• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SIG SAUER in the news

So glad I have a Sig now...granted, mine's the 229, but of all my automatics, after having shot this bad Larry, I have to agree, that it has an awesome trigger - the reporter said the 226 is a limited production model? I thought it was fairly ubiquitous...

I agree with the Marketing (for once), it is a very balanced weapon.....but the model is the same226...with an anchor engraving? Does that mean if I laser engrave Veritas a la the Boondock Saints on mine, I up the value!? Kidding.Kidding.

It also has some "special" anti-corrosion process. Phosphate or something like that. I think it's BS personally.

EDIT - From Wikipedia:
P226 Navy
U.S. Navy SEAL teams started using the SIG P226 in the 1980s.
The first Naval Special Warfare mil-spec P226 pistols to be offered to the public were the NSW Commemoratives, issued in early 2004. The SIG P226-9-NAVY is a version of the SIG P226 that is produced to the exact specifications of the pistols supplied to Navy SEALs, including special phosphate corrosion-resistant finish on internal parts, contrast sights, and a stainless steel slide engraved with an anchor to designate them as Naval Special Warfare pistols. SIGARMS raised $100,000 for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation through the sale of these NSW serialized pistols. The pistol bearing serial number NSW0001 was sold during a live auction on the nationally syndicated Laura Ingraham radio show for an additional $25,000.​

Last edited:
meh.

well, good on Sig. Im actually happy they are going to be able to make money because of this. Helps the economy AND helps ensure that more people will buy guns in general. Win-win all around.

I frankly find them extremely accurate, but very very huge. Not something I would consider carrying on me, although, for home protection would make a nice piece.

I may have to break down and try a P229 E2

The 229 is my favorite Sig. No E2's around here in PRM as far as I know, although it's pretty easy to covert one to the E2 grip.

I know (think) you like Glocks. I shoot both, and they both have their advantages, but I'll be surprised if you're disappointed. Please report back!

My favorite handgun to shoot is my beretta 92fs. I've also owned the Sig P-226 but still like my Beretta better and it's much cheaper.

I guess time will tell as details are released, but it seems unlikely that they used a pistol. Has anything officially been released besides the fact that he was shot twice? To agree with everyone else though - Sigs are great guns, I love mine.

No one knows for sure at this point. It is just speculation. It was either an M4 or a P226. 50/50 chance and great marketing for Sig.

I'm sorry I can't cite sources on this, but I'm fairly certain DEVGRU does not use standard M4's. They get their pick of whatever platform they want, outside the standard issue stuff. Given the publicly released knowledge of what they've been running recently I was given this breakdown:

60% chance it was a 10" HK 416
20% chance a MK18 CQBR
19% chance an MP7, and
1% it was a pistol (even money between a Sig P226 and HK45C)

That's right, even if it was a pistol there is no guarantee it was a P226. Again, we'll just need to wait and see.

Last edited:
It also has some "special" anti-corrosion process. Phosphate or something like that. I think it's BS personally.

EDIT - From Wikipedia:
P226 Navy
U.S. Navy SEAL teams started using the SIG P226 in the 1980s.
The first Naval Special Warfare mil-spec P226 pistols to be offered to the public were the NSW Commemoratives, issued in early 2004. The SIG P226-9-NAVY is a version of the SIG P226 that is produced to the exact specifications of the pistols supplied to Navy SEALs, including special phosphate corrosion-resistant finish on internal parts, contrast sights, and a stainless steel slide engraved with an anchor to designate them as Naval Special Warfare pistols. SIGARMS raised $100,000 for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation through the sale of these NSW serialized pistols. The pistol bearing serial number NSW0001 was sold during a live auction on the nationally syndicated Laura Ingraham radio show for an additional $25,000.​

You're right. It is BS. I believe that originally the internal parts of the Navy Sig were phosphated but the guys on the Sig Forum are saying that is not the case anymore. You may or may not get phosphated internals on a new Navy Sig. I guess Sig is shipping them both ways or maybe just old stock has the phosphate parts. You will pay extra though to have that anchor engraved onto the slide. Still a nice gun though.

You're right. It is BS. I believe that originally the internal parts of the Navy Sig were phosphated but the guys on the Sig Forum are saying that is not the case anymore. You may or may not get phosphated internals on a new Navy Sig. I guess Sig is shipping them both ways or maybe just old stock has the phosphate parts. You will pay extra though to have that anchor engraved onto the slide. Still a nice gun though.

Exactly right, the most accurate, authoritative post I have found on the subject is on THR:

Chem Geek said:
1st: NSW *** *** Limited edition run with $100k being given to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. All came with phophated internals and a certificate of authenticity.

2nd: U *** *** These were supposedly contract overrun pistols Sig had made for the Navy that they released to the civilian market. Non-railed frame, phosphated internals.

3rd: UU *** *** These are railed Navy models sporting American made frames.

4th: U *** *** These are railed Navy models (currently being sold) sporting German made frames.

All models are supposed to have phosphated internals like the original NSW pistols. It seems that only the NSW pistols were supposed to have certificates of authenticity, although other production run Navy's have had them as well for whatever reason. They come with 3 mags typically, which may or may not be phosphated.

When it comes down to it, unless you're in a saltwater environment, it funcitons "just" like a Sig P226R with a gold anchor on the slide. And by "just" I mean, it's an awesome shooter that I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy! :cool:

I have a ~ June 2007 UU Exeter NH (US) framed Navy with all phosphated internals, a buddy of mine bought a Navy towards the end of 2007 and has a (newer) German made U frame without them. I'm guessing all of them moving forward have the Navy slide dropped on a standard P226 frame and parts. Sadly, they never updated their marketing literature, so you need to know what you're looking for.

That said both have been great shooters with 0 malfunctions, still can't go wrong. Even if they're cutting corners on parts.

I frankly find them extremely accurate, but very very huge. Not something I would consider carrying on me, although, for home protection would make a nice piece.

Carry? That's what the p239 is for...[smile]

sent from tapatalk mobile app

Hehehe. I'm 6'0 and 150lbs wet, and here you can see me concealing a P226 rail in a VMII and a crossbreed belt.

sig1.jpg

sig2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom