Sig P938 Fanboys Unite

Dah! Get a Fanner Fifty.

PoorFrankArcticfox.gif

My Sig 238 kills my finger by the second shot, besides the heavy pull. Thinking about getting rid of it.

To reduce that problem, I took some emery sanding paper, split it in half and reduced the point on the bottom of the trigger by increasing the radius. It makes quite a bit of difference. I am quite certain that the trigger pull weight has little to do with the hammer/sear and main spring but more so with the firing pin blocker lever/ejector. I think with an improved geometry design of the trigger, and moving the trigger bar closer to the pivot point on the trigger, that the force required to rotate the ejector forward be reduced. Since there is a few hundredths of an inch in over travel, that might work.

To reduce that problem, I took some emery sanding paper, split it in half and reduced the point on the bottom of the trigger by increasing the radius. It makes quite a bit of difference. I am quite certain that the trigger pull weight has little to do with the hammer/sear and main spring but more so with the firing pin blocker lever/ejector. I think with an improved geometry design of the trigger, and moving the trigger bar closer to the pivot point on the trigger, that the force required to rotate the ejector forward be reduced. Since there is a few hundredths of an inch in over travel, that might work.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Love the pistol, just hate that trigger pinch.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Love the pistol, just hate that trigger pinch.

I also have noticed quite an array of differences in the gap at the bottom of the trigger. Mine has no where as near the amount that the trigger in the picture has. I really wish I knew CAD so I could design something better. As I have said, since there is so much pre-travel and over travel, I am convinced that a redesign of the geometry of the trigger and trigger bar that the trigger pull could be reduced, without compromising on reducing the mainspring which could result in a failure to fire.

The only question and I don't have any expertise on this, is would any safety features of carrying it clocked and locked be compromised such as accidentally discharging it because the firing pin blocker is allowed to rotate forward easier now?

Got rid of the horrendous 380 bodyguard for the rosewood p938 a little over a year ago and I'm glad I did, mines been downright Glock reliable.

I've put around 3k through it without 1 single failure of any kind and at times I've tried to make this thing fail but it just eats anything!

One of my favorites in the ever growing collection lol

If only the mag release was ambi....

I love the p938 but will admit I don't carry it. I carry the Glock 26 and Kahr PM9 but I just like P938. It's fun to shoot and is very well made.

image.jpg

Hey dogdoctor, under what conditions was you sig droping magazines? Mine would drop the mag every once in awhile but I figured out it was only with 147grain ammo. Runs great on 124 and 115 grain.

Mousegunguy - 90%+ it was the first shot after a fully loaded (7) round mag was inserted and racked. But it could happen two or three rounds in as well. I'm running 124 grain Blazer Brass FMJ and it's a consistent drop. I've fun some federal target 9 through as well with similar results. I thought the issue was with my grip until 2 friends tried it with similar results.

I'm also not a fan of dropping the mag after carrying, and having the 6th round pop out of the mag and fall out of the gun like a jelly bean. According to Sig that's "normal". Hmmm.

Been reading a lot lately anout main spring housing issues with the p238 and p938. Anyone here having issues. I carry these for protection which is why im a little concerned.

I have about 1.5K though mine. I bought it back in December of 2014 directly from Sig. The only issues to date is that the ambi safety was loose and sent it back to tighten up and address some duracoat issues. I have (4) six round magazines and (1) seven round and I never have had the issue of any of the magazines dropping out or ammo coming out of the magazine when removing it from the firearm.

Anyone replace their P938 recoil spring?
i am at ~800 rds and feel like the spring is getting too light, along w typical signs like snappy recoil from slide over-cycling into frame and also extraction somewhat violent.

Sig says to change at 1500, if your running hot or +P may wear early, a new spring wouldn't hurt.. Cheap insurance anyway

Anyone else run ZQI ammo and have fail to fire problems? I've seen it with this ammo in 2 different 938's. Primer hit but no bang. Run those same rounds through a Glock, &
H&K and they go bang. At first, I thought it was my gun, but when it happened to a buddies, it got me wondering. Both guns will run every other brand we had.
I've run the ZQI brand in other calibers through other guns with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else run ZQI ammo and have fail to fire problems? I've seen it with this ammo in 2 different 938's. Primer hit but no bang. Run those same rounds through a Glock, &
H&K and they go bang. At first, I thought it was my gun, but when it happened to a buddies, it got me wondering. Both guns will run every other brand we had.
I've run the ZQI brand in other calibers through other guns with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought some of that ZQI crap on a whim one day for my 938. Same issue you had. It's the only ammo that has ever caused a problem in my 938. I gave the rest of it away as it was essentially unshootable.

