• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig P938 Fanboys Unite

92G

Anyone else in love with the Sig P938? I am. This little gun doesn't seem to get much love and all this talk about the G43 has my poor P938's feeling down!

Here are mine:

1. Sig P938 rosewood model with VZ double diamond grey grips. At first I thought the VZ grips might be too heavily textured but they're actually perfect. Firearm has >800 rounds fired, flawless with the exception of aluminum cased ammo which it does not reliably extract. With brass it's 100%. It's the only pocket 9mm that I can reliably connect at 25 yards....not sure if this is the SA trigger or just the natural fit in my hand, but I find the gun incredibly accurate despite a somewhat short sight radius.

2. Sig P938 Scorpion wearing Hogue BRG and black G10 mainspring housing. Once the stock scorpion grip panels came off, the scorpion mainspring housing looked totally out of place so I had to replace it. Little did I know the mainspring housing swap was a complete PITA. Gun has about 80 rounds through it, flawless as usual. I have no idea why I acquired this second P938...completely unnecessary on my end. I have trouble saying no to FDE. Probably I should seek therapy on this.

Pics:

IMG_2408.JPG IMG_2411.JPG IMG_2414.JPG

Your scorpion is quite a bit lighter in color than mine is. The only issue I have with mine is the trigger, I wish the corners were smoother. That and the stupid safety on the right side got really loose and had to go back to Sig for service.
5889cbe0-7767-45be-bebf-70c227f57936.jpg

Wife carries P238 every day and I am in the market for the P938. Had a friend tell me go for the G43.. I LOL'd, and said they don't compare.

I am looking for the two tone with the silver controls like the blackwood, i can then update with some VZ grips and I think that will look sharp... If you got one PM me. I missed the one on here a last week BNIB with 3 mags and holster for $650 :-(

you guy's do know the G43 is 480 and SIG is like 600-620?..I like the 43 better IMOP. I'm a striker fired guy.
The sig can't shoot alum when it should.
Price on the sig is 120-150 more..I don't want my carry to have a Hammer
Sigs in the last couple of years have had a lot of issues.
in other words G43 for me. even the xds is 100-150 cheaper than the 1911 mini.
even if the SIG is twice the gun I want mine to always shoot , and that god awful safety...A Glock you can resell for more $ A SIG you lose $...
But on a serious Note I would like to shoot one for more than a Mag next time to really see if I like.

Last edited:
Wife carries P238 every day and I am in the market for the P938. Had a friend tell me go for the G43.. I LOL'd, and said they don't compare.

I am looking for the two tone with the silver controls like the blackwood, i can then update with some VZ grips and I think that will look sharp... If you got one PM me. I missed the one on here a last week BNIB with 3 mags and holster for $650 :-(

the SAS model has stainless slide w rounded edges...kinda nice feature although i prefer appearance of the squared off slide.

the VZ grips for the P238/938 are worth the $$....they really step up the grip and function all around. The hogue rubber grip also isnt half bad....allows for an amazing grip on the gun definitely improves one handed shooting although makes pocket carry tougher due to traction.

WRT the glock 43, they really are apples vs oranges....really no way to compare them. I love the kahr P9/PM9 personally if i were considering the G43 i would have to compare it to the kahr. Having not shot the G43 i cant speak about it from any experience. All i know is if i am running a 6+1 9mm I have had awesome experience w the sig P938 and kahr Pm9 so i aint exactly looking elsewhere.

you guy's do know the G43 is 480 and SIG is like 600-620?..I like the 43 better IMOP. I'm a striker fired guy.
The sig can't shoot alum when it should.
Price on the sig is 120-150 more..I don't want my carry to have a Hammer
Sigs in the last couple of years have had a lot of issues.
in other words G43 for me. even the xds is 100-150 cheaper than the 1911 mini.
even if the SIG is twice the gun I want mine to always shoot , and that god awful safety...A Glock you can resell for more $ A SIG you lose $...
But on a serious Note I would like to shoot one for more than a Mag next time to really see if I like.
I have shot all kinds of ammo including blazer aluminum through both the 938 and 238 with no issues at all. The Glock 43 I tried ran ok but the grip was real hard to hold on to. The Glock 42 I fired was a jam-o-matic right out of the box and the grip seemed real small as well.
I have a ton of rounds through the 238 with no issues, the 938 only has about 3-400 so far, no issues.
I paid 505 for the 238 and 530 for the 938. Not close to 600

Last edited:
all models Mass compliant now? I remember looking at the Rosewood at Sig, my brother inlaw worked there and I could have bought it for 404.00 but passed.

technically the list states the following:

P938
P938 BRG (black rubber grip)
P938 Scorpion
P938 Extreme

It doesn't actually say rosewood anywhere, but it seems most dealers have assumed that "P938" implies the rosewood model. retard.

either way, IMO the best route is to get the cheapest model possible and then drop the extra $$ on some nice VZ grips. the differences between each model is negilgible. although i like the scorpion and extreme i don't much care for Sig's G10 grips....to me they are are too harsh on the hand and dont really offer the same degree of grip as the VZ's. also the scorpion's mainspring housing looks stupid and digs into the hand....it's also a complete pain in the ass to exchange; requires the gun to be completely torn down.

also make sure the grip screws are loc-tite'd in cuz they need to be snug for proper function.

