Sig Sauer Export Ban: To keep or sell your Made in Germany Sigs?

I apologize if this topic is a dupe, I did a search prior to posting. I am sure everyone is aware of the export on German Sigs to the states because of the apparent Colombian "straw purchases." If not, see link below...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-28291070

When the new style X5s came out, I purchased an Entry in 9mm with the hopes of turning it into a race gun of sorts. Every thing is stock, save for a pair of Hogue Gmascus grips. For the past year, I have called Sig periodically to find out when more parts/add-ons will be available. At first, it was six months, then 8 months, then (and the latest update)..no plans to make parts available in the states. This kind of scares me- not from an accessory point of view, but getting support for my German made X5 if something goes wrong. Not to knock Exeter, but I would ideally want German made parts put back on my German made Sig..maybe im weird like that...I dont want to end up with a Franken-X5 made up of mismatched parts.

My question is this: Is now the time to sell German made Sigs? I am not a collector- I shoot the hell out of all my guns but the X5 is still in pristine condition. I had an FFL (at my local range) offer me $400 more than what I paid for it this past weekend... What does NES think? Hold onto German made Sigs since there is no end to the ban in sight and things in Germany from a manufacturing standpoint do not look good, or sell off German made Sigs to collectors who will hoard them? I like the X5, but have many other "toys" that I shoot more often... if it werent for the ban, I would hold onto it- but not being able to get parts/service for it concerns me....

selling a sig is like selling a small piece of one's testicle.
i speak from experience.

I have several W. German Sigs. I shoot them but not a lot. I carry them as well but there is little wear so far.

I turned my buddy onto a 220 of 85 vintage IIRC. If he didn't buy it I was going to even though I own a 220 W. German already. It was absolutely beautiful.

Today's production guns don't do a lot for me so I don't own any other than my 239. Come to think of it that's the newest pistol I own.

Personally I'd keep the gun and buy something else to beat on but everybody's budget is different.

If you like the gun keep it, if you don't, dump it. I don't see these guns getting a huge amount of extra value because of perceived rarity. On the other hand if someone offered me $400 more than I paid I'd be very tempted.

-Mike

If you like the gun keep it, if you don't, dump it. I don't see these guns getting a huge amount of extra value because of perceived rarity. On the other hand if someone offered me $400 more than I paid I'd be very tempted.

-Mike

I agree that these guns wont gain a lot of extra value but my concern lies with not being able to get parts for it or having to pay out the ass for NOS parts (as aforementioned, i actually shoot my guns). I like the gun, but dont know if the time is right to sacrifice it to the collectors and make a bit of money... I guess I will just have to think on it.

[snip]
This kind of scares me- not from an accessory point of view, but getting support for my German made X5 if something goes wrong. Not to knock Exeter, but I would ideally want German made parts put back on my German made Sig..maybe im weird like that...I dont want to end up with a Franken-X5 made up of mismatched parts.
[snip]
I am not a collector- I shoot the hell out of all my guns but the X5 is still in pristine condition.
[snip]

Based on this, and the fact that German parts are going to become extinct, your options are to hoard extra parts now, stop shooting the gun so you don't break anything, continue shooting and live with using NH replacements, or gut it and replace with NH parts now and replace with German parts when you sell.

Personally, if someone offered me that much more than I paid, I would have sold it before he finished the sentence. No offense meant, but I don't think X5's are ever going to be collectable to the point where you'll be kicking yourself for "only" making $400 on it. There are gazillions of 1911 style guns in circulation -- take the money and run, and build the G34 race gun of your dreams [smile]

Just buy a couple of nh extractors ejectors and springs and swap them in and keep spares. I love the X5, but ive never bought one. My wg 226 is my fav gun. Im probably nearing 100k rounds and have only recently replaced the barrel and springs. Your x5 should last just as long without needing much.

The highest prices will always be when things are first restricted. That is when the panic sets in. If you are thinking of selling, now is most likely when you will get the best price.

You said he "offered", did he put the cash in your sight? Call his bluff, sell it and take the $400 profit.

My thread has been hijacked by testicle talk and fair market value. I. did. not... see this coming.

At least make it a I did nazi that coming it is a German sig. I own two sigs not in any rush to get rid of them both are nh sigs and I love them and plan to get more sell it now. Nothing different same blueprints materials manufacturing process one says nh one says Germany if someone is that much of an elitist to pay you extra money to have Germany stamped on the side. Well then this here's a story about Billy Joe and Bobby sue in my opinion. But I would be remiss if I didn't ask how much u want for it lol.

I don't pretend to be any sort of a SIG expert. But from the models I have seen, I have not seen a huge difference in the quality of the NH made and euro models. Not like Beretta or HK where there is a big difference (IMO).

Since this is a straw purchase, will Gates, Panetta, Hagel, and Carter be going to jail?

At least make it a I did nazi that coming it is a German sig. I own two sigs not in any rush to get rid of them both are nh sigs and I love them and plan to get more sell it now. Nothing different same blueprints materials manufacturing process one says nh one says Germany if someone is that much of an elitist to pay you extra money to have Germany stamped on the side. Well then this here's a story about Billy Joe and Bobby sue in my opinion. But I would be remiss if I didn't ask how much u want for it lol.

I also own a couple NH Sigs and love them...definitely not an "elitist" debate.... The deal with the X5s is that they are ONLY MADE IN GERMANY...as in, not in NH so you cannot buy them in Exeter or any retail store in this fine country anymore. If we were talking a German P226 or 9 and someone wanted to give me $400 over purchased price, I would sell it in a heartbeat and buy a NH one and pocket the change..

Last edited:
I agree that these guns wont gain a lot of extra value but my concern lies with not being able to get parts for it or having to pay out the ass for NOS parts (as aforementioned, i actually shoot my guns). I like the gun, but dont know if the time is right to sacrifice it to the collectors and make a bit of money... I guess I will just have to think on it.

You're not gonna,need parts that often. Get some spares and chill. Those guns don't wear fast, and you're probably not running it super hard.

You are shitting us, right? Let's see, shoot until it breaks or sell for a large profit and sooner or later some yahoo will have the same thing listed on Gunbroker for $400 less than he paid. Those are your choices?

Do you earn money with this pistol?
Is it the only one capable of defending your life?
Is it the only pistol capable of winning some shooting game?

You are shitting us, right? Let's see, shoot until it breaks or sell for a large profit and sooner or later some yahoo will have the same thing listed on Gunbroker for $400 less than he paid. Those are your choices?

Do you earn money with this pistol?
Is it the only one capable of defending your life?
Is it the only pistol capable of winning some shooting game?

hm, not sure what the hell you are saying here or where you are going with it (earn money with this pistol? capable of defending my life? winning a shooting game???)..this isnt a SHTF firearm or some sort of hunger games scenario where I have one gun to rule them all. I have many guns..Im going to go ahead and stop trying to make sense of it all.

To prevent more nonsensical posts, I will come out and say that I have decided to keep it- I like it, and will deal with what happens when/if it happens. Making $400 on it is a pretty sweet deal, but I find enjoyment in shooting it so will continue to do so. Thanks to most of you for your insightful posts.

Last edited:
If you don't need the money for something better, then getting rid of it is kinda pointless.

-Mike

What "Big" difference in Beretta? Saw a video that said the Italy and USA 92FS's are exactly the same.
The slides are slightly different. The flat spot on top of the slide is wider on the Italian than the American by about an 1/8 in. Supposedly the finish is a little better and the barrel chromed out to the crown on the ITA as well. That's about the most I can tell from when I was shopping for one.

Back
Top Bottom