Sig P938 owners. Ever had failure to eject?

I have always uses oil on the slide and a minimal amount to boot because I carry it. I just picked up some grease and I’m going to try that out at the range after I lather it up. I’m wondering if I should buy a new guide spring also or send it back and let them fix it. Thoughts? I know it doesn’t like crap ammo.

Need more details. Is the gun brand new or is the gun old and well used? Have you tried and kept notes on different types of ammo it likes and doesn’t like? Was it just one FTE or is it happening all the time? Is it only happening with certain types of ammo? IE brass, alum, steel?

You’re asking folks to try and diagnose online with very little details.

My 938 eats anything and everything I give her.... as long as she’s clean.

She is not a fan of being dirty. Give her a deep clean, she’ll like it. 😎

It’s a great little gun, but man mine is finicky. doesn’t like being dirty, I’m talking more than 50 rounds and has issues with lots of SD rounds. I stick to Golden Sabers and Underwood extreme defenders.

Need more details. Is the gun brand new or is the gun old and well used? Have you tried and kept notes on different types of ammo it likes and doesn’t like? Was it just one FTE or is it happening all the time? Is it only happening with certain types of ammo? IE brass, alum, steel?

You’re asking folks to try and diagnose online with very little details.
I probably have 800-1000 rounds through it. It doesn’t like steel so I use brass. 4 years old. I don’t take notes and keep it meticulously clean.

How often is it failing to eject? I’m not trying to bust your chops but the less information you post the more questions it raises.

Shot my buddy's a few weeks ago which was his first purchase after getting his LTC, he had the issue consistently but I never did. I was wondering if he was limp wristing it but it didn't seem to be the issue, I thought it might just need some cleaning and lube. My other time shooting one was a few years ago and had no issues.

It’s a great little gun, but man mine is finicky. doesn’t like being dirty, I’m talking more than 50 rounds and has issues with lots of SD rounds. I stick to Golden Sabers and Underwood extreme defenders.
I’ll have to try those. It seems to like Hornady critical defense, although I don’t shoot a lot of it through. I just picked up some Sig V- Crown just to put through it even though it doesn’t like it much. Maybe I just need to put a few thousand rounds through it.

Did you inspect the brass that was allegedly malfunctioning, and compare it to your live rounds for any anomalies? Torn rim? Heavy burn? Anything unusual on the brass?

How often is it failing to eject? I’m not trying to bust your chops but the less information you post the more questions it raises.
Once or twice per 200 rounds. I bought some Birchwood grease that I’m going to put on the slide and see if it doesn’t improve.

Did you inspect the brass that was allegedly malfunctioning, and compare it to your live rounds for any anomalies? Torn rim? Heavy burn? Anything unusual on the brass?
I was getting a dent in the brass, I was shrugging it off as the ejector causing it. Great point. I will inspect the brass to see if it is happening before ejection. I guess field strip it with a round in the barrel? Any safe suggestions on how I can do that?

I don’t think lube is going to be your issue but it doesn’t hurt to try. I’d suggest an entire deep clean of any existing lube before you use any grease on top of it.

Without any evidence of damage or heavy burns on your brass, and only being 1-2 every 200, it could easily just be your grip. Small pistol, good kick to it, you may just be slipping a little on grip during the sequence.

Last edited:
I was getting a dent in the brass, I was shrugging it off as the ejector causing it. Great point. I will inspect the brass to see if it is happening before ejection. I guess field strip it with a round in the barrel? Any safe suggestions on how I can do that?

Please don’t ever try to do that.

Load a mag, rack it. Then manually use the slide to eject each round SAFELY at the range until it’s empty. Look for any damage to those rounds or if any of them get hung up. If they do inspect that round further. Compare them to your spent brass from same pistol. Look for anything different.

Last edited:
As you fire each magazine, take care to monitor your grip on that firey little beast and see that it’s still correct and that your hand is high up on the back strap still.

Load a mag, rack it. Then manually use the slide to eject each round SAFELY at the range until it’s empty. Look for any damage to those rounds or if any of them get hung up. If they do inspect that round further. Compare them to your spent brass from same pistol. Look for anything different.
Thanks for the advice. It is well appreciated.

Good luck with it. 👍🏻
I’m sure some others here will also be able to help, lot of folks here a lot smarter than me, but that’s a good start for you before sending it off anywhere if it’s not needed.

Once or twice per 200 rounds. I bought some Birchwood grease that I’m going to put on the slide and see if it doesn’t improve.

