• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

signal cannons in Mass

I use tin foil cartridges for my "beer can" mortar.... The tin foil helps prevent the accidental ignition of a charge when loaded if there are any smoldering embers from the previous charge....

P1080166.jpg

Greybeard Outdoors has one of the best cannon/mortar forums that I have found to date...

Here is a thread that goes into a fair amount of detail for an upcoming design/casting effort:

Group buy-group pour, bronze 24 PDR Coehorn golf ball mortar

Lots of good discussion on design/pour considerations...

You don't swab between rounds?

Does anyone know if these requirements apply to the Micro Cannons that fire a BB or .177 pellet?

In *this* state I would assume it does. Caliber does not qualify whether a firearm is a firearm.

If not and you came to the "attention" of police, don't bet that they will agree.

On the other hand, I would imagine with that small a charge you're probably not going to be challenged.

On the other other hand, if you *are* noticed and they *are* considered cannon, you're screwed.

I can't see why they wouldn't, as caliber is not a determinative criteria.

http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/source/mass/cmr/cmrtext/527CMR22.pdf

I wasn't questioning the caliber requirement...only using it as a reference so people would know which micro cannon I was referring to. I guess my question would be whether these "Micro Cannons" are actually considered cannons per the MA definition. These use less than 2 grains of fffg black powder. Also, any ideas on how MA defines "Carriage"?

Thanks again for the info!

Sadly some large number of people got paid way too much to write up that stupidity. When I grew up, we had cross country races and other events start with cannons. This would be impossible in MA. [thinking]
They even prohibit the use of torches... [rolleyes]

I am sure that these regs were put in place after a raft of serious cannoneering fatalities and wild fires.
Pitchforks must be in there somewhere.

Awhile ago atmay or someone else around here was basically joking that, the way the MGL/CMR is on this, if you used like a rope/sling system and hoisted a cannon into a tree and fired it while it was suspended, it wouldn't fall under the law, because of the stipulations of "ground" and "carriage". LOL

Without beating a dead horse, much of the new anti-cannon came from the development of the Charlestown waterfront area. There were mariners that had small cannons. The biggest kerfuffle shit-makers was due to the USS Constitution using its signal cannon.

https://northendwaterfront.com/2009/11/charlestown-residents-complain-of-cannon-shots/
“Commanding Officer Timothy Cooper received the most recent complaint two weeks ago from neighbors suggesting naval officers assigned to the historic vessel eliminate the morning and evening blasts on weekends, reduce the size of the gunpowder charge and turn down the volume of the national anthem recording played during the daily flag raising and lowering ceremonies.

“The residential population and congestion of this area has (sic) grown significantly and, it seems to us, that the cannon charge/noise is excessive,” the unidentified resident first wrote in an Aug. 26, 2009, letter obtained by the Herald.”

I remember that whining around 2011.

Seemed the general consensus was roughly "yo dawg, they were here first. You knew this when you moved in. Put on your big girl pants and learn to deal."

Without beating a dead horse, much of the new anti-cannon came from the development of the Charlestown waterfront area. There were mariners that had small cannons. The biggest kerfuffle shit-makers was due to the USS Constitution using its signal cannon.

https://northendwaterfront.com/2009/11/charlestown-residents-complain-of-cannon-shots/

It's almost like every curtailment of people's rights comes on the cusp of people who want to increase their newly acquired property's value by ignoring or outright violating the property rights of others...

My buddy has one in NH on the big lake. Pretty cool.
Many years back a neighbor had one (MA) that fit a V-8 veggie juice can. He would load it and shoot a cement filled can out of site.
Reminds me of shooting golf balls out of a pipe powered by M-80's from a pile of gravel.
Clearly not smart in retrospect.

There is even a group buy on cannons right now.
I'm in it, and would be happy to "compensate" someone for their assistance:)

It's almost like every curtailment of people's rights comes on the cusp of people who want to increase their newly acquired property's value by ignoring or outright violating the property rights of others...
Dude, it's MA, of COURSE their rights are more important. You get that when you wear sweaters draped over your shoulders with the cuffs tucked in to each other and dockers shorts with dockside.

My buddy has one in NH on the big lake. Pretty cool.
Many years back a neighbor had one (MA) that fit a V-8 veggie juice can. He would load it and shoot a cement filled can out of site.
Reminds me of shooting golf balls out of a pipe powered by M-80's from a pile of gravel.
Clearly not smart in retrospect.
We used to have bottle rocket wars shooting them out of copper tubes. We put our hand on the "breech end" after loading and lighting.

I'm in it, and would be happy to "compensate" someone for their assistance:)

Dude, it's MA, of COURSE their rights are more important. You get that when you wear sweaters draped over your shoulders with the cuffs tucked in to each other and dockers shorts with dockside.

We used to have bottle rocket wars shooting them out of copper tubes. We put our hand on the "breech end" after loading and lighting.
Are you a former Westford guy? Shot a few at pontoon boats as they taunted us on Nab Lake. They sped off on the pins when one went right over their fuel tanks. WPD showed up shortly thereafter. LOL

Reminds me of when I lived in VT for a couple years. My neighbor would invite me over for a couple beers a few nights a week.
one night, be broke out this cannon he FOUND in his backyard. He proceeded to load the thing up with powder, and shoot baseball sized (aluminum or tin, I don’t remember which was safe and which would spark during loading) foil balls across his backyard, into the mountains. The “recoil” would leave a ditch big enough for a German Shepard to sleep in after every shot.
Man, that was freedom. Lighting off cannons, at 8:30pm on a Thursday, in your own yard.
Do that in MA, and CEMLEC would be kicking my door in within minutes....

Damit, I had a conversation with a guy back in May who had a MA cannonier license. He said it was very difficult to get but gave some pointers. Wish I could remember.

Damit, I had a conversation with a guy back in May who had a MA cannonier license. He said it was very difficult to get but gave some pointers. Wish I could remember.

I too would be interested on information about a cannoniers license.
Did not know they existed. I thought they fell under black powder rifle laws. I have shot hundreds of "juice bottle" rounds at reenactments (which I have not been to in a long time) in Mass, NY, CT, NH and VT and never had an issue.

Back
Top Bottom