• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig Sauer Academy Defensive Rifle Course Review November 2013

I recently took the Sig Academy's "Defensive Rifle" course at their HQ in Epping, NH, and wanted to post a review as an update to the one posted by Andy T in 2009.

I will first review the course itself, split into day 2 and day 1; then do a third post for gear stuff. I will likely mis-remember the sequence of some of the drills/content, but hopefully I will cover all the main topics and pertinent points.

Sig Sauer Academy
"Defensive Rifle" - Intermediate Level Course
2 - Day (weekend) class; 08:30 to 17:00 (approximately)
Cost $400 (20% less if you signed up within 20 days of another Sig Academy course)

The week before the course our instructor Ken Allen e-mailed us twice with extra info and tips such as the weather forecast, suggestions for a 2-point sling, and approximate ammo counts. The academy website states 900 rounds rifle and 150 rounds pistol, but Ken suggested that we may shoot closer to 1300 rounds rifle and 300 rounds pistol. This is definately a step up from what Andy T reported in 2009 (500 rounds rifle, 100 rounds pistol).

Saturday morning we met as instructed at 08:20 in front of the Pro-shop, to avoid any confusion or people getting lost, as it was as very busy day at the academy (multiple classes plus a NRA law enforcement competition). The class consisted of 10 guys (1 no show, no gals); everybody was from the Northeast, more on the class members and their various training/gear in the second post.

Ken gave us directions to the classroom (#5, a heated/powered trailer near the rifle ranges), then went with those that needed to rent equipment/weapons (free of charge) and he also brought along ammo if requested (this was tracked and paid for at the end of the course). The day started out cold so I did some quick PT on the pull-up bars and dip stations near the classroom, then waited for Ken and the other students to drive down.

After everyone was settled in the trailer, we started with a brief overview of the days events: ~1 hr of intro in the classroom, dry-fire drills, live-fire drills, zeroing, then more live-fire drills. Ken also introduced himself: He is a Federal Forestry Service Agent specializing in search and rescue and frequently conducts solo patrols over large outdoor areas; conducts training privately as well as a member of the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors; and a gun/shooting enthusiast. Ken was very approachable, friendly, and quick to acknowledge the limits of his own training and expertise.

For the classroom portion (after basic safety stuff, waivers, etc.) we started with ballistics 101 using 5.56/.223 data: sight offset (assuming a 2.5" above bore sight) at different distances (5/10/25/35/50/100/200yds), penetration of pistol/shotgun versus .223 in commonly found home contruction materials, and terminal energy at different distances. We would be doing a 50yd zero, which would correspond with an approximate 230-250yd zero, which Ken felt was a reasonable cut-off "effective-range" for the defensive carbine. He explained most carbine calibers including 5.56/.223 and 7.62x39 could hit at greater distances but multiple hits become increasingly necessary as bullet velocity decreased and shot placement became less precise especially without a magnified sight. We also went briefly over point vs precision shooting.

Then we hit the 100m rifle range. We kitted up but started with rifle mags loaded with 6 bullets each only. Everybody started out slung up using a straight North to South "safe" position. We practiced basic static standing unsupported dominant side shouldering and firing of the rifle dry, then 3 rounds center of mass while "walking-back" to 50 yds (3 rounds static @ 5,10,25, etc.). During the walk back we practiced emergency and tactical reloads, and the kneeling supported and unsupported positions. At the 50 yard line Ken demonstrated shooting from the prone position, which we all then used to zero our optics. This is one portion of the course that I felt could have benefited from an assistant instructor to speed up the pace a bit. We then moved back to the 5 yard line and re-drilled sight offset. At this point we took a 1 hr break for lunch (12:30-13:30)

After returning from lunch, we loaded all magazine to capacity, then practiced one handed transitions to the pistol, with the support hand guiding the rifle to a safe position. We drilled at the 5 yd line, then did the walk back drill to 100 yds using whatever position we needed to achieve head shots (4"x4" square), with increased round count, mixed in some "failure drills" (2 to the chest, 1 to the head), and transitioning to the pistol if at an appropriate range (for our class' skill level this was under 25 yards) Once we got to the 100 yard line we reversed the "walk-back" drill, but shot steel as we advanced to the 25 yard line for better immediate feedback. A few of us got caught switching to pistols from too great a distance, and not performing tactical reloads when needed. Ken had a sharp eye and was able to refocus us on the objective of the drill (to effectively engage our targets at whatever distance we were at, not just throw away lead downrange).