I got a deal on 1500 rounds of zq1, so I've been running ZQ1 exclusively through my 938 at the range. I haven't had a single hiccup yet, but now that I've read this thread, I'll probably have nothing but trouble.

i have had FT-extract with steel and alum cased ammo in my P938.
never had any issues w brass, including the turkish ZQ1 which i actually seem to be quite fond of

I had an issue with the zqi in my p938. The case head area had a light coat of rust. I had a bunch of failure to ignite due to hard primers. I confirmed this was an ammo issue buy running a mag of my carry ammo through the gun flawlessly. I think I got a bad batch.

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

Well today I replaced the mainspring to a 20# spring. I tried to replace the trigger with an IDP trigger but the damn pin beat my punches to death. Not sure WTF is going on with it but I ended up marring around the pin hole area and still have the damn plastic unit installed.

Then the reassembly - talk about a secret handshake to get the extractor/sear on the mainspring correctly - Pretty toasted about the trigger after all that effort to get the damn thing back together again. I'm not afraid to do it again but not in a hurry to do it either.

On the plus side the trigger feels better.

How do people like the tan coloring on the scorpion? Does it hold up well?

Sent from my mobile phone from behind enemy lines.

Well today I replaced the mainspring to a 20# spring. I tried to replace the trigger with an IDP trigger but the damn pin beat my punches to death. Not sure WTF is going on with it but I ended up marring around the pin hole area and still have the damn plastic unit installed.

Then the reassembly - talk about a secret handshake to get the extractor/sear on the mainspring correctly - Pretty toasted about the trigger after all that effort to get the damn thing back together again. I'm not afraid to do it again but not in a hurry to do it either.

On the plus side the trigger feels better.

You need to use a nail set to get the pin started. I took mine to a gunsmith to actually get it done. He had to make a special punch for it. Only charged me $20 for the trigger and spring install.

How do people like the tan coloring on the scorpion? Does it hold up well?

Sent from my mobile phone from behind enemy lines.

Its my EDC. The finish is quite thick, so haven't had any wear externally. It has been worn away where ever there is a fit such as between the slide and frame down to the black primer below it. The only grip I have is that the grip screw loosened up and I lost one. I put a drop of lock tight on it and it no longer is an issue.

I went to Four Seasons to look at single stack 9mm pistols. I narrowed it down to the Ruger LC9S and the Sig P938.
I was torn between the two because the LC9S had such a great trigger. The P938 had everything else. I went with the Sig.
The Sig's slide is so much easier to rack and the sights are much better.
The Sig shoots like a bigger gun. It's not snappy at all. I shot 150 rounds of 3 different brands of 115 grain ammo indoors. Except for hot shells raining down on me, the Sig was flawless.
Of course I bought it just a few days before the "no sales tax and free magazine" offer.

Well my 938 is heading back to Sig for a magazine drop issue. Still love the pistol, would prefer it to not drop mags.
Well Sig customer service was great as expected. They got the firearm on a Thursday and had it back to me the next Wednesday (even taking the time to coordinating shipping to arrive on a day I would be home). The fix: they replaced the magazine catch. Took it to the range yesterday to test it out. Not a single mag drop while firing. Nice!

I went to Four Seasons to look at single stack 9mm pistols. I narrowed it down to the Ruger LC9S and the Sig P938.
I was torn between the two because the LC9S had such a great trigger. The P938 had everything else. I went with the Sig.
The Sig's slide is so much easier to rack and the sights are much better.
The Sig shoots like a bigger gun. It's not snappy at all. I shot 150 rounds of 3 different brands of 115 grain ammo indoors. Except for hot shells raining down on me, the Sig was flawless.
Of course I bought it just a few days before the "no sales tax and free magazine" offer.

The trigger will improve over time as everything breaks in. The one thing I will say is don't mess with it, leave it stock. PUT LOCKTITE ON THE GRIP SCREWS! If your going to IWB carry, get a N8^2 holster. If you want to try an Alien Ware, I have one I can loan you and if you like, PM me for further details [wink]

Thanks Mike.
Since I have a N82 for my G26 and like it, I got one for the P938.
I plan on leaving the P938 as it came. I did get two extended mags.
I enjoyed shooting it and it will be coming to the range with me again soon.
-Harvey

Back
Top Bottom