If the Birchwood doesn’t help, try Mobil 1 or Interflon Super Grease (green can). Both are excellent lubricants.

I‘ll go a step further - buy some dummy rounds/snap caps and use those instead of live ammo. They’re dirt cheap and take out the risk of a negligent discharge. You and everyone around you and/or in line with the barrel will thank you.

Or just send it to sig, mine had a hammer that was occasionally failing to return to fully cocked. I sent it to them and for $80 they fixed the issue and replaced every spring in the gun and magazine.

If the Birchwood doesn’t help, try Mobil 1 or Interflon Super Grease (green can). Both are excellent lubricants.

I‘ll go a step further - buy some dummy rounds/snap caps and use those instead of live ammo. They’re dirt cheap and take out the risk of a negligent discharge. You and everyone around you and/or in line with the barrel will thank you.

True. Snapcaps are safe. But if it’s a particular ammo issue, they won’t help ID that.

Even if it was the ejector causing the dent it’s still discerning. I don’t reload but if I did I don’t think the brass would be any good. I’ll be going green again, the checks in the mail so ill be able to upload pictures. Thanks again Guys.

If I’m comfortable with a pistol and there’s only a couple failures here and there I always look at ammo first. Also if it’s hand loaded. If it’s not ammo check your grip and or have an experienced friend also fire it to see if it continues malfunctioning. Sometimes it’s just ‘user headspace’ causing issues that day.

If it’s not grip or ammo then look at the pistol itself. Extractor or springs or just dirty and gummed up. I had some hot rounds before where the extractor was tearing right thru the rim on every round, leaving it scarred, swollen and jammed in the barrel. Not good. Had to tell my buddy to tone it down a little on the powder. lol

Funny this came up. Last week after cleaning my 938 I went to the range. I have less than fifty rounds of Sig V- Crown fired though this when I had experience an ejection problem. I hope it's the last one. Actually I've been having ejection problems in all my pistols except for the Beretta, never had one on it yet.

Been shooting/cc‘ing a 938 for about 8 years or so and never had a FTE/FTF issue except with some cheap shit Walmart ammo I got that was on sale. Can’t recall the brand name but it sucked every time I shot it at the range. IIRC correctly, it was packaged in a camouflage pattern box... Seems to like everything else.

Been shooting/cc‘ing a 938 for about 8 years or so and never had a FTE/FTF issue except with some cheap shit Walmart ammo I got that was on sale. Can’t recall the brand name but it sucked every time I shot it at the range. IIRC correctly, it was packaged in a camouflage pattern box... Seems to like everything else.
Mine hated that steel Russian ammo from Wally mart.

The P938 seems to have taken a back seat to the striker fired P365 because of increased ammo capacity and I get that. I still believe that the P938 is a fantastic and reliable SAO platform and is just as reliable if you can get past the “cocked & locked, OMG! the gun’s going to go off” mentality..... JMHO. Man up and everything will be fine cupcake!

The P938 seems to have taken a back seat to the striker fired P365 because of increased ammo capacity and I get that. I still believe that the P938 is a fantastic and reliable SAO platform and is just as reliable if you can get past the “cocked & locked, OMG! the gun’s going to go off” mentality..... JMHO. Man up and everything will be fine cupcake!
Been carrying cocked and locked since I’ve owned it. I carry it a 4:00 IWB with a Kusiak holster. It’s molded around the safety high up on the inside. I still stick my index finger into the safety to make sure it’s up occasionally just out of habit. I also stick my thumb between the hammer and firing pin when I unclip it from my belt. Just to make sure.

Been carrying cocked and locked since I’ve owned it. I carry it a 4:00 IWB with a Kusiak holster. It’s molded around the safety high up on the inside. I still stick my index finger into the safety to make sure it’s up occasionally just out of habit. I also stick my thumb between the hammer and firing pin when I unclip it from my belt. Just to make sure.

Kusiak makes an incredible product worth the wait. Cocked and locked isn’t as big of a deal as people make it. The firing pin has a trigger safety as well the manual safety so the hammer can’t inadvertently fall and fire the gun. Plenty of people out there carrying the free state version of the P365 no safety and super light trigger pull, but show them a 1911 style gun (even traditional with trigger safety, grip safety and manual safety) and all of a sudden they put on their “I would never” face.

Last edited:
No issues with mine, even with cheap target ammo. I'd try different ammo after the gun has been cleaned and go from there. If it still acts up, send it to Sig to have them check it out.

Back
Top Bottom