Signs of overpressure?

Paleoman

NES Member
Picked these up today at a Steel Challenge. No marks that they were reloads, but I'm guessing they must have been, right? Wouldn't see that with factory would I?

I've not encountered that with reloading, but I always check the cases I pick up.

I'm tossing them, as no sense in taking a chance. Plenty of other cases to use.
500891a6f8ab0d51adba33b5f93529de.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Damn. I'd bet it was that guy shooting a CZ Czechmate with 9mm major loads today.

Its why I don't bother picking up brass at competitions.

Last edited:
"Maybe". Picking up.others brass is a bad idea anyways, unless we're talking casual shooters. USPSA and steel shooters frequently "sort by worst brass" in things like 9mm and .40, and basically plan on abondoning it at matches and saving the less abused stuff for practice.

I know that when I attend any shoot where I want my brass, I mark them with a sharpie or use a brass catcher. I have mixed brass cases for car shoots and such.

"Maybe". Picking up.others brass is a bad idea anyways, unless we're talking casual shooters. USPSA and steel shooters frequently "sort by worst brass" in things like 9mm and .40, and basically plan on abondoning it at matches and saving the less abused stuff for practice.

This, and it doesnt have to be a reload to signs of over pressure.

I usually toss the marked brass. This range is used for action shooting practices and events.

Good to know about the brass at events.

I mark my brass as well for my reloads. Sort of surprised if reloads, would think they would use lighter loads.

Sort of surprised if reloads, would think they would use lighter loads.

Yeah I think many people like using lighter loads. But there was a guy running a CZ Czechmate open gun which REQUIRES 9mm major loads to cycle the gun. I would bet $10, that this was his brass you found.

I chatted with him since I was drooling over his $3,000+ CZ. He was using HS6 powder (slow burning powder great for major loads) and 115 or 124 gr JHPs. So to meet the 9mm major PF (165) he had to have been pushing the 115's at least 1,435 fps. 1,330+ fps for the 124s....

Last edited:
Yeah, toss them. I would freak if my primers completely filled the pocket like that.

Yep. 9mm brass is so damn cheap and plentiful that I don't bother wasting time picking up brass at competitions. Not worth the risk or the effort IMO.

The brass may not be bad just because of the over pressure.... i pick up and reload everything..
with all the reloading ive done ive never had an issue. Not that you couldnt have a case head seperation or rupture.

When reloading you just removed any cracked/split cases . After the next firing youll notice less cracks/splits when reloading.

Now if you loading hot loads this would be a bad practice.. but how much over power factor do you need to be?

Or just Federal primers.

Likely.

Whoa- My understanding is to flatten out primers on 9mm rounds you are WAY over pressure.

Not necessarily true. Primer type has a lot to do with how and when they flatten.

Yeah, toss them. I would freak if my primers completely filled the pocket like that.

I have some loads for rifle and pistol that I aim for that result.

The brass may not be bad just because of the over pressure.... i pick up and reload everything..
with all the reloading ive done ive never had an issue. Not that you couldnt have a case head seperation or rupture.

When reloading you just removed any cracked/split cases . After the next firing youll notice less cracks/splits when reloading.

Now if you loading hot loads this would be a bad practice.. but how much over power factor do you need to be?

Even with really hot loads, you'll just get neck cracks on pistol brass. Rifle brass you need to lookout for weak/thin webbing at the bottom so you don't get case separations. Those take a bit more experience to spot.

Loads are always going to be dependent on the combination of items you are using. If you run a hot load, you shouldn't swap primer types and start at the same load.

If you're loading in small increments to test where you are at, you'll get cratered primers before you start popping them. I don't worry about flat primers, but when I see a cratered one I know to go back down a notch. Example: 115gr 9mm with CCI400 primers and Titegroup powder. Listed max is 4.8. I start to see flattening at 5.0/5.1 and cratering at 5.3/5.4 in hot weather.

(Not picking on Andrew, several posts say similar)

I'm sure you all mean, to take home with you. Not helping pick up brass at the range is considered bad form.

Food for thought- the ROs should say something about this at the conclusion of the last stage if they want assistance cleaning the ranges after the match is over. I don't get to shoot matches that often, but I would have no problem helping people clean up, but someone has to ask. If nobody asks then people will assume you already have folks assigned to help with that kind of thing.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom