• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sights for AR for high power

I am starting to get interested in NRA high power. After looking into it most people recommend an AR, so I am building an AR. Curious as to what sights people recommend? I am not planning on doing service rifle right now.

Last edited:
Those looked great until I saw the price[thinking] A little out of my league. Anything cheaper. Say under $200?

And that's just for the rear sight... Yet another reason I stick to the service rifle.

So would I be better of going with an A2 and shooting service match instead? If so can I use a carry handle on an A4, just started reading through the rule book.

So would I be better of going with an A2 and shooting service match instead? If so can I use a carry handle on an A4, just started reading through the rule book.

Removable carry handles are legal for service rifle. I prefer the old style A2 receiver with the integrated handle but it's a personal preference thing.

White Oak makes a match grade removable carry handle with the pinned 1/4x1/4 sights.

Removable carry handles are legal for service rifle. I prefer the old style A2 receiver with the integrated handle but it's a personal preference thing.

White Oak makes a match grade removable carry handle with the pinned 1/4x1/4 sights.

Great thanks for info. Only reason is I have the flat top don't want to go out and do a whole new build if I don't have to. Just starting a new build and if I don't like high power I still would have a flat top upper that I could put an optics on, etc.

Great thanks for info. Only reason is I have the flat top don't want to go out and do a whole new build if I don't have to. Just starting a new build and if I don't like high power I still would have a flat top upper that I could put an optics on, etc.

Fair enough. You can be just as competitive with a good removable handle. That what most (all?) of the AMU guys are using and they do OK for a bunch of doggies.

Fair enough. You can be just as competitive with a good removable handle. That what most (all?) of the AMU guys are using and they do OK for a bunch of doggies.

Not trying to win matches. Well it would be nice. Just competing, having fun, and learning to shoot is what I'm looking for. If I start to get good/serious I can justify spending $600 on sights and building a new gun.

Not trying to win matches. Well it would be nice. Just competing, having fun, and learning to shoot is what I'm looking for. If I start to get good/serious I can justify spending $600 on sights and building a new gun.

That's a good goal.

The old, used Redfield International rear sight can still hold a good click if you can find one (usually under $200). Pair that with an Olympic front with wire apertures and you are into it for under $300.
Forgot to add in mounts. Those will add another $100-$200.
Minimum $500, and that is with used sights.

Forget it; real men shoot Service Rifle.

Back
Top Bottom