SIG Sauer goes bankrupt; Eckernförde HQ to close

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
SIG Sauer to shutter German weapons factory
It blamed "locational handicaps" hindering its diverse pistol and sports guns sales, claiming a "few other local producers" were preferred in government purchases for Germany's police forces and Bundeswehr military.

Public broadcaster NDR quoted manager Tim Castagne as saying the workers' council at the Eckernförde site, established in 1951, had been briefed about some 125 job losses as well plans to fulfil purchase orders.

"Due to its international orientation, SIG Sauer is systematically excluded from tenders [in Germany], said Castagne, intimating, said NDR, that most of its weapons were developed in the United States.
I gather "locational handicaps" means restrictions on non-LEO, non-military sales domestically.

View: https://twitter.com/eha_news/status/1268538284864659459?s=20

Interesting, I’m sure the US branch will stand for a while though glad I never opted into sig

I would expect that SIG is a prime supplier to the Swiss gov?
as such I would expect that they would not allow SIG to go away.

I just can not see the Swiss gov to go out sourcing their arms mfg. if for no other reason than national pride.

SIG in the US has had record civilian sales this year (was told by a white shirt employee a couple months ago).. they do get a significant amount of their sales from LE/military, forget the figure but it was surprising, like 2/3 or something.

Pre-packaged bankruptcy, this is actually good news for the industry and customers. The company will be in way better financial shape going forward.

Last edited:
How do you go bankrupt in a time like this? Is the german branch a completely different entity? Didn't Sig just win a major US military contract a couple years ago?

Never mind, the bankruptcy part was added by the op. Fake news, only a plant is closing.

Last edited:
We need to 'Operation Paperclip' all those engineers, machinists and gunsmiths... mach schnell

I really want a German XFixe and XSix!

As someone who owned one and liked it, honestly a P226 Legion SA will get you 95% of the
way there. The only big difference at that point is the accuracy at long distances. Shooting a 6" or 8" gong at 50 yards with the XFive Competition was like
cheating.

Back
Top Bottom