At this point we finished off our day by unloading and making our firearms "safe". Shooting ended around 17:00, I actually drove off Sig Sauer Academy property around 17:30

Thanks for the info, looking forward to your next post.
I'm taking a week long rifle class there soon.
Was all of the pistol on the outdoor range or did you need frangible?
Thanks,
David E.

All pistol work was outdoors and the instructor stated that rain or shine we would be shooting so he recommended we bring rain gear just in case. So frangible ammo was not required, though I ended up shooting a bunch of 7.62x39 frangible supplied by Sig, my rifle ate it up, though the bolt was slow and "felt funny" because of the lower powder load in the round. Second post will be up soon.

Review Part 2/3

Defensive Rifle Day 2, actual time spent @ Sig Sauer Academy 08:30 - 18:30

Day one was focused on the basics and safety (though Ken expected all of us to know the manual of arms for our rifles and have basic proficiency in their operation), day two was about having FUN while learning more advanced (and unorthodox) shooting techniques and positions.

But before we could go have fun we had to wait till 12:00 due to town ordinances. We talked equipment with samples brought in by Ken including battle-belts, chest –rigs, magazines, compensators, stocks, weapon lights, optics, and a lot of other AR parts. Lunch was from 10:45 – 11:45, Ken wanted to try and start shooting as close to 12:01 as possible.

We started at the same 100m rifle range and drilled tactical communication, scanning, and turning and shooting, rifles dry at first, from the low ready. After Ken verified that we were all turning and engaging our targets safely, we switched to live fire. We practiced 90 and 180 degree turns in both directions, using communication before engagement, scanning 360 degrees, then communication after. Ken emphasized really seeing and cataloguing the environment not just making the motions, a lesson I learned well in a previous Sig Academy class (handgun 103) when the lead instructor pulled out his knife and just held it near his chest (only 1 person in the class actually saw/knew what was in his hand).

To bring it all together we practiced in teams of 2 from the 25yd line: starting facing each other, conversing with each other. Then on whatever signal was used whether verbal, firing by the instructor, firing by another designated class-mate, etc., both teammates turned and fired on each designated targets downrange. Depending on the competency level of the team Ken would increase the round-count necessitating reloads w/ covering fire, and/or transitions.

We then practiced advancing from the 100 yard line as a group, shooting steel, then paper as we got closer, using the appropriate positions to engage the targets effectively, incorporating all the previously taught techniques/knowledge. Ken is a proponent of moving then shooting; focusing on moving to get to cover, then shooting.

We tried out different seated shooting positions including “Indian” style, legs out, and the “lounge-chair” method using the sling around the support side knee to lay back and shoot from a very low position. I couldn’t get the lounge-chair position to work very well but it might just take more practice/time to get comfortable.

To “graduate” from the regular 100m rifle range we individually performed a run-and-gun course of fire (all steel targets):Starting from standing, both hands off the rifle, engage 3 targets while prone, 2 shots each, from the left end of the 100yd line / Hustle to the other end of the 100 yd line (right) and engage, standing unsupported, 2 elevated man-sized targets @ approximately 75m away, 3 shots each / Run approximately 75m to just under those elevated targets and using cover, engage 2 more targets 3 shots each / Run back to the 100m line after scanning. Performing this scenario individually allowed each class member to run at their own pace, while still making it challenging for everybody.

After everyone ran the course safely, we packed up and went to the “Alamo” (there might be another name). We started with unorthodox shooting positions to shoot through variously shaped and positioned ports in separate shooting bays: roller-over prone, “prison” prone, “baby” prone. Ken demonstrated different positions but the main point was to get each of us to figure out what worked for our own gear and bodies.

