• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Silly gun range rules

I belonged to a club in Western Mass with a bizarre rule; you could not bring any guests, unless they were out of staters. Unless they were from Connecticut, which still meant they could not be brought in as guests.

I assume it was to discourage moochers, but not prevent some member from bringing his cousin or uncle from some place far away out to the range for some shooting. Other than that, it was a pretty decent range.

The main one I go to is 5 mins from my house, the range master looked at my AK and said no autos here! I said to him that it is not an auto and the reply was yes it is look at that mag! He said to me that people are complaining about gun fire here on the weekends.. No shit! it is a gun range! Well after a bitch or two he left the range and I bump fired 60 rounds off.. thats about as close to auto I am going to get out of it...

This is just venting.. but I must also say, this is the same range master that a few months ago was at the range drinking beer and shooting... grrrr

BillK: then you need to go talk to the club leadership about that.

I will not say the club, but for most part it is a "bar"

I am sure in past times the club was a great place, but the people on the board now need to learn that members are a foundation, not just a number.

If it was not for the close distance, I would not be a member.

While I'm out in California for work, I figured I'd visit a range that rents not even a mile from the office. I went last week with a friend and we had a great time. Well, I went back tonight to get some range time in since it's boring back at the hotel. I was alone this time, I showed my ID and asked to rent. They informed me that I was not going to be able to rent since I didn't have a shooting buddy. They won't rent to anyone who is alone and doesn't have their own firearm. They claimed the reason was for fear of suicide. That didn't make sense that if you have someone with you, you can rent. So, their theory that if someone has someone with you, they aren't going to commit suicide. They also tried to make a claim that it was also to prevent prohibited people from renting, again not making much sense.

I figured, maybe if I asked to get a 'lesson' I could rent. Nope, wrong again they won't rent to people wanting to learn to shoot.

I thought us "gun" people were supposed to stick together and not make up rules that make it harder to enjoy our sport.

Just really made my day even more annoying.

Just a question as far as range's go.
My club has a 100 yard range which is for a lack of better terms "down hill" being that the shooting house is higher then the target/back stop by about 15' or so.
How many ranges do this type of set up?
This spring we are going to be raising the back stop mound by another 5'. so that the back stop is actually higher then the shooting house. As far as we know no one has ever shot over the back stop.
The only down fall to this step up is that if you bring a shooting rest and set it up on the bench you need to raise the back end so as to be pointing down.

Back
Top Bottom