• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig Sauer

To emphasize what a couple of folks said earlier: Get something you can afford to practice with. Because, if you want to be proficient with a weapon -- and you DO want to be proficient, right? -- you'll need to practice a LOT.

Get a P226 in .22LR (don't stop reading yet) and get the 9mm conversion kit for it. By buying it in .22LR instead of 9mm originally, you'll save yourself over a hundred bucks. AND good quality .22LR ammo is about one-third the cost of 9mm ammo (seven cents per round for the 22 assuming CCI Mini Mags vs 21 cents for the 9mm assuming S&B bought in volume). So, you'll be able to practice a ton without going broke.

Once you're a good shooter with the P226, start looking at carry guns.

No offense intended, so please don't take this the wrong way: Please... don't carry a firearm until you're capable of using it effectively. Ask yourself if you'll be helping or hurting a bad situation if you can't reliably hit the bad guy at 10 yards. It'd be a bad idea to miss and hit a bystander, you know? I'll get off my soap-box now.

T
Once you're a good shooter with the P226, start looking at carry guns.

No offense intended, so please don't take this the wrong way: Please... don't carry a firearm until you're capable of using it effectively. Ask yourself if you'll be helping or hurting a bad situation if you can't reliably hit the bad guy at 10 yards. It'd be a bad idea to miss and hit a bystander, you know? I'll get off my soap-box now.

No offense intended, but should the OP send you a PM when he has fired a certain number of rounds so you can let him know if he is safe enough and qualified to start defending his life? Gee, it would be a shame if someone beat him to death with a tire iron because he didn't want to hurt an already bad situation.

Buy a 9mm -226 and get to the range. Practice and carry it. Millions of guys that enlisted were handed a centerfire pistol and taught how to shoot. They handed me a 45 that was twice as old as i was that probably would have been more effective if I had thrown it at an enemy, but they made me qualify with it.

Sure, I own 22's and they are a great training tool, but frankly if you can shoot a 22 you can shoot a 9mm

I'm still very new to shooting, but the best advice I got was to get something that 1) you could afford to practice with, and 2) feels comfortable to you. For me that was a 9mm P226. Your results may vary. See if you can try a few out first. I shot several at MFL before deciding on the Sig. 9mm has been recommended a lot so far, and I think for good reason. It has a great combination of cheap ammo, low recoil, and still being an effective defensive caliber.

I was certain that my first firearm was going to be a SW M&P because of everything I read about them. Then I was able to try out multiple manufacturers and found that I was most comfortable with the Sig.

My cousin bought one as his first purchase but he's still trying to figure out how to hit the targets. [laugh2]

SR1911 cool looking gun. In Mass with no LCI it ships with 10lb trigger. Fixed that with drop in kit. Kept old pieces in case I ever sell it. Trigger now 4.5 lbs (would not want it any lighter) and 50ft I can do a decent 8" group but expensive to shoot.

This would be news to me. Why would any 1911 ever need to have a 10lb trigger?

Hey All, Thanks for your input. I was out window shopping today, and Have decided that 1st Firearm Purchase will be a S&W M&P 9mm full size. I was advised by my Awesome Teacher at Down Range Firearms in Woburn, KEEP AWAY from the 40's!! So I will, shot the M&P 45 was fine, but ammo will cost more .

Trying to decide now if the M&P 9mm will be a comfortable CCW? Still going to get the Shield 9mm also. As a first time Firearm buyer, what problems will I incure getting two firearms? The LTC is "in the mail" and can't wait to spend some $$$

Should i wait, and how long to purchase second firearm.

Thanks to you all.

Exactly what kind of trash was the amazing teacher talking about the beloved, versatile .40?

Why not split the difference? Instead of getting the full-size 9mm and the shield, get the M&P9c. Small enough for comfortable CCW, yet large enough not to punish yourself at the range.

+1 THIS

Another option with the M&P9c would be to purchase additional M&P9 (full size) magazines and add a X-Grip magazine extender. It will give you a M&P9c with a longer gripping surface. Love it this way for CCW with a cover garment. Gives you the ability to carry with either the shorter or the longer grip on a compact M&P9c frame.

As stated above, get something you can afford to shoot often (like 9mm), and practice, practice, practice.

http://x-grips.com/products/sw.html

Not to highjack and old thread but i've got a quesiton...someone said they were told to stay away from .40 and I'm wondering why?

I'm still waiting on my LTC so not ready to buy yet but from what i've shot I like the P229, but haven't decided on a caliber. I have noticed though that a lot of .40 are available on the used market. Is there a flaw Sig's design on this caliber?

My thought was to pickup one of these used .40's then grab a .357 barrel down the road.

Not to highjack and old thread but i've got a quesiton...someone said they were told to stay away from .40 and I'm wondering why?

I'm still waiting on my LTC so not ready to buy yet but from what i've shot I like the P229, but haven't decided on a caliber. I have noticed though that a lot of .40 are available on the used market. Is there a flaw Sig's design on this caliber?

My thought was to pickup one of these used .40's then grab a .357 barrel down the road.

It's just that most of the 9mm fans hurt their limp little wrists when they shoot the vastly superior .40 round. As long as you take plenty of calcium for strong bones you should be just fine.

Why would any one who lives in mass limit them selves capacity wise with a M&P. There are tons or prebans for the glock, sig, hk, and 3rd gen S&Ws floating around.

Grab a glock 23 in 40 and get a 9mm conversion barrel for cheap practice. Better yet get an advantage arms .22 conversion and shoot 3 diffrent rounds from the same platform.

Hey,

Newbie looking for info. Still awaiting my LTC, thinking of S&W M&P 9mm Shield,,,, But saw a article of a Sig Sauer P224. My Question, is this a MAss compliant firearm? Does anyone out there carry as a CCW?? If this has been asked before, I'm sorry, new to NES and still getting the kinks out. Any help would be appreciated.

Have a Safe Holiday Weekend.

welcome to NES, all SIGs are great guns, but they are really expensive... even for the common ones, (p229, p226, etc..) this one will be tough, consider all your options... like a maybe a gun easiER to find. maybe a glock 19/23 as a CCW.

Back
Top Bottom