We then went into an open ended barn, with the open end being down-range. We ran this next exercise in teams of 2. Each team advanced in parallel, approximately 5yds at a time starting at 50yds; one on the left side of the barn, the other on the right, shooting at targets on either side of a car. The teammate on the left shot the target on the right, and vice versa (cross-fire): 5 shots center of mass, then at the end of the barn 2 to the chest, 1 to the head, then transition to the pistol, 3 shots center of mass. Then the team retreated back down the sides of the barn reversing the sequence of fire.

Our final event of the day was a 3 level structure (the name escapes me right now) with ladders running through out to change levels, and multiple shooting ports of varying shapes and at different heights facing downrange. One started by climbing to the top level from the side/outside, then worked your way down, then up again, then down again, then up to a simulated roof area. We were instructed to engage 3 steel targets, one behind the hood of a car, one in the rear seat, and one behind the trunk of the same car. Each and every shooting port was to be used to engage all 3 targets, 2 rounds each (6 rounds per port). If I remember correctly the total round count was 168 for 28 ports/shooting positions. Many of the ports required unorthodox shooting positions. I’m a short guy so a couple involved me on my tippy-toes, and I was still able to engage the targets effectively. There were 2 structures, mirrors of each other, so 2 people went at a time. The rest of the class was assigned positions from which to engage other targets downrange, including some fun reactive steel plates.

When everybody had run through the structure we made our weapons safe and went back to the trailer/classroom for debrief. The time was 18:00, and after the debrief it was 18:30.

The class size was 10, several from MA, 2 from RI, 1 from NY, 1 from ME, 2 from CT and the rest from NH. Only 2 members of the class had any non "responsible citizen" training. One gentleman had served as a Marine, and another worked as a PMC abroad. The age range was also very broad from mid 20's to 60's.

My Gear:
I ran an almost new Arsenal SAM7R (milled AK, mass compliant, ~500 rounds through it) with a US Palm grip, a VTAC 2 point padded adjustable sling, and an Aimpoint PRO mounted on a cheap UTG quick-release side-mounted rail. I used steel Eastern European (German, Bulgarian) AK mags, 4x30 rounders and 4x20 rounders. My 30 rounders were upgraded with US Palm followers, which I think gives some good benefits over the US Palm magazine itself (all metal body, feed lips, etc w/ a brand new spring and self-lubricating follower). I carried my mags in a US Palm AK Attack Rack V2. My pistol was a Sig P239 in 9mm (my carry piece) w/ +1 mag extensions, in an X-concealment MOD II holster, and Raven concealment double magazine holder.

I also wore Hatch knee pads, Mechanics Wear gloves, and IIIA soft body-armor in a cordura carrier.

The rifle ran flawlessly, it ate all the steel-cased ammo I fed through it including some old Wolf, and a box of assorted frangible and FMJ provided at cost by the academy's range master. Much more accurate than I was, gloves definately required due to heat build-up. My only gripe with the rifle itself is the standard AK safety selector. It can't be easily manipulated while maintaining your grip unless you have really long fingers.

The VTAC sling also performed very well though the traditional attachment point on the rear left side of the stock did not lend itself well to transitioning to the support side. As the class progressed and both the instructor and I became more confident in my rifle handling I ran the AK unslung most of the time.

The UTG mount was definately a weak point in my gear: on the first day after the optic had been zeroed in, I noticed that the quick release clamp was loose, so I tightened it by turning the screw. I made the mistake of doing so while the mount was off the side-rail, and overtightened the screw bending the aluminum of the mount. I didn't manage to fix the mount until that night so I ran the rest of day 1 using irons only. Besides this issue (which arguably was my fault) the mount performed admirably. I'm considering replacing it with a Midwest Industries 30mm optic mount to streamline the rifle and cut weight.

Aimpoint PRO - nothing to say really, rock solid, easy to adjust brightness and zero.

