• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig P938. Do you carry yours?

Theres a lot of threads in other forums about problems with feeding, ejecting and mags falling out. I’ve ran into a few problems myself, and it seems to me, or mine Ammo specific. It doesn’t like Tula steel and Federal aluminum. It generally will run them but once in a while won’t eject or feed. As for the magazine falling out, you really have to slam the extended mags home. People were blaming the mag release spring, but I almost think it is a tight clearance with the plastic pinky rest on the magazine itself. Mine runs 100% with brass so I’m going with Ammo specific problems, or maybe it needs more breakin in. I run my guns clean and I don’t use grease, just oil and not a lot.
How many rounds before you clean the firing pin? Do you just clean the firing pin or clean and oil?

I only shoot brass through mine, I carry mine often, as a fat guy with big pants it slides right in my front pocket. I've never experienced any of the issues you are seeing, I also only use a little bit of oil, no grease.

I carry it every day and have for years now. It never fails to go bang when I pull the trigger.

I only feed it handloads.

Theres a lot of threads in other forums about problems with feeding, ejecting and mags falling out. I’ve ran into a few problems myself, and it seems to me, or mine Ammo specific. It doesn’t like Tula steel and Federal aluminum. It generally will run them but once in a while won’t eject or feed.

938 Scorpion is my wife's EDC and I periodically carry a 938 SAS.
Not a plinking gun, so I never considered feeding them plinking ammo. In fact I spend a little extra to train exclusively with 147gr Speer Lawman and then load-out with 147gr Federal HST. (no issues)

As for the magazine falling out, you really have to slam the extended mags home. People were blaming the mag release spring, but I almost think it is a tight clearance with the plastic pinky rest on the magazine itself.

There is a little plastic lip on the front of the magazine base that you can file down the top edge of ever-so-slightly if you feel that it is touching the mag well before the magazine is fully seated.

I carry my P938 cocked and locked, never had an issue once. The only time I had a F2F was when I was limp wristing it trying to intentionally create a problem while training and to condition myself on how to recover from a failure when the SHTF. I have over 1K rounds through it and train monthly. Never an issue.

Fattman and Steviep, I never carry with that stuff. My last carry was sig v crown 147 grain. Catsnoutsoup where do you find that Speer? All I find for ball is 115. I’m familiar with Federal and it seems to run better than the v crown. I had a ftf with the v crown last trip and thought it may have been magazine related. I’ll look at the magazine cover and file as needed and keep crap out of it. I like the idea with training with the same grain. I would usually cycle through a box here and there of my carry. Wouldn’t it cycle better with the bigger load? Also like to get some opinions on grains and performance like the difference between 124 and 147 with respect to recoil and control.
Everyone carries cocked and locked. The ejector pushes up on a firing on block. Let’s not shit this thread up.

Last edited:
Don't use that ammo on your carry piece. besides that, mags dropping is a known issue about 938. You need to send your gun back to Sig Sauer to have it fix. P938 has some issues, its not the most reliable carry weapon out there. But some people never have any issue with it.

The only range ammo I ever had an issue with is that ZQI crap from Walmart. Lots of FTF but never any FTE (except when it didn't fire!). Never any issue with carry ammo. I have ~ 1K or so rounds through mine. I always carry cocked & locked.

Last edited:
Don't use that ammo on your carry piece. besides that, mags dropping is a known issue about 938. You need to send your gun back to Sig Sauer to have it fix. P938 has some issues, its not the most reliable carry weapon out there. But some people never have any issue with it.
I’ll probably send it back if it continues.

What about accuracy? Probably too close to measure?
The accuracy difference was not noticeable
All brass cased ammo I've used has been 100% reliable whether it is Zqi or Winchester. I've never shot an non brass rounds so I can't comment on reliability. I will say that since I bought mine direct from Sig that compared to a LGS 938, mine out of the box had a smoother and lighter trigger.

What repair is performed to address the mag drop? Is it on all mags or only the 7 round? BTW, there is a way out there to run 8 round magazines using P290 mags.

I’ll probably send it back if it continues.
I sent mine back a week after I bought it, it would occasionally end up in a half cock position after firing. Also, it wasn’t always chambering the first round smoothly which I was told was a known issue that would go away after I ran a few hundred rounds through it. They fixed the half cock issue, I ran a couple hundred rounds through it and haven’t had any problems with it since (about 2 years now). It’s my warm weather EDC gun.

All brass cased ammo I've used has been 100% reliable whether it is Zqi or Winchester. I've never shot an non brass rounds so I can't comment on reliability. I will say that since I bought mine direct from Sig that compared to a LGS 938, mine out of the box had a smoother and lighter trigger.

What repair is performed to address the mag drop? Is it on all mags or only the 7 round? BTW, there is a way out there to run 8 round magazines using P290 mags.
I’ve been running Winchester this last round out. 100%. They are the reason I think all the feed problems were ammo specific. I guess I shouldn’t judge other guns against my Beretta 92. It’ll eat any and all.
I sent mine back a week after I bought it, it would occasionally end up in a half cock position after firing. Also, it wasn’t always chambering the first round smoothly which I was told was a known issue that would go away after I ran a few hundred rounds through it. They fixed the half cock issue, I ran a couple hundred rounds through it and haven’t had any problems with it since (about 2 years now). It’s my warm weather EDC gun.
I’ve heard it feeds better if you slingshot the slide instead of using the stop. I have noticed on occasion it didn’t feel smooth on the first round.
On the plus side I’m getting pretty good at clearing malfunctions on the edc. Might be a coincidence but I don’t recall ever having any kind of failure with the 6 round magazine, so I keep that one as the primary just because.

I do like to carry my 938, but the issue I am having is that the safety will get clicked off from time to time when it is in the holster. At first, as discussed in the 938 thread, I attributed it to the Alien Gear holster, but I am still having this issue with the Cross Breed holster I have.

I carry my 938. Have never had any FTF or FTE, although I only use brass. Cocked, locked, safety on. Never an issue in the past few years.

mine started to fall apart after like a few k rounds. the build quality is just meh. sight radius is wicked short. the P938 is still a fine gun just not my thing. for me a kahr PM9/CM9 is similarly sized but substantially lighter, more reliable and more fun to shoot.

I do like to carry my 938, but the issue I am having is that the safety will get clicked off from time to time when it is in the holster. At first, as discussed in the 938 thread, I attributed it to the Alien Gear holster, but I am still having this issