• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig problems

Anyone has their rear sight fall off? RSO at my range mentioned he just saw a P226 with the same issue. This is a civilian P320-M17 with 400 rounds through it.

It was loose at 300 rounds so I tightened it via 2 screws on the bottom of the slide. Got through another 10 mags today, loaded the 11th, looked down at the sight(s) and exclaimed “Holy Scott Norwood”.

Attachments

• 2BF54554-B910-4E2F-9CD8-F8C5EDE00A18.jpeg
    2BF54554-B910-4E2F-9CD8-F8C5EDE00A18.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 25
Are the other screws there or did they shear off? I haven’t had anything like this happen with my 220 Legion, 365 (the original slide anyway - it has the SAS slide on it now), or 238.

The screw is gone - I took the slide off and it’s just a hole. I’d imagine it’s out on the range somewhere. I poked around inside where I think it would’ve fallen through if it sheared and there doesn’t seem to be anything in there.

I know someone in Sig’s customer service so I’ll get this thing RMA’d tomorrow.

I like the M17 a lot too - hopefully this is my last problem with it. It’s not even technically “broken in” yet.

Sight didn’t fall off. It’s close though. Loctite is ur friend just probably not red stuff. Brings me back to my Harley days. Every bolt touched got some flavor of loctite lol

The screw is gone - I took the slide off and it’s just a hole. I’d imagine it’s out on the range somewhere. I poked around inside where I think it would’ve fallen through if it sheared and there doesn’t seem to be anything in there.

I know someone in Sig’s customer service so I’ll get this thing RMA’d tomorrow.

I like the M17 a lot too - hopefully this is my last problem with it. It’s not even technically “broken in” yet.

Well, if you know someone there then hopefully it’ll be a quick turnaround. If it doesn’t look like it will be, then ask your friend for the correct screws, and like others have said, blue Loctite or their lighter formula will do the trick.

Well, if you know someone there then hopefully it’ll be a quick turnaround. If it doesn’t look like it will be, then ask your friend for the correct screws, and like others have said, blue Loctite or their lighter formula will do the trick.
You can now even get Loctite in a glue stick. Finally.

Sorry about your issue.

I'm not a big fan of the sights being part of that plate. So was it just a cost savings on the military contract? The idea that you cannot have backup sights when mounting a red dot bothers me a bit. I recently bought a spare slide; with the red dot cut; at the academy which included real rear sights. So why bother producing two slides, would seem easier to just produce one full size slide.

For those who may not care about backup sights, I will say they can be handy. During a class my deltapoint pro ended up with 5 dots :(

Not sure how it would loosen like that unless you really cranked on it hard when tightening so it’s going out the top since the right set screw looks intact.

P226 is irrelevant since it still uses dovetail.

Not sure how it would loosen like that unless you really cranked on it hard when tightening so it’s going out the top since the right set screw looks intact.

P226 is irrelevant since it still uses dovetail.

Well, it was loose to begin with (after about 300 rounds) which is why I tightened it in the first place, but I was warned not to put too much pressure on it and took care not to. It was still on there firmly after LY 5th mag (I stopped checking after every mag at that point, thinking I was in the clear)

Go to the hardware store and buy 2 new screws and a tube of thread lock.

My rear sight came loose as well and fixed in a couple minutes.

Sending it back in for 2 screws is such a waste of time for both parties.

I highly doubt it. Just use blue, not red.

And see if you can get the torque specs so you don’t over crank it. I have a torque wrench for my bicycles that are in inches as opposed to foot pounds. They are pretty cheap on Amazon and are good to have.

Anyone has their rear sight fall off? RSO at my range mentioned he just saw a P226 with the same issue. This is a civilian P320-M17 with 400 rounds through it.

It was loose at 300 rounds so I tightened it via 2 screws on the bottom of the slide. Got through another 10 mags today, loaded the 11th, looked down at the sight(s) and exclaimed “Holy Scott Norwood”.

I have the M18 I can't understand putting screws from the bottom up. I have wondered about those screws. Either use an optic with it or get a non optic slide. This is what I did. By the way the gases from the loaded chamber indicator fudge up your optic. At least an RMR because it sits forward. Messed up engineering.

In case anyone does not know, 1 of the screws can't be accesed without taking the slide partially apart.

Last edited:
I have the M18 I can't understand putting screws from the bottom up. I have wondered about those screws. Either use an optic with it or get a non optic slide. This is what I did. By the way the gases from the loaded chamber indicator fudge up your optic. At least an RMR because it sits forward. Messed up engineering.

In case anyone does not know, 1 of the screws can't be accesed without taking the slide partially apart.

Yeah the striker plate needs to come out and the plunger screw (that is actually the striker spring) is a bit tricky. Then you can get at the screws.

That sucks about the optics. I was thinking about a Romeo but they seem expensive. Are all of the optics on the M17/18 susceptible to fogging as a result of the design?

I believe they are, Sig forum talks about it. I noticed it after only a few rounds and made the dot harder to see. It looked smaller and duller. This did not happen when this same optic was on the VP9. I guess it depends how close to the chamber indicator they are. Here you can see the Trijicon plate is right up to it, as is the optic.

Attachments

• IMG_20200723_122249781_HDR(1).jpg
    IMG_20200723_122249781_HDR(1).jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200723_131648934_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200723_131648934_HDR.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Had a shooter lose their rear sight a few years back in the middle of a string at a steel challenge shoot. His was a 320.

Mine came loose as well after a hundred rounds (+/-). Different handgun, mine is a 1911 TTT. Pin on the front sight looks like it went in crooked.
After doing some research it appeared to be a common issue , where the hole drilled in the slide and hole for the front sight don't line up.

Might be an issue across several models depending on what was used for sights, or what was supplied.

Back
Top Bottom