SIG Quality Control... or lack thereof, apparently.

After a nearly three week wait, I went down to Four Seasons and picked up my brand new P229RM. Was in a bit of a rush, and I didn't give a second thought of fully inspecting the gun.

Got home and broke it down to do a clean and lube, and I find this at the end of my barrel:
marks.jpg

Two rings cut perpendicular to the barrel, maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the way around the diameter. Pretty damn obvious just by looking down the barrel. So how the $^#* did this get through QC?

Kinda beyond pissed right now, at both myself and SIG. So where do I go from here? Do I go back to Carl first, or do I go straight to SIG and give them an earful?

I'm gonna go run a brush down the bore in a bit, see if maybe it's leading from test-firing or something, but I really doubt it. It looks like some tooling collided with the barrel.

sigh [sad2]

I would be upset as well based on your picts (it was a little blurry) .I have had excellent customer service dealing directly with Sig...here is the contact information for the fellow that helped me out:

"Andrew Sargent" <[email protected]>

He responded quickly to my inquiries and promptly to my requests.

Good luck,
-MS
Good luck.

Yeah, I know it's a bit blurry. Was trying to balance both a camera and a flashlight at the same time!

I just ran a brush and patch down and it's very obviously machining marks. I'm still amazed QC didn't catch this.

I'll give Carl a call in the morning and see what he can do.

edit: And on further examination, I can't seem to find a proof-firing stamp anywhere on the barrel. Is this normal?

Last edited:
Sigs quality control has gone down the shitter big time from what I understand.
They are also an incredibly difficult company to work with.

Either way, I'm sure FS will be accommodating, as any other reputable dealer would.

I've been inside of Sig's factory and actualy in the room they run QC. When I was there (DEC 2007), only 4-5 people did QC for every gun that came out of that place, which seemed to me like they had to rush things through.

Take it back and get a Glock or a German made Sig. Good luck! I've carried Sigs daily from 1990-2007 then I finally gave Glocks a try. I haven't looked back, still have my W. German 228 &226 in the safe for nostalgia sake.

Take it back and get a Glock or a German made Sig. Good luck! I've carried Sigs daily from 1990-2007 then I finally gave Glocks a try. I haven't looked back, still have my W. German 228 &226 in the safe for nostalgia sake.

Ditto. Sig Customer service is arrogant. I dumped my P226,P229 and they first plastic gun they made 10 years ago. If you want a reliable gun that always goes bang pick up a Glock. An M&P w/a trigger job could be a good alternative.

Ditto. Sig Customer service is arrogant. I dumped my P226,P229 and they first plastic gun they made 10 years ago. If you want a reliable gun that always goes bang pick up a Glock. An M&P w/a trigger job could be a good alternative.

SIG's QC may or may not have degraded to levels that make them a questionable purchase. However, M&Ps are far from flawless. It's not a valid sample but my M&P9 sucked and my two SIG P-series guns (both made in Exceter since 2007) have been excellent.

Gave Carl a ring earlier and he told me to come down and he'd swap barrels. Just got back and the new barrel is flawless.

+1 to Carl and the staff down at FS, as always.

+1 to Carl and the staff down at FS, as always.

Nice to hear...I bought just about all my Guns from FS, besides a few hear and Carl and the gang have been nothing but top notch...Glad you got it all worked out...now go fire the dam thing [smile]

SIG's QC may or may not have degraded to levels that make them a questionable purchase. However, M&Ps are far from flawless. It's not a valid sample but my M&P9 sucked and my two SIG P-series guns (both made in Exceter since 2007) have been excellent.

Is your 226 a 100% exeter gun? It may have a German frame. They seemed to have gone back to German frames for most models.... for whatever reason.

-Mike

Glad to hear Carl took care of you...yet another story of great customer service from him and Four Seasons. I used to practically live on sigforum.com up until a couple of years ago. Personally every Sig pistol I've ever owned (P229, P226, P228, P220, and 2 P239s) have been absolutely flawless right out of the box so I've never dealt with their C.S. However right after the fiasco of the GSR coming out, I believe, is when the previously good C.S. went south. I don't think they were prepared for the influx of GSR's being sent back. Then came the mosquito and it's issues, as well as the first runs of the 556 and it's issues. Along the way they got their military contract and also began expanding the P-series into a more complicated batch of submodels with various options. Meanwhile they had never addressed the C.S. shortcomings while they kept focus on those other things. As this all evolved over the last few years, the complaints on SigForum of issues just like this...OBVIOUS flaws that were missed before it left Exeter, followed by harrowing tales of just how inept, disrespectful, and rude C.S. was, began showing up all over the site.

It's too bad really, because I truly feel the original P-series pistols, in their heyday, were the finest pistols available. Now I stick to my used ones, because I WILL NOT spend $800-$1000 on a new pistol from them.

Is your 226 a 100% exeter gun? It may have a German frame. They seemed to have gone back to German frames for most models.... for whatever reason.

-Mike

Both the 226 and 229 have German made frames. I had assumed all P-series guns have German made frames. Is that incorrect? Also, to help date the 226, it's fairly new but it came with two mags and a plastic guide rod (replaced with a stainless one from Gray Guns).

I have a P220 (German frame), P229 (Exeter frame), P239 (Exeter frame), and SIG556. To date I have not had a single issue with any, except the slide did not lock on the last round with the P239. Quick fix, easy CS to deal with. They are all firing nice and smooth. I may have the short trigger put on the P220 and add the Lasermax, but that is about it.

Both the 226 and 229 have German made frames. I had assumed all P-series guns have German made frames. Is that incorrect? Also, to help date the 226, it's fairly new but it came with two mags and a plastic guide rod (replaced with a stainless one from Gray Guns).

I think there is a way to tell from the serial numbers (Maybe it was UU or AA marks?) the obvious clue is the "frame made in germany" with the SigSauer logo is missing on the US ones. I don't know how long NH was actually
making frames, and if they still are or not, but I believe Exeter was actually making them at one point or another.

Curiously enough I don't think the P239s ever said "frame made in germany" on them. (Or at least mine from like 1996 or whenever it was made didn't have those markings, and that was way before Exeter was making any Sig frames, I believe.

-Mike

I think there is a way to tell from the serial numbers (Maybe it was UU or AA marks?) the obvious clue is the "frame made in germany" with the SigSauer logo is missing on the US ones. I don't know how long NH was actually
making frames, and if they still are or not, but I believe Exeter was actually making them at one point or another.

Curiously enough I don't think the P239s ever said "frame made in germany" on them. (Or at least mine from like 1996 or whenever it was made didn't have those markings, and that was way before Exeter was making any Sig frames, I believe.

-Mike

Yeah, both say frame made in German and are marked Sauer. I'm not sure how much it really matters but it sounds good.

edit: And on further examination, I can't seem to find a proof-firing stamp anywhere on the barrel. Is this normal?

I'd be tempted to put a few rounds through that barrel just to see how they shot.

I have a P220 (German frame), P229 (Exeter frame), P239 (Exeter frame), and SIG556. To date I have not had a single issue with any, except the slide did not lock on the last round with the P239. Quick fix, easy CS to deal with.

Weak magazine spring?

Back
Top Bottom