SIG Recalls MCX

Despite how the diagram looks, the carrier assembly can be completely disassembled. This was my original concern when first see the diagram showing that the firing pin retainer pin was "non-removable" but after inspecting it in person, it can be completely disassembled for cleaning.

310f01730d3905b239247289c248a8aa.jpg

f3fd9028f6b57962871c57d43307e135.jpg

72edc73281288b3da7a11dbbdf0bb59e.jpg

278b1575e44cb36deb002c4d1f3afa97.jpg

Is it the free floating firing pin that was causing the issue, while in a vice? I see gen 2 is not a free float firing pin.

Correct, there is a firing pin block / lock. When the hammer is released, it lifts the block out of the way, allowing the firing pin to move freely as it strikes the pin. Also, the firing pin has changed so there is now a spring in front of it to reduce slam fires (similar mod on SKSs).

Sig has implemented a MCX recall. They are proactively replacing all the bolt carrier assembly with a newer version. Send the one you have and get the new version in about 10 day business days. I know of several people who have done this without any issues.

https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/mcx-mandatory-carriage-assembly-replacement-program/

There is no need to send the entire firearm back as they do not want it back unless you've done an after-market trigger. Even then, no one in MA would be dumb enough (hopefully) to send the firearm back knowing what the current situation is.

Rumor has it that any aftermarket triggers that go back will be replaced with a kick-ass aftermarket trigger.

Rumor has it that any aftermarket triggers that go back will be replaced with a kick-ass aftermarket trigger.

Yes, there is also a rumor that if you do have an after-market trigger that they would not warranty it or they would do some custom work and it would take weeks to get it back.

Sending the rifle back was not an option given the current situations of who where what when how. Mine works with the G2S with no issues. All my buddies have 2-stage triggers and never had a problem, ever.

Giesselle has recently stated NOT to use their triggers in the MCX/MPX and are currently working on a newer design to be released first quarter of this year.

I'd put the link but I'm going to keep this thread on track and just focus on the the re-call portion.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask and I'd be glad to share my experience with Sig in regards with the MCX recall.

Yes, the 7/20/16 Healey ban. The problem is finding a dealer that will take possession to ship it out of state, then receive it back, enter it into his book, then do a NICs check, 4473, and MA FA10 to transfer it back to you after the ban date. This may be a problem with any post 7/20/16 MA BS Ban out of state repair or replacement.

Don't use a mass dealer. Problem solved. It's none of their business where the gun owner lives. The only issue is if they replace the frame, then you'll have that to work around, but BFD. You can also send it yourself.

ETA: None of this matters though because from appearances, this isn't even a firearm recall but one for an assembly... involving unregulated parts. [rofl]

-Mike

Last edited:
And my dealers point is not trying to interpret the MA regulations with a post 7/20/16 replacement AR receiver coming back, or even if the out of state repair center would take a chance sending it back to the FLL or individual. "I'm not a lawyer able or paid to interpret or render legal opinion" is what my FFL says [shocked]

Your dealer is wrong.

However, if Sig replaces the receiver with one with a different serial number, then you would need to do the transfer through a licensee (dealer/manufacturer) , and the whole Healy ban could come into play.

With that said, It doesn't appear that they want to replace the receive.r

If I had to venture a guess, I'd suspect that the MCX has an AR15 style floating firing pin and is slam firing under just the right / wrong situations. If I am correct that it has a floating firing pin, the fix is to either replace it with a lighter pin or put it under some kind of spring control.

Don

Ok. I just read the rest of the thread. Its just as I suspected. The original was a standard AR15 firing pin. This could be problematic because if the sig bolt returns to battery faster than an AR15 bolt returns to battery it could impart extra inertia to the pin, resulting in an unintended discharge.

And based on these drawings, they've chosen to control the firing pin with a spring.

- - - Updated - - -

1776 - do everyone a favor and delete all of your incorrect posts where you spread fear uncertainty and doubt.

Damn. Went off by itself??? I gotta go scrape a bumper sticker off my truck. Apparently guns CAN kill people all on their own.

Rumor has it you cannot use *ANY* mil-spec or aftermarket trigger with the MCX. It must be a proprietary SIG-designed trigger.

When I bought the rifle I was looking for AR parts compatibility. Now I have yet another Sig rifle that requires proprietary parts and that they will ultimately discontinue supporting in 1-2 years.

Rumor has it you cannot use *ANY* mil-spec or aftermarket trigger with the MCX. It must be a proprietary SIG-designed trigger.

When I bought the rifle I was looking for AR parts compatibility. Now I have yet another Sig rifle that requires proprietary parts and that they will ultimately discontinue supporting in 1-2 years.

Totally incorrect.

I have a geissele SSA-E in my MCX.

Back
Top Bottom