Sig P938 owners. Ever had failure to eject?

The recoil spring weakens pretty quickly in these guns. When I changed mine the difference was noticeable and I had probably less than 700 through it since new.
I thought I was getting better at reassembling it. Nope. The spring had just weakened.
In reply to the negative comments above👆, I’ve been an equipment design tech and research tech for many years. A piece of equipment that is under a lot of stresses like.....a gun needs a fair amount of maintenance and inspection. Ignoring it just gets you in trouble. Granted I may have overlooked the fact the spring got weaker. You learn from your mistakes. As for 99% operator error, I call bs. Limp wristing may cause this problem but I’ve overcome that long ago. Well, maybe on the 642😆
Can Sig find a better spring? Absolutely. Why would they though as they make a profit from spare parts. $29.00 is a small price to pay for peace of mind. The spring kit comes with three springs. They’ll probably last me three years anyways, probably more, with the amount of time I make it to the range.

Last edited:
I think the fact that it’s such a small gun plays into why the recoil spring life is so short.
I think you are right. The Seecamp is even less rounds. Like 200 rounds I think they recommend changing it. But then it’s meant to fire off 44 rounds and put the rest in the gun.

Changed the springs today. What a difference in size. The new springs fit tighter around the guide rod also. Maybe range time tomorrow to see how it cycles.
FBAF79AE-B169-45F6-866E-AE79DF8032EA.jpeg

I got my spring kit yesterday but won't replace anything until I can get to range immediately following the new install. I'd never trust my EDC with new parts until I fired 50 or so rounds post install of new parts. Me and my family depend on my gun going "bang" when it's supposed to!

My father recently got rid of his 938 due to ftf issues (not fte). First time was with an aggressive coyote stalking his animal. After that he spent some time and cash trying to sort it, but even with some work being done and optimizing ammo, the problem persisted. Eventually gave up and went back to his old G26 (leave him alone about the .40, he’s the ‘53 model).

As far as I know they don’t have a reputation for ftf so I guess just some bad variance for him.

My father recently got rid of his 938 due to ftf issues (not fte). First time was with an aggressive coyote stalking his animal. After that he spent some time and cash trying to sort it, but even with some work being done and optimizing ammo, the problem persisted. Eventually gave up and went back to his old G26 (leave him alone about the .40, he’s the ‘53 model).

As far as I know they don’t have a reputation for ftf so I guess just some bad variance for him.
Ive heard of people getting bad 938’s that are riddled with problems.

On a side note, there is a bunch of misinformation about the slide stop pin spring being used to keep the slide stop in. People are changing out that spring in hopes of keeping the pin in the gun. That spring has nothing to do with keeping the slide stop in. It is there to move the slide stop up when the magazine is empty. Is it a design flaw that the pin falls out? Maybe. When I clean mine if I line the half moon slot with the pin retainer the pin falls out onto the bench. A lot of people rack the slide with the left side of the gun facing down. If they go slow enough the pin, or stop will work it’s way out. I’ve never had that happen. Rack the slide deliberately. The little half moon on the stop pin keeps it in. The slide cycles so fast the pin would never come out even if someone tried to shoot it sideways. They also bend that spring with rags cleaning it. I think the spring is swedged into the frame also. Pulling it out to change it if you don’t have to only hurts it’s integrity. *this is just my opinion from studying my pistol after watching and hearing nightmare stories about it. I’ve had people try to argue about it so I just say it’s my opinion.

Last edited:
I thought they had a 500 rd spring life i could be wrong tho I read it on the interwebs
I think the fact that it’s such a small gun plays into why the recoil spring life is so short.
*Range report* Went to the range today to check out the springs. Ran Winchester white box, hundred rounds through it and whatever SD JHP I had in the magazines. It ran flawless. I paid special attention to my grip to make sure I avoided the eject button and made sure the 7 round magazines were seated. They stayed in so I’m confident to carry it again. It bit my trigger finger and I’m shooting to the left a little, but decent grouping. It’s still denting the shells on eject but I don’t reload so it’s not an issue. The edge of the slide opening is shiny from brass so I think it’s hitting that edge. Thanks jkelly and 45, and everyone else for that matter for your support.
BFE9FCDD-6CBF-4990-9868-81907CC72F0B.jpeg

*Range report* Went to the range today to check out the springs. Ran Winchester white box, hundred rounds through it and whatever SD JHP I had in the magazines. It ran flawless. I paid special attention to my grip to make sure I avoided the eject button and made sure the 7 round magazines were seated. They stayed in so I’m confident to carry it again. It bit my trigger finger and I’m shooting to the left a little, but decent grouping. It’s still denting the shells on eject but I don’t reload so it’s not an issue. The edge of the slide opening is shiny from brass so I think it’s hitting that edge. Thanks jkelly and 45, and everyone else for that matter for your support.
View attachment 392227
I took my 938 to the range yesterday along with my Beretta. Your target looks a lot like mine of course I shoot the Beretta slightly better. I had no malfunctions.

I took my 938 to the range yesterday along with my Beretta. Your target looks a lot like mine of course I shoot the Beretta slightly better. I had no malfunctions.
I need to give my Beretta some love. I haven’t shot it in ages. They are a dream to shoot. I’ve thought about getting a red dot for it but the cost of them a little more saving I can get another gun.

I've been loving my P238 I bought last fall. So much, I'm thinking of adding a P938. I EDC the P238 alot now especially just around the house or neighborhood. I wouldn't mind putting a 9mm into the EDC rotation rather than a 380 if I like it as much as the P238.

Any comments from anyone that owns both?

When I carry the 938 it’s in an Alabama pocket holster or iwb Kusiak which are both fantastic... you will hardly know it’s there. P238 is a pretty soft shooter but go with the 9mm if you can. Now the only time I carry 380 is when I go super small with a LCP.

Last edited:
I've been loving my P238 I bought last fall. So much, I'm thinking of adding a P938. I EDC the P238 alot now especially just around the house or neighborhood. I wouldn't mind putting a 9mm into the EDC rotation rather than a 380 if I like it as much as the P238.

IMO the 938 cancels out the 238. Why carry a .380 when you have a 9 that is identical? Also with the 938 I amaze myself every time I go to the range at how well I can shoot it.

IMO the 938 cancels out the 238. Why carry a .380 when you have a 9 that is identical? Also with the 938 I amaze myself every time I go to the range at how well I can shoot it.

I loved my 238, had nothing but problems w/ the 938. Had to send the 938 back twice (getting stuck in half cock position first time & safety detent fell out during cleaning the second). As much as I hoped the 938 would simply be a 9mm version of the 238, it just wasn't the same. And when the 365 came out I got rid the 938; I had already stopped carrying the 238 when I got the 938 and didn't want to go back to .380. Also, I began carrying AIWB and wasn't going to do that w/ a SAO,

Mine has been 100% since I’ve sent it in for dropping the extended magazine. I pretty much just pocket carry now so I’ve abandoned the 938 for a PPK. If I carry IWB I’ll use the 938. As good as I shoot the 938 I can shoot the PPK that much better. I don’t feel under gunned carrying .380, as I no longer think the .380 is an inadequate cartridge, although I need to carry an extra magazine. The 938 does have a firing pin block but I prefer not to pocket carry it. I feel better with that heavy double action trigger riding in my pocket.

Back
Top Bottom