• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sights for shotgun? (Deer hunting)

I have a semi-auto field shotgun gun I use for trap/skeet that just has a white bead for a sight. The receiver is conveniently drill tapped for a quick & easy picatinny rail. I intend to hunt deer this season here in MA and am totally stuck on what scope to get for my shotgun. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Are you planning on using the smooth barrel ? If so take it to the range and put some slugs down range just using the bead as a sight. Should be accurate enough at 50-70 yards.

I hunted for years as a kid with a JC Higgins pump smooth bore and just a bead and killed deer.

If you are set on a scope Nikon 1x4 or any other brand should be fine.
Also do you have some slugs already as they are hard to come by right now

Are you planning on using the smooth barrel ? If so take it to the range and put some slugs down range just using the bead as a sight. Should be accurate enough at 50-70 yards.

I hunted for years as a kid with a JC Higgins pump smooth bore and just a bead and killed deer.

If you are set on a scope Nikon 1x4 or any other brand should be fine.
Also do you have some slugs already as they are hard to come by right now

I took it to the range today and it shot absolutely wonderful, extremely accurate. Remington rifled slugs through a smooth barrel.
I have 10 or less slugs left. Obviously should be enough for this shotgun season but would really appreciate a store around here getting a shipment.

Thanks for the advice guys, maybe I'll upgrade the bead to something like this:
Amazon product ASIN B0002INN3GView: https://www.amazon.com/Hi-Viz-Sight-Plain-Barrel-Shotgun/dp/B0002INN3G/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=hi-viz+shotgun&qid=1605746918&sr=8-2

Most slug guns use scopes that attach to the barrel rather than the receiver because many shotgun designs, such as the Remington 870 or 1100, have quick-change barrels. Removing the barrel would alter the zero. So, most guys who use optics such as magnified scopes or red dots on shotguns use cantilever mount slug barrels.

If you're not going to use a specific slug barrel, just use the standard bead. Otherwise, use a slug barrel, either rifled or smoothbore. Most people can get a good sight picture on a deer-sized object out to 50-100 yards, which is the limit of a smoothbore barrel firing rifled slugs, unless you've put in a ton of practice making such shots.

Keep in mind a skeet or trap barrel is like 26" to 34", so be prepared to walk in the woods with something as long as a M91/30 or a WW1 infantry rifle.

Most slug guns use scopes that attach to the barrel rather than the receiver because many shotgun designs, such as the Remington 870 or 1100, have quick-change barrels. Removing the barrel would alter the zero. So, most guys who use optics such as magnified scopes or red dots on shotguns use cantilever mount slug barrels.

If you're not going to use a specific slug barrel, just use the standard bead. Otherwise, use a slug barrel, either rifled or smoothbore. Most people can get a good sight picture on a deer-sized object out to 50-100 yards, which is the limit of a smoothbore barrel firing rifled slugs, unless you've put in a ton of practice making such shots.

Keep in mind a skeet or trap barrel is like 26" to 34", so be prepared to walk in the woods with something as long as a M91/30 or a WW1 infantry rifle.

Great information, I really appreciate this. Yes, my barrel is 28"......it's not going to be fun but as soon as the 18.5" option is available I'll purchase it.

Great information, I really appreciate this. Yes, my barrel is 28"......it's not going to be fun but as soon as the 18.5" option is available I'll purchase it.

I'm sure you can find something if the gun's common enough, provided you've got the cash. Check places like Numrich or Brownell's, or go to Kittery Trading Post. Kittery's got a barrel of, uh, barrels near their used guns.

18.5" to 24" is typical on slug guns, 20-21" is a nice middle compromise.

I'm sure you can find something if the gun's common enough, provided you've got the cash. Check places like Numrich or Brownell's, or go to Kittery Trading Post. Kittery's got a barrel of, uh, barrels near their used guns.

18.5" to 24" is typical on slug guns, 20-21" is a nice middle compromise.

It's a Remington v3 field sport, I can't find a single website with a barrel in-stock for it.

I’m fond of red dots on shotguns. Don’t need magnification at slug ranges, and the dot allows for both eyes open for situational awareness, and having the dot and target both on the same focal plane as opposed to irons.

4DDB01E6-EB58-4C4F-B601-A59804DC0094.jpeg

I would think you maybe might could just about get into a used short barrel 870 for what that v3 barrel is going to cost. Prolly just as hard to find right now though.
Put a dot sight...say maybe Fastfire 3, on the receiver of that short pump gun and you'd have the deer slayer supreme.

If your going to sit and lob some slugs on out towards some big bucks in some fields or something the Cadillac would be the Savage 20 ga bolt. 1-4x ......2-7x scope.

I had that Hi Viz on an 11-87 for a while. Was OK. It eventually flew off somewhere on a goose hunt. Be a plus for early and late in the day.
Good Luck.

Half of mine have reflex style sights, because they were on when I bought them, but they were quality and still running and work great. Will probably put a red dot on the other pump, probably not on any of the doubles.

If you don't want to spend a lot, get a Bushnell or Vortex to see if you like it.

x3. Most of your available shots are likely going to be well inside 100yds.
A bead will do but if you opt for a scope keep it simple. red dots are Ok too.
i had a shotgun i put a low power scope on, and it worked pretty well. I liked it a lot better than just the bead.

Hey, accurate aiming is important hunting deer, unless you enjoy long moonlit walks in the woods.

Shotguns DO have a bit of kick to them, so get a good brand scope that is not going to change after a little recoil

When using my 870 for shotgun hunting in MA, I used the rifled slug barrel with its open sights, and did fine. Still hunting, I shot my deer (a bit high) at ~35 yards broadside using the Premier Accutip slugs and severed its spine. Dropped straight down.

I've got a vortex spitfire 1x on an 18.5 in mossy 500. The circle on the optic lines up about right with a buckshot pattern.

Only tricky thing is shotguns tend to shake rails and optics loose, purple or blue loctite required.

I like the front fiber optic on my shotgun but if i wanted a little more out of my slugs id probably put a plain micro red dot on there. Sig, primary arms, and vortex have some good candidates you could look into.

Back
Top Bottom