SIG p938 - Firing Pin Stop

Just purchased the SIG p938 a few months back. As a SIG lover, I have the P229 and my husband has the P226, but I had to get the P938 - Scorpion - makes for a great little carry. I love it!

But noticed yesterday when I racked it back, the firing PIN stop fell out. I went online and saw a few other comments from other owners that it happens to them as well.

I will replace and test again, but was curious if anyone has had this happen or has heard this as a potential defect? Hoping it was installed incorrectly, and not a flaw as I am a huge fan!

um, i would get the gun back to Sig ASAP...and wouldn't even shoot or carry it in the meantime.

The two piece guide rod almost totally unscrewed in my p938 Equinox. When I called sig they had a new guide rod and a new recoil spring to my house In three days! From my experience they have excellent coustomer service. I'm sure they'll make good.

I was told that all the recently produced 938's had this issue resolved. Just to clarify, you are referring the the cylindrical piece in the slide correct that drips down to unblock the firing pin? Make sure that the firing pin isn't fouled, if I remember correctly, I though that the firing pin had to be removed to remove the blocker.

Thank you all for the feedback folks. The links are helpful Chris, thanks.
Bummer that it is a common issue, but good to hear SIG is responsive Mousegunguy.
Heading to NH on Saturday and may drop by SIG in person.

RIMike, yes, the piece is a black square with a hole for the firing pin to snap into. I will field strip tomorrow morning and see if the pin is stuck.

RIMike, yes, the piece is a black square with a hole for the firing pin to snap into. I will field strip tomorrow morning and see if the pin is stuck.
That sounds as if its the firing pin retainer and not the blocker. In the following image, the pencil is sitting on the blocker. I believe your firing pin is fouled or the spring broke and is sitting forward, that is why the retainer dropped out of the slide, the aft end of the firing pin wasn't holding it in place:
y3epyvar.jpg

It's interesting how these work opposite to the 1911 blocker in that the plunger needs to drop down on the 938, on the 1911, the plunger needs to be pushed up to allow the firing pin past.

That sounds as if its the firing pin retainer and not the blocker. In the following image, the pencil is sitting on the blocker. I believe your firing pin is fouled or the spring broke and is sitting forward, that is why the retainer dropped out of the slide, the aft end of the firing pin wasn't holding it in place:
y3epyvar.jpg

It's interesting how these work opposite to the 1911 blocker in that the plunger needs to drop down on the 938, on the 1911, the plunger needs to be pushed up to allow the firing pin past.

I'm glad you just mentioned that because i have forever been confused when i field strip my P938....i was looking at the striker plunger thinking how the hell does this get pushed up?? haha never did i consider it actually goes down when the extractor/plunger moves forward during trigger pull. learn new things every day thanks!!

5/21 - status: I brought my P938 to SIG in NH on Saturday. Woman there said she never heard of any issues. She took mine and my husband's to test. Got a vm on Monday that it was all set. I am skeptical since it did not make it back to the factory, but maybe they found the issue immediately. I will pick it up on Sat morning. I will rack it several times at the shop to see if firing pin stop pops out again. Will let you know what they say on Saturday (for those that are curious).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom