• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sighting in question, 10/22

Buddy has a 10/22 put into an Arch-Angel stock, added a BSA Red-dot sight. He says he is now shooting like 3-4 FEET high at 25 yards. The gun was dead-nuts accurate with irons before the stock swap.

What gives?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

He said he gave it 50+clicks, still high. that was yesterday, we're at work now. ive never had a red-dot that far off, can you just "keep clicking"?

I've had optical scopes mounted badly or "off" inside that I ran out of adjustment on, don't know if that's possible on Red-dots or if they just keep going

There are a bunch of different BSA dots out there so it's hard to say how much each click actually adjusts it. If he's like 150-200 MOA off, yeah that's a lot of clicking no matter what. Are you sure the dot is mounted correctly?

It's on a rail, so I'm not sure how off the mounting could be, but anything is possible. He's buying a shotgun (hopefully at his LGS, not a big box store) this week, gonna ask them to boresite it. We'll see what happens :)

Didn't realize there was that much adjustability in a red-dot... Learn something new every day around here :)

I've always had a problem with scopes, I almost feel I need to run a cordless screwdriver on them for a few minutes sometimes.

That's my biggest "complaint" with my 10/22 - it is SUPER Finicky - and any new ammo will result in me sighting in forever to get it back on zero.

It sounds like the rail is not very level to the receiver/barrel. Is the rail mounted on the Archangel stock, or on the action of the rifle? He is probably going to need to shim the rail.

while not the same, i bought a bsa "sweet .22" scope for my 10/22 last year after several recommendations from people here. turned out to be the biggest piece of crap EVER! had much the same experience your buddy had but at 50 yards. i kept turning the directional knobs what seemed like a crazy amount of turns to get the impact point to move. and i could only get it close, never quite "on." i've mounted enough scopes in my time and never saw this issue this bad. lucky for me i bought it local and not via online so i just took it back and exchanged it for one of the nikon .22 scopes. problem solved. they say first impressions, right? this experience put me off bsa products. just sayin', it may be a bum optic.

Too many unknowns here. I'd check all the hardware and look for an assembly problem.

The last guy I came across who couldn't zero his rifle optic was leaning on the barrel as he bench rested his rifle while shooting.

It's on a rail, so I'm not sure how off the mounting could be, but anything is possible. He's buying a shotgun (hopefully at his LGS, not a big box store) this week, gonna ask them to boresite it. We'll see what happens :)

Didn't realize there was that much adjustability in a red-dot... Learn something new every day around here :)

I was given a 'monstrum' sight, and it wouldn't zero at max adjustment on a 10/22 or a Sub2000. It wasn't me, because a cheap red dot did, and so did the barka sight that replaced it. it happens with chicom cheap optics
I

I've had a few BSAs over the years, mounted on 22 rifles, a couple of high-points both 9mm and 45,never a problem, even holding zero. The problem in this case is that he hasn't yet GOTTEN to zero, even with 50+ clicks of adjustment.

Do you have the manual? If not you can Google the manual and dowload. On my Leupold scope anyway it was 1 click = 1/4 inch at 100 yards. Which means 1 click = 1/16 inch at 25 yards. So 16 clicks per inch of movement at 25 yards. 50 clicks is not outrageous if your way off to start with.

But.....at 4 feet high at 25 yards.....something seems off on your mount. I've mounted many Scopes and red dots and never been off an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper at 25 yards with the first shot.

Last edited:
The receiver is not fitted to the stock correctly. Those stocks can be a PITA. That's why they tell you to put it in the oven before trying to fit it. Tell him to strip it down and start again. If the receiver doesn't go all the way into the stock then the rail sits like a ramp pointing up. I've run into this before when fitting the stocks to customer's rifles.

The receiver is not fitted to the stock correctly. Those stocks can be a PITA. That's why they tell you to put it in the oven before trying to fit it. Tell him to strip it down and start again. If the receiver doesn't go all the way into the stock then the rail sits like a ramp pointing up. I've run into this before when fitting the stocks to customer's rifles.

+1. With this much errant elevation, you should be able to 'barrel' sight it by looking down the outside of the barrel. A misc piece of stock or something is under the barrel or rail.

need to start from ground zero..... installation of the add on equipment is probably not done well.
Also need to know if his red dot adjustments are "correct" I have a handfull of cheep scopes where the "up" is "down" and "left" is "right"

Much more info needed.
If He is shooting really high his dot is pointing "low" the lower the dot is the higher your gun will shoot....

