• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sigarms Academy's Black Rifle Skillbuilder

Cross-X

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Dealer
NES Member
Fellow NESer Jon Green and I had a great time up at the Sigarms Academy yesterday shooting at the Black Rifle Skillbuilder course.

Our instructor was a guy named Adam who had the military and firearms instructor credentials, and much more importantly, the polished skills, to help us hone our long gun technique. We started the day doing snap drills at seven yards, starting from a relaxed position with our guns slinged in front of us, and then, when we heard him yell "Gun!", pivoting the rifle up to our shouldered our rifles for a quick double tap to center of mass.

From there we moved on to movement and shoot from behind barricade drills, transitions from rifle to pistol when the rifle ran dry, to shooting on the move going forward and backward, and then doing some distance work out to about 150 yards, shooting at man-sized steel target that yielded a satisfying "ping" when hit. Somewhere along the way we took time out to clear a few plate racks with our pistols

In all, we shot at least 300 rounds of rifle, and maybe 100 rounds or so with pistol. What a great and interesting day! I'll be going back next month to attend the Combat Shotgun Skillbuilder.

These classes are bargain priced at just $125 each. They supply the instructor and the venue, and you bring everything else. Helluva deal!

Darius Arbabi

Cool stuff. Sig has some great classes- I've been to a few. Everyone should try to get to some of the hand gun classes with Bruce Gray.

Bruce Gray is a man of diverse talents. Prior to his life as a Sig instrutor, Bruce worked as a high end pistolsmith in Pennsylvania, and has been known to do some pretty wild things to HK handguns. Confucious say man with stents should marry nurse (Bruce can explain).

Last edited:
Rob, I concur fully on Bruce.

If it invovles an HK or a Sig product, Bruce is the man, period end. He
also works on most other handguns, but the two aformentioned brands come
to mind with him because he's one of the few smiths out there who is willing
to do some pretty intense work with Sig and HK products.

He's also one of the most laid back guys I've met, in terms of being
modest and personable. Nearly all of what he says about some
aspect of pistolcraft, wether it's gunsmithing, or shooting skills, always
has some real substance to it.

-Mike

Rob, I concur fully on Bruce.

If it invovles an HK or a Sig product, Bruce is the man, period end. He
also works on most other handguns, but the two aformentioned brands come
to mind with him because he's one of the few smiths out there who is willing
to do some pretty intense work with Sig and HK products.

He's also one of the most laid back guys I've met, in terms of being
modest and personable. Nearly all of what he says about some
aspect of pistolcraft, wether it's gunsmithing, or shooting skills, always
has some real substance to it.

-Mike

He's not too bad with a 1911 either. I have a friend who owns one of his race guns[grin]

Someone please cough up his contact info?

Some folks may want to follow up for work and it helps to know where he is and how to contact him.

Thanks.

Darius:

Weren't you at the Surgical Speed Shooting class in July?

I missed out on the skill builder due to work. Had Adam as an instructor for Defensive Rifle. He has his shi*t in order doesn't he.

I hope they through a couple more rifle classes in soon. If not, we should get Pat Rogers, Jeff Gonzales or Paul Howe up for a Carbine Operators course.

Darius:

Weren't you at the Surgical Speed Shooting class in July?

I missed out on the skill builder due to work. Had Adam as an instructor for Defensive Rifle. He has his shi*t in order doesn't he.

I hope they through a couple more rifle classes in soon. If not, we should get Pat Rogers, Jeff Gonzales or Paul Howe up for a Carbine Operators course.

Yes, I sure was at the SSS course! Andy Stanford is one of the best. I look forward to taking another class from him if he comes back here next year.

As far as the Sig Academy goes, Adam can shoot, Adam can teach, and Adam made for a fun, challenging, informative day.

Back
Top Bottom