Has anyone done the 20# spring mod? I'm considering buy one - wolff sells them in 3 & 10 packs. I'll but a multi pack if anyone is interested in buying them from me - WE can FTF or I can use USPS to mail out the units.

Please post up and we can go from there - I'd like to order by this time next week.

Has anyone done the 20# spring mod? I'm considering buy one - wolff sells them in 3 & 10 packs. I'll but a multi pack if anyone is interested in buying them from me - WE can FTF or I can use USPS to mail out the units.

Please post up and we can go from there - I'd like to order by this time next week.

Are you trying to improve the trigger pull weight or smoothness?

I didn't do the mod, but I had a friend though and he had a few light primer strikes on some of his reloads. I likened them to a brand of hard primers. You will get more out of it if you send it to a qualified gunsmith and have the hammer and sear polished. The result will be a much smoother trigger and a slightly reduced pull weight. One of the reasons the trigger is the way it is is due to the firing pin blocker lever rotates forward before the sear activates.

Smoother would be better but lighter & smoother would be best. I've lightly sanded the trigger surfaces to smooth it over and need to run it again.

Research indicates that polish & reduced power spring may drop the pull to 4# - not sure how that compares to my M&P w/Apex but there it is.

I have had mine for over a year now with no issues, everyone that shoots it mentions how mild the recoil is for a small gun. All I can say about the accuracy is that it is more accurate than a gun that size has a right to be.

I love mine, I just wish they spent some $$ on a proper trigger and used something other that crap plastic. The only question I have is what is the life of this gun? I would imagine around 15K to 20K rounds, because of the aluminium frame and the steel slide, the softer aluminium would wear away and the fit would become quite loose and non adjustable.

I love mine, I just wish they spent some $$ on a proper trigger and used something other that crap plastic. The only question I have is what is the life of this gun? I would imagine around 15K to 20K rounds, because of the aluminium frame and the steel slide, the softer aluminium would wear away and the fit would become quite loose and non adjustable.

I've heard the 20K round figure thrown around. But you don't really hear about 220s or 226s getting shot out, and I'd guess most folks are more likely to get 20K down the pipe of one of those.

The 238 HD has a stainless frame, doesn't look like there's a 938 version though....

I agree they should have used a metal trigger. The lesson I learnt from my earlier sub Sig 238 was - don't mess with it. As long as you don't mess with it, it's fine. Any LGS can fix a spring if that breaks after high round count. Carry guns don't generally see 50K rounds in their life. Given the micro 1911 style design - recoil spring, FP spring at about 3k rounds and at some point FP - perhaps 15K to 20K rounds. I have heard people have done a few tens of thousands of rounds thru it.

On a funny note I have a couple cases of Magtech. Factory ammo which has a squib per 100 rounds on average. I am using the Magtech as practice ammo thru the 938 because the squibs still get thru the total barrel length of 2.7 inches - they otherwise get stuck in longer barrels. So 99 bang / clangs and 1 dull squeak and the squib falls out.

I love SIG's I had a two-tone 226 in 9mm which I traded in for a VP9 because I needed a sriker fire. O almost regret it.
For carry I decided to go with the Shield because the 938 was way out of my price range, and there were rumors that it was pretty snappy. Is that true ? Compared to the Glock 26 or the Shield ?
Being a SA only, how do you carry it ?

I love SIG's I had a two-tone 226 in 9mm which I traded in for a VP9 because I needed a sriker fire. O almost regret it.
For carry I decided to go with the Shield because the 938 was way out of my price range, and there were rumors that it was pretty snappy. Is that true ? Compared to the Glock 26 or the Shield ?
Being a SA only, how do you carry it ?

Not snappy at all. I would say the P938 has an easier recoil impulse than the shield IMO....dont get me wrong i dig the shield too.

P938 meant to be cocked and locked, condition 1. Perfectly safe....striker guns are carried in almost-fully-cocked condition w no thumb safety and everyone seems to be cool w that!

2 other wins on the P938 are that the slide can be racked w safety engaged and the 6 round mags fit in the pocket super nicely....no chunky baseplate to get in the way. It another reason I love the kahr PM9 the mags are straight winning in the pocket.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the 938, my first real carry gun. It's comfortable, a pleasure to shoot, and come with great features (for me) and sights. Prices clearly vary based on model and relative availability. This factory fresh SAS was a tad north of $600. Money well spent!
P938.jpg

Last edited:
I absolutley love my P938! Wether it's on my hip or in my pocket (depending on situation), it is my go to EDC. I have around 600 through this one both brass and aluminum and not one single malfunction. I liked the original grips but upgrading to the VZ grips was worth every penny. This one isn't going anywhere....

9697ff8ffe2409aa26ee915f350c62ca.jpg

6be03d17f2d96586abc352295ae1d967.jpg

a8ee5b8379a732811228146743c2e1fb.jpg

Bought my 938 after shooting a friends 238. Less than 100 rds through it, so I can't really comment on reliability, but no issues as of yet.

DNizzle- what iwb holster is that ?

Back
Top Bottom