My guess is the rail, scope and everything else is mounted poorly. or his red dot is FUBAR.

while not the same, i bought a bsa "sweet .22" scope for my 10/22 last year after several recommendations from people here. turned out to be the biggest piece of crap EVER! .
I bought same one on line to mount on 10/22 for Appleseed shoot. Sat around for a while before I mounted it Sighted in fine but after about 300 rounds through it (mid morning of Appleseed) scope lost ability to focus and I had two fine cross hairs and a blurry target. Warranty repair would have cost shipping both ways so tossed it. Never bsa again

Pop off the red dot and zero it with iron sights to check the stock fit. Then work on the red dot, deal with one variable at a time.

The kit doesn't come w/ irons and you have to drift the factory sights off the rifle to mount it. So, unless he has a set of BUIS laying around that wouldn't be an option. I do agree with the one variable at a time approach though.

The rail is part of the upper receiver cover. It bolts to the lower cover and through the rail into the holes that mount the original 10/22 rail. It is a PITA to get it to fit correctly. If the front of the upper cover isn't mated to the lower cover correctly, then you will create a ramped rail by tightening the screws that go through the rail to the receiver. It creates a low spot in the middle of the receiver and a high spot at the front since the plastic cover will flex down until it hits the receiver.

So took a perfectly good shooting 10/22 stuck a $100 of plastic on it and is having problems....got to love it.
Any way .... is it the 556 style stock with the wrap around stock, free rail looking thing?

The kit doesn't come w/ irons and you have to drift the factory sights off the rifle to mount it. So, unless he has a set of BUIS laying around that wouldn't be an option. I do agree with the one variable at a time approach though.

The rail is part of the upper receiver cover. It bolts to the lower cover and through the rail into the holes that mount the original 10/22 rail. It is a PITA to get it to fit correctly. If the front of the upper cover isn't mated to the lower cover correctly, then you will create a ramped rail by tightening the screws that go through the rail to the receiver. It creates a low spot in the middle of the receiver and a high spot at the front since the plastic cover will flex down until it hits the receiver.

Is it possible to over torque the upper rail/cover causing it to bow?

Lots of info, guess he needs to start over. He did say he had some fitment trouble getting the receiver into the stock, guess he needs to start again. Sounds like that will be the biggest variable. I'm gonna print all of this out for him and wish him luck. We work together but live an hour apart, getting to the range together will be HARD.

As to BSA stuff, I've had a couple, generally no issues. One of them has been upgraded off rifles onto a crossbow, I'm slowly upgrading everything. I completely agree that you get what you pay for, but optics ain't cheap and when you keep buying guns...

Lastly ,as I recall he said it was "just like the 5.56 stock" so all of those issues may well apply. We'll see what happens, I'll report back:)

Is it possible to over torque the upper rail/cover causing it to bow?

If it is sitting flush against the receiver, I wouldn't expect that over torquing alone would cause it to flex. But since it is polymer it can have a bit of a natural bow to it. In which case under torquing the front bolt would be the problem. I've done a handful of them and they are a tight fit so it is easy to miss a small gap because the tightness makes it feel like a solid fit. The manufacturer recommends putting it in the oven to soften it. That lets it mate up to the receiver cleanly.

I've never used an oven but I have used a heat gun to soften all but the first one I did, then re-did. Lesson learned. [smile] The thing with the heat gun is, you really have to be careful to not liquefy the surface of the area you are heating. I use the low setting and heat it just enough for it to expand and soften just a bit. It doesn't take much.

zeroing a scope, red dot, whatever, is not rocket science. rifle in a rest or vise preferably, take a shot at known distance, adjust knobs until cross hair is on the hole, done

if that doesn't work, scope is defective.

I bought same one on line to mount on 10/22 for Appleseed shoot. Sat around for a while before I mounted it Sighted in fine but after about 300 rounds through it (mid morning of Appleseed) scope lost ability to focus and I had two fine cross hairs and a blurry target. Warranty repair would have cost shipping both ways so tossed it. Never bsa again

I keep hearing stories about how bad the "Sweet 22" is but I haven't seen it. I have two of them and they work great. They have been holding up to Appleseeds just fine. Everyone who uses mine seems to like them and some have even gone out to get one after using mine.

They seem pretty decent to me.

It appears that BSA has several different scopes they are throwing into the "Sweet 22" name. They are not all the same. Some have adjustable parallax, others do not. Some have the drop calculating turret, others don't. Some have the parallax adjustment on the front bell, others have it on the side.

Maybe there are good variants and not so good variants. Maybe I just haven't gotten a bad one yet.

I have had good luck with the 3-9x40 with the parallax adjustment on the front bell and the calibrated turrets for bullet drop.

Is the sight mounted on the rail directly or in sight mounts. If mounts, are the mounts too high for the sight, making the adjustments out of range?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom