SIG Sauer will sell a limited release MCX-SPEAR in 277 Sig Fury

JRT

NES Member
What's a reasonable price? And even if it was, how much is ammo? $3/round?
$3,500 maybe, if that optic is a Tango 6T like I think it is. That's $1400 glass, $800 for the silencer and the balance for the rifle. Yeah it's probably going to be $4,000.

This seems as good a thread as any to ask - why are folks so in love with side chargers?

You go through the trouble to make the whole rifle ambidextrous, including the rear handle. Then you add a charging handle that really only works well for righties? Now you have another assembly you have to buy that can break or jam, and another place that FOD can get into the inner workings.

And for what, so your support hand doesn't have to move as far? So you can maintain your cheek weld? Help me out here, what am I missing?

This seems as good a thread as any to ask - why are folks so in love with side chargers?

You go through the trouble to make the whole rifle ambidextrous, including the rear handle. Then you add a charging handle that really only works well for righties? Now you have another assembly you have to buy that can break or jam, and another place that FOD can get into the inner workings.

And for what, so your support hand doesn't have to move as far? So you can maintain your cheek weld? Help me out here, what am I missing?
Your missing your combat ribbon from the moms basement campaign against mice and other rodents.

Fck Sig. I’m still bitter about how long it took to get a 11.5” virtus barrel. The mcx went into storage and out came the ole reliable AR.

Is this MA Compliant? So if I leave the range with this and I get pulled over by the state police I won't have problems right? Also does it come with paper work and is it registerable. See the only reason I ask us because I have a class A unrestricted LTC but it was issued post-healey. Cash in hand and thanks in advance.

Is this MA Compliant? So if I leave the range with this and I get pulled over by the state police I won't have problems right? Also does it come with paper work and is it registerable. See the only reason I ask us because I have a class A unrestricted LTC but it was issued post-healey. Cash in hand and thanks in advance.

Regular MCX is not a duplicate or copy of AR or AR operating system, so I'd like to think this is kosher was well, save for the 20rd mags and suppressor.

For a sample size of one (me) and my right handed take: I like keeping my strong hand on the grip and controls and using my support hand on the charging handle and mags. I just find this easier to do with a left side charger than a standard AR ambi, particularly with my lower that has a bolt catch lever on the right that I can lock/release with my right hand index finger while manipulating the charging handle with my left. One could also theoretically keep a sight picture while charging with a left size charger, not that this would come up often.

I think this Spear with both options is a bit overkill though.

I just find this easier to do with a left side charger than a standard AR ambi, particularly with my lower that has a bolt catch lever on the right that I can lock/release with my right hand index finger while manipulating the charging handle with my left.
Is this just a balance thing? The AR charging handle is designed to be run with the left hand, like you describe; you just have to get your head out of the way.

(Genuinely just trying to understand different ways of running a gun)

Pm sent. I know a guy.

Is this just a balance thing? The AR charging handle is designed to be run with the left hand, like you describe; you just have to get your head out of the way.

(Genuinely just trying to understand different ways of running a gun)

Yeah, kind of easier for me. Probably a bad habit. I find racking with my left on a standard AR to be a little awkward. I know I should just train through it, but I have to urge to hold the rifle with my left on the foreend and rack with my right after taking it off the grip. The left side charger accommodates my questionable form* without any real downsides.

Edited to say: That last sentence didn't make sense. What I meant is that the side charger allows me to have correct form without feeling awkward.

Outside of some states only allowing that (there was some hinky stuff like banning any rifle with a charging handle.)

I looked into a side charger as an alternative to a bolt-action upper. Plus I'm a southpaw, so it gave it that straight-pull without having to re-position myself using a bolt gun upper made only for wrong handed (what we lefties call right handed).
Rotate the front sight block 180 degrees, and you now have a straight-pull.

It was finding a side charger that would do what I want without a gas system that was an issue.

Outside of some states only allowing that (there was some hinky stuff like banning any rifle with a charging handle.)

I looked into a side charger as an alternative to a bolt-action upper. Plus I'm a southpaw, so it gave it that straight-pull without having to re-position myself using a bolt gun upper made only for wrong handed (what we lefties call right handed).
Rotate the front sight block 180 degrees, and you now have a straight-pull.

It was finding a side charger that would do what I want without a gas system that was an issue.
I don’t understand your whole post, but if you wanted a non-semi AR, just remove the gas tube and block off the gas port. Turns into a bolt action gun with spring return.

Back
Top Bottom