• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig Sauer P320 Fails Drop Test

Watch the video (I just did)... Not sure how often it would be dropped in the way they found it to fire, but I can see it happening. The guy that was dropping them has balls of steel too...

Or is smart enough to use primed cases, not live ammo [emoji23]

Very interesting. Great testing. Wonder how many other Stryker fired pistols will do this if dropped in this manor?

Probably not many, assuming theres a tit on the trigger that stops the mechanism from moving under inertia. I don't think
there are many striker fired autos that don't have one of those "trigger tits" on them. Kahr is one of the few others I can
think of.

-Mike

Very interesting. Great testing. Wonder how many other Stryker fired pistols will do this if dropped in this manor?
none of my glocks will do that. [emoji6]

that was a very well done video and very thorough. its a great gun but SIG should correct the problem, it should not fire whichever way it is dropped.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have never seen anything erupt this fast and widespread between social media and forums. Accurate or not I'm sure more testing will follow. As a general rule of thumb I try never to drop a gun.... any gun! Haven't dropped one yet.

Note to Mass Attorney General, according to this test a lighter trigger pull is safer.

Last edited:
Probably not many, assuming theres a tit on the trigger that stops the mechanism from moving under inertia. I don't think
there are many striker fired autos that don't have one of those "trigger tits" on them. Kahr is one of the few others I can
think of.

-Mike

I have always thought it was odd that Sig neglected to "tit" their triggers. Seems simple and unobtrusive enough that is is a no brainer.

It would be nice to see this verified by someone other than a youtube video.

Three different members of pistol-forum reported that their pistols failed in exactly the same way. Another p-f member reported that his pistols passed the test.

Check out that thread:

P320 drop safety issues
<https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?27008-P320-drop-safety-issues>

Watch the video (I just did)... Not sure how often it would be dropped in the way they found it to fire, but I can see it happening. The guy that was dropping them has balls of steel too...
I was going to say I did not imagine a person dropping it in front of his feet. Damn.
Some sort of a released device behind bulletproof glass would have been fine lol.

Excpetional test though and they took many variables in consideration.

Sig just issued a press release for a voluntary recall

https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/sig-sauer-issues-voluntary-upgrade-p320-pistol/

[h=2]SIG SAUER Issues Voluntary Upgrade of P320 Pistol[/h] Published Date: 08/08/2017

P320 pistol meets requirements for industry and government safety standards; performance enhancements optimize function, safety, and reliability.
Newington, NH (August 8, 2017) – The P320 meets U.S. standards for safety, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) / Sporting Arms Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI®), National Institute of Justice (NIJ), as well as rigorous testing protocols for global military and law enforcement agencies.

The design of the SIG SAUER P320 overcomes the most significant safety concern in striker-fired pistols today: the practice of pressing the trigger for disassembly. This can be performed with a round in the chamber which has resulted in numerous incidents of property damage, physical injury, and death. The disassembly process of the P320, however, uses a take-down lever rather than pressing the trigger, eliminating the possibility of discharge during the disassembly process.

Recent events indicate that dropping the P320 beyond U.S. standards for safety may cause an unintentional discharge.

As a result of input from law enforcement, government and military customers, SIG has developed a number of enhancements in function, reliability, and overall safety including drop performance. SIG SAUER is offering these enhancements to its customers. Details of this program will be available at sigsauer.com on Monday, August 14, 2017.

The M17 variant of the P320, selected by the U.S. government as the U.S. Army’s Modular Handgun System (MHS), is not affected by the Voluntary Upgrade.

“SIG SAUER is committed to our approach on innovation, optimization, and performance, ensuring we produce the finest possible products,” said Ron Cohen, President and CEO of SIG SAUER. “Durability, reliability and safety, as well as end-user confidence in the SIG SAUER brand are the priorities for our team.”

Note to Mass Attorney General, according to this test a lighter trigger pull is safer.

That's not what they found.

They found a lighter (less massive) trigger is safer, not the trigger *pull*.

they're talking about the weight (mass, really) of the actual trigger lever, the thing you touch, *not* the force required to pull the trigger.

So we send them back and what happens? They shave weight off the trigger?

Replacement to a lighter one, which brings up the question of where the apex triggers fit into this mix as the x5 triggers aren't being changed. Personally I was thinking that making them out of carbon would be the best option, which is something I might do this winter.

I'm guessing the reason the M17 (Government Version) is not being recalled is because it has a manual safety like the MA compliant one?
Personally, I have both a MA compliant and a "Free-State" version of the P320 and I find the MA compliant manual safety is invasive.

Still a great firearm, fits my hands unlike HK and Glock.

I'm guessing the reason the M17 (Government Version) is not being recalled is because it has a manual safety like the MA compliant one?
Personally, I have both a MA compliant and a "Free-State" version of the P320 and I find the MA compliant manual safety is invasive.

Still a great firearm, fits my hands unlike HK and Glock.

Can you drop the MA version for us and see what happens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock fanboys are loving this one. IDGAF I still prefer the P320 to the Glock, HK and S&W I've owned.

I mean, p320 has more options like you can shoot someone without squeezing the trigger, as matter of fact you don’t even have to hold your Sig. However, if you are holding it all you have to do is keep tapping the back of the slide. I think that’s pretty bad ass.

Back
Top Bottom