SIG Sauer will sell a limited release MCX-SPEAR in 277 Sig Fury

Yeah, kind of easier for me. Probably a bad habit. I find racking with my left on a standard AR to be a little awkward. I know I should just train through it, but I have to urge to hold the rifle with my left on the foreend and rack with my right after taking it off the grip. The left side charger accommodates my questionable form* without any real downsides.

Edited to say: That last sentence didn't make sense. What I meant is that the side charger allows me to have correct form without feeling awkward.
It's just slower and the ability to acquire a target and shoot while your hand is still in movement to the foregrip. Another issue is with malfunctions, to remove the mag and work the action, re-insert mag, get back to work. If you are using your right hand on a standard AR, you will be in a world of hurt to remove the mag, and work the action without fumbling around with the rifle. If your hand is away from the pistol grip, you can't work the safety. The beauty of the AR platform is how pretty much everything can be done with your hand on the pistol grip. The only time I use my right hand for anything is to lock the bolt back, which only happens during a complex malfunction, or to safe the weapon.

It's also super tacti-cool.

So basically Sig swallows and the rest spit.
Man, there's going to be a LOT of 556 sitting around for a while. Even if they 'shoot it off', it's going to take a while as units transition to the new platform.

My agency switched back to 9mm before I retired. Stations were shipping .40 to various locations that were going to be the last to transition. It took almost a year before there was enough 9mm stockpiled and everyone had pretty much switched. I'm pretty sure there's still a 'lot' of .40 sitting around waiting to get excised. I can't imagine a global organization doing such a thing logistically speaking.

edit: To be fair, my agency went from .357mag, to 40, to 9mm.

Man, there's going to be a LOT of 556 sitting around for a while. Even if they 'shoot it off', it's going to take a while as units transition to the new platform.

The NGSW is only going to be fielded to combat arms/maneuver elements. The vast majority of the military will still be using 5.56 M4s.

Even better, the logistics of having 2 different calibers in circulation. What could possibly go wrong?
We already have both 5.56 and 7.62 in common circulation, even among an infantry squad. The M110A1 is 7.62 and is widely fielded in combat arms now.

There shouldn’t be logistics issues as a result of fielding 6.8. We already field 5.56, belted 5.56, 7.62, belted 7.62, 300 win mag, 50 bmg, 40mm, 40mm belted.

We already have both 5.56 and 7.62 in common circulation, even among an infantry squad. The M110A1 is 7.62 and is widely fielded in combat arms now.

There shouldn’t be logistics issues as a result of fielding 6.8. We already field 5.56, belted 5.56, 7.62, belted 7.62, 300 win mag, 50 bmg, 40mm, 40mm belted.
I'm just thinking there's going to be 2 very different rounds for typical ground pounders. The other stuff is more specialized, either sniper or machine gun stuff. I don't think anyone would confuse the 40mm stuff with trying to stuff it into their rifles, but I have seent it.

I'm just thinking there's going to be 2 very different rounds for typical ground pounders. The other stuff is more specialized, either sniper or machine gun stuff. I don't think anyone would confuse the 40mm stuff with trying to stuff it into their rifles, but I have seent it.
It’s not really an issue. There are unbelted 5.56 and 7.62 getting along in harmony within the same squads currently. 6.8 for combat arms and 5.56 for support won’t be an issue either.

The one case that I think could be problematic would be 300 blackout. Some SOF are using it, but wide scale use would be terrible with accidental chamberings.

I'm not about to do the drawings, but I'm now curious about 277 and 308 chambering in each other...
Just looking at a picture and comparing their shoulders, I would say the .277 Fury wouldn’t fully chamber in a .308.
Going the other way, looks like the .308 neck diameter would keep it from chambering in a .277 Fury.
Levi-Sim-7.jpeg
Left to right: 6.5 CM, .277 SIG Fury, .308 Win. (Photo: Levi Sim)

The "machine gun stuff" isn't "specialized" at all. Virtually every unit in the army (trans, supply, chemical, mp, signal, engineer etc...) will have m249, 240b, m2, m4/16, mk19, m203 on its property books.

The NGSW is only going to be fielded to combat arms/maneuver elements. The vast majority of the military will still be using 5.56 M4s.

….assuming they don’t crap out on it, which the DOD does an awful lot. 🤣

Just looking at a picture and comparing their shoulders, I would say the .277 Fury wouldn’t fully chamber in a .308.
Going the other way, looks like the .308 neck diameter would keep it from chambering in a .277 Fury.
View attachment 606274
Left to right: 6.5 CM, .277 SIG Fury, .308 Win. (Photo: Levi Sim)
Thanks. I'll probably confirm later, but I think you're right. Looks like the 6.5 could feed into the 277, but would probably be about as safe as 308 into 30-06... safer, actually, since the projectile is too small.

It’s not really an issue. There are unbelted 5.56 and 7.62 getting along in harmony within the same squads currently. 6.8 for combat arms and 5.56 for support won’t be an issue either.

The one case that I think could be problematic would be 300 blackout. Some SOF are using it, but wide scale use would be terrible with accidental chamberings.
Ok. THIS gets through to me. So what are they(?) 11B will get the 6.8 and a 42R will carry 5.56.

A cookie for the first person to post what a 42R is.

Was it worse than command staff for a federal agency?
Never ran a range for command staff so can't compare. But....the band showed up on the bus and only half of them brought a Kevlar......a bunch didn't even bring their LBV. The "give a shit" meter was set to low let's put it that way.

Never ran a range for command staff so can't compare. But....the band showed up on the bus and only half of them brought a Kevlar......a bunch didn't even bring their LBV. The "give a shit" meter was set to low let's put it that way.
Ok, yeah, that's worse. My guys/gals actually showed up with armor. After typing it, I realized I didn't even need to requal anyone due to failure, so there's actually quite a downside to overcome. My chief was a BORTAC'r, was nice to see someone with eagles on their collar only put one or two outside the 5 ring.

Sig’s website also says MCX barrels are restricted in MA so what would they know? But looks fine except for pinning something to the 13” barrel.
Folding stock, included suppressor, SBR (I think).

I’d need to get my FFL to hack / extend/weld/remove etc to get it into compliance. Bring the price tag to $9k for sure.

And then need glass, and booletts are like $3/round or some crazy thing.

Back
Top Bottom