The AK Attack Rack also worked well. Construction is excellent, and it stood up to training well. It holds 4 x 30 round AK mags on the outside with bungee retention, and also has a big front zip pocket that has 3 divided sections which can hold more magazines or other gear. I stuck 3 more 20 round Bulgarian tanker mags inside and they fit perfectly. I had one extra pistol magazine on the left upper pouch and a Leatherman Charge TTi on the right.

Other people's gear:
Most of the class ran some sort of AR platform (Colt, RRA), though since this was at Sig Sauer a good number were Sig 516s (piston AR). The Marine was a victim of NY's SAFE Act so he was "stuck" with a Mini-14 Ranch using 10 round magazines, and he also had no optic mounted. Everybody else used a mixture of Eotechs, Aimpoints, ACOGs, and the rental guns had Sig red-dots. None of the Sig optics malfunctioned during the class, indicating a big step up in QC from 2009.

Everybody thought the Mini-14's main problem was going to be it's lack of optics, though the operator managed to be quite accurate with it. I'm sure speed on target suffered, but the Mini-14's real problem was numerous FTE's and it's bolt repeatedly got stuck halfway, which may have been a lubrication issue.There were also a few FTE/FTF with the DI rifles later on Day 2 of the course.

Most people ran the course with belt-mounted mag holders, though no one except the instructor was using a "battle-belt". One other class member ran a chest rig. In my opinion, for the AR platform, battle-belts are the shi*. The lighter weight of the 5.56/.223 round and magazine make it suitable for putting all the weight on your belt-line. For the 7.62x39 shooter (especially with steel mags) a chest rig is probably the way to go. Another reason I think the chest rig makes sense for me is that my rifle is for SHTF, not competition/patrol, so covertness/low-drag is not as much of an issue. Also a chest rig works well with the backpacking gear I use recreationally.

After the class was over, I also realized I really needed a light for my rifle, so I added a Streamlight Polytac on a VTAC MK4 (polymer) mount attached to the (relatively) new RS Regulate BM-1 barrel mount "system" @ the 9 oclock position right ahead of my front sling mount position. The BM-1 seems super solid and I don't think it will have any problems staying put, but I need to test how the polymer VTAC light mount and flashlight hold up to the heat from the barrel and gas port nearby.

To address my problem with the AK safety I replaced the stock one with a Krebs Custom Mk VI. Unfortunately for my AK it was not simply a drop in piece. The top of the safety was slightly too high to seat firmly in the "SAFE" position and my receiver also had an extra pin designed to prevent the safety from going below the "FIRE" position, but this prevented the Krebs safety with its extra tab from going into the "FIRE" position. I used a dremel and grind stone attachment to grind off a small amount from the top and reshape the problem area on the bottom. It was quite easy (actually my first time using a dremel), and works great now.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend this course to anybody who is at an "intermediate" level, and many members of the class enjoyed working with our instructor Ken Allen so much that we hope to organize a more advanced class with him sometime in the near future.

Last edited:
First day I used my own ammo which was a few rounds of Brown Bear FMJ (for testing), a lot of Wolf FMJ, and some KSAP FMJ. The second day I used ammo provided by Sig, which came in a big box that was completely unorganized. The majority of the ammo was a gray cased frangible ammo that made the bolt feel sluggish but ran fine nonetheless, plus some Winchester FMJ and some unknown laquered FMJ (WOLF/TULA/BBear?).

There were also random .45 ACP, and .223 rounds which made loading a very interesting practice in recognizing different calibers quickly and showed me what happens to my magazines when loaded with .223 accidentally (follower gets stuck, but rounds fall out/unload easily).

Oh yeah I forgot to address that in my review: they allow steel-CASED ammo as long as you are not using a rental gun. Steel-CORE ammo is prohibited no matter what.

YZhou4 i just found this thread and i am in aggreance with everything you said. i had also attended this course and thought it was very well put together and instructed. i wish ken had had us do a little more dry fire drills but his teaching was top knotch as expected from sig academy.

Back
Top Bottom