SIG Recalls MCX

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Assault rifle used by Met Police's anti-terror officers is faulty and can fire without anyone pulling the trigger

An assault rifle used by the Metropolitan Police has been recalled after it was found to fire without anyone pulling the trigger.

US weapons firm SIG has warned police forces and security firms around the world to return their SIG Sauer MCX after problems with 'unintended discharge' were discovered.

However, SIG has assured the issue was not discovered in 'the field' but through 'extensive factory testing'.

It is now carrying out mass replacement of the gun's carriage assembly.

The company has ordered the automatic rifle to be returned immediately to its factory in New Hampshire, with the problem having potentially fatal consequences

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4168466/Assault-rifle-used-Met-Police-faulty.html

If it applies to semi-auto's and you got it before 6/16 and send it in, you will not get the receiver back in MA

If it applies to semi-auto's and you got it before 6/16 and send it in, you will not get the receiver back in MA

Are you referring to the Healey Ban on 7/20/16? If you are, why do you think you wouldn't you receive it back? It is a warranty claim on an already registered rifle. If SIG provides you a new rifle or serialized lower, you would still have supporting paperwork to indicate the replacement and just register the new rifle.

If you are talking about something other than the Healey Ban, then ignore above.

Yes, the 7/20/16 Healey ban. The problem is finding a dealer that will take possession to ship it out of state, then receive it back, enter it into his book, then do a NICs check, 4473, and MA FA10 to transfer it back to you after the ban date. This may be a problem with any post 7/20/16 MA BS Ban out of state repair or replacement.

Last edited:
Yes, the 7/20/16 Healey ban. The problem is finding a dealer that will take possession to ship it out of state, then receive it back, enter it into his book, then do a NICs check, 4473, and MA FA10 to transfer it back to you after the ban date. This may be a problem with any post 7/20/16 MA BS Ban out of state repair or replacement.

Am I missing something? Why would you have to go through all those steps? Why can't you just ship it to Sig for warranty repair and have it shipped back to you? The law doesn't require a 4473/NICS to receive the weapon back. It can be shipped directly to you. Is this some MA thing?

Am I missing something? Why would you have to go through all those steps? Why can't you just ship it to Sig for warranty repair and have it shipped back to you? The law doesn't require a 4473/NICS to receive the weapon back. It can be shipped directly to you. Is this some MA thing?

Yes for MA and any interstate shipping of a firearm, it is my understanding that this is a Federal Law/requirement. If your in NH, you would need to make arrangements with the repair center in NH.

Yes for MA and any interstate shipping of a firearm, it is my understanding that this is a Federal Law/requirement. If your in NH, you would need to make arrangements with the repair center in NH.

I don't think so, as in MA since you already own it you can ship it back to the manufacturer for warranty work and they can ship it back to you. Just like if you were to send in your Glock if something were to happen or you wanted them to "tune it up" for you, no FFL required, but you will pay a pretty good amount for the shipping requirements.

Happens in a vice, with 300blk. Less that .05% of the time. Sig discovered it themselves.

Not sure why someone would put a loaded rifle in a vice, butttt... at least they discovered it.

No. You're not even close to right, and you're giving out bad advice.

You can ship you're own weapon back to the manufacturer for warranty work or repair without going trough an FFL, and it can be directly returned to you. From the ATF:

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines?

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns and other concealable firearms are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via private common or contract carrier (18 U.S.C. § 1715). The USPS and private common or contract carriers may also have additional restrictions on firearms shipments by unlicensed persons. Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received (18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A)). An ATF Form 4473 is required for the return of the firearm, except in instances when a firearm is delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing, and the same firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received (27 CFR § 478.124(a)).

Stop making the internet worse.

No. You're not even close to right, and you're giving out bad advice.

You can ship you're own weapon back to the manufacturer for warranty work or repair without going trough an FFL, and it can be directly returned to you. From the ATF:

Stop making the internet worse.

Sorry, as stated this is my understanding based on asking my local FFL in this crazy state of MA. ATF applies to all free states, then you have the MA regs to worry about. I'll play it as safe as possible in MA, and the my FFL is doing the same.

