forever and it has a good location, in relative terms. Outside of the rat his staff that I dealt with are decent people, too.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Yes good location except for the shitty road.

Yeah, that was like ****ing fallujah down there. [rofl] In between the road and being so close to Brockton...

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the new shop in fall river just opened last week (troy city tactical) plus the 2 in westport (village sports and ??The reloading one???) on rt 6 and FTS on new Bedford....there are options just a little further south...
Baystate Trading Post in Rehoboth is awesome

I always take a walk around in NET on a regular basis to look at the ammo when Im going to other stores int he area (like J&Js Card and Coin), and the place is also frigging empty! When I first got into shooting, I had to wait for counter help, now I never run into that. I won't ever buy from them, unless I find something I cannot find anywhere else near me.

I stop in there occasionaly and shoot the shit with my buddy, there pretty well stocked nowadays but I think everyone is at this point.

Yep, downtown Taunton beside Pacheco's Jewelry. Part time venture to start. It will be called Armour Sports. Type 07 FFL as well.

Wow. Never saw this thread. Never had a desire to hit SCF or buy some bait. But that sounds like a bad situation. :(

I bet a shop located just off RT24 in the Bridgewater area would do great if it was properly managed and had some money behind it. The problems with the shops around here, most are comfortable just making a living.

Isn't there/wasn't there a shop right on or just off 123 in Braahhhktin? 5 min off of 24 in the exact area you are describing. Of course, you need an armored car to get there. ;)

Rt 1 is bad, thinking more like 495/1 or 495/24 connector areas like within 2 min of either. The foreigners would drive down for that. Not so much if its in the weeds through 900 stoplights in one of those armpit towns.

-Mike

I'm not so sure. I think the reason FS works is also the density of people within 20 miles of the location. That, Carl's dedication to making it a good business and decent employees spell a lot of volume. That's a magical combination.

Yes good location except for the shitty road.

LOL. I never ventured into ZHA. Drove by plenty of times. But I checked online and was never happy with their prices. I was hoping to check it out after the remodel. I guess not.

I live close to it. It is always closed when I drive by. the building was really "let go".

It was "let go" 20 years ago. Old man Carr was old. His daughter helped him run the shop. I purchased a few guns there. Carr was an honest guy in a tough business in this AO. Just not enough volume. He'd have some interesting pistols in the case every so often. I think he was selling his own collection to pay the bills.

There is also a new place in Somerset on 138. Haven't tried it, yet.

Isn't there/wasn't there a shop right on or just off 123 in Braahhhktin? 5 min off of 24 in the exact area you are describing. Of course, you need an armored car to get there. ;)

Fairground Traders?

Very nice folks that owned it, retired Brockton PO and Wife. Both are now deceased and shop was demolished last time I drove by there (since he closed, I almost never drive by there).

Yes! I was only in once or so. Nice people. Shop in the right place. Still wasn't Four Seasons. That takes a lot. Location is only part of the issue. (And granted, Brockton wasn't a prime "location". LOL)

I think we give location too much credit for Carl. Not to continue genuflecting to the guy, but he was (and is) in an office building. With crappy waaay-too-small parking spaces out back. In a somewhat convenient, but not completely Wally-World-Esque convenient place.

All that said - tough business to be in. People tell me that when I retire I should either open a gun shop or a restaurant. I tell them all, not usually politely. . . .including my wife, to go pound sand. ;)

I think the north shore is better for gun shops because people on the north shore probably have more disposable income. Just look at house prices on north shore vs south shore.

Y
I think we give location too much credit for Carl. Not to continue genuflecting to the guy, but he was (and is) in an office building. With crappy waaay-too-small parking spaces out back. In a somewhat convenient, but not completely Wally-World-Esque convenient place.

There isn't giving it too much credit. It's within a few minutes of THREE major highways in MA and within 20 minutes of 495 and rte 2. There's also only like 2, 3? stoplights to deal with and a dunks on the
way out. How can you really get better than that? FS has a lot of flaws but location isn't one of them.

Food for thought... The gun room was the WORST gun shop in MA by a ton of people. That ****in place stayed open way longer than it probably should have. You know why? Great location. The Rat also has a halfway decent location, as well.

It isn't everything but it does play a big role.

I think the north shore is better for gun shops because people on the north shore probably have more disposable income. Just look at house prices on north shore vs south shore.

Well, this too. North shore really only has Lynn for a BDC, Salem for an SDC. the armpit "down there" has a half a dozen BDC/SDCs.

-Mike

It was "let go" 20 years ago. Old man Carr was old. His daughter helped him run the shop. I purchased a few guns there. Carr was an honest guy in a tough business in this AO. Just not enough volume. He'd have some interesting pistols in the case every so often. I think he was selling his own collection to pay the bills

Walter was a good guy for sure, he was in the business for a long time and i used to enjoy it when he would talk about the old days (60s and 70s). For whatever reason they just seemed to not invest in the place or just lacked the interest, IDK. I scored some nice pieces there over the years.

There is also a new place in Somerset on 138. Haven't tried it, yet.
Don't bother!!

Back
Top Bottom