Just sent my rifle to the out of State factory for upgrades via UPS from my home. Walked in to the UPS shipping facility plonked it down on the counter and said 'it's a rifle'. Nobody blinked.

It was returned UPS, delivered to my home.

Efff....Healey

Scott's right, and I've shipped and received my own firearms through FEDEX for warrany work or customization; the only potential issue is if the warrantied item needs to be replaced. When my "free state" PM9 was determined to be defective Kahr would only replace it with a MA compliant version regardless of wether or not my FFL would transfer an exact replacement to me.

And my dealers point is not trying to interpret the MA regulations with a post 7/20/16 replacement AR receiver coming back, or even if the out of state repair center would take a chance sending it back to the FLL or individual. "I'm not a lawyer able or paid to interpret or render legal opinion" is what my FFL says [shocked]

DAFUQ are you even talking about? So far off the map. Is the world still flat?

Ship it to SIG for warranty repair and they ship it back to you. I have done it numerous times.

And my dealers point is not trying to interpret the MA regulations with a post 7/20/16 replacement AR receiver coming back, or even if the out of state repair center would take a chance sending it back to the FLL or individual. "I'm not a lawyer able or paid to interpret or render legal opinion" is what my FFL says

Wrong again. Healey came out and said point blank that MFG's were required to handle firearms subject to her ban for warranty purposes. There were a number of them out for repair at the time of her decree that required her to clear the issue up.

STICK. TO. THE. FACTS.

Last edited:

Well, I've shipped two Glocks back to the factory for refurb, and they UPS'd them right back to me...

Stop listening to FFL's and dealers when it comes to MA laws. Many LE's fit in there somewhere, too.

Sig has implemented a MCX recall. They are proactively replacing all the bolt carrier assembly with a newer version. Send the one you have and get the new version in about 10 day business days. I know of several people who have done this without any issues.

https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/mcx-mandatory-carriage-assembly-replacement-program/

There is no need to send the entire firearm back as they do not want it back unless you've done an after-market trigger. Even then, no one in MA would be dumb enough (hopefully) to send the firearm back knowing what the current situation is.

And my dealers point is not trying to interpret the MA regulations with a post 7/20/16 replacement AR receiver coming back, or even if the out of state repair center would take a chance sending it back to the FLL or individual. "I'm not a lawyer able or paid to interpret or render legal opinion" is what my FFL says [shocked]

Many FFL's don't know half of what they think they do. As was mentioned, the BATFE states that you can send YOUR firearm to and from a manufacturer for repairs.
You can even send a firearm to and from yourself to any state you are going to, to visit. i.e. send it to your parents house to yourself in another state, then mail it back to you.

He seems to be giving you a lot of legal opinions for a guy who says he isn't a lawyer able to render legal opinions. In general FFL's are super paranoid with totally legal things because it's their business that will be destroyed if they screw up. However the things they say on laws are in many cases dead wrong, like here. Cops that don't know shit, and paranoid FFL's are the basis for a ton of stupid myths about Mass and federal law.

Yeah I second this. Any repairs should be able to shipped direct to manufacturer for repair. There isn't any need to "transfer" anything as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good for non receiver repair/replace, but I'm still concerned/cautious if I had to send a "Now" non compliant item out of MA. And yes, a lot of calls and homework prior to doing so.

Yeah I second this. Any repairs should be able to shipped direct to manufacturer for repair. There isn't any need to "transfer" anything as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, I've sent a pistol back to a manufacture for repair and received it back to my house.

- - - Updated - - -

Or you could just drive it up there and call it a day (very nice one too)

You do? What was their experience?

From what I heard the initial rollout of the recall was completely botched and the process of replacement has not even begun.

I myself and a few other guys saw the recall and contacted Sig the following morning.

Got a box in about a week, sent it back that day and waited 10 business days and got the replacement carrier.

The other guys? Boxes in 10 days, new carrier in 15 business days afterwards.

So I didn't have any issues as they were going my the product registrations.

d40b459d9645589f4fe265b7cd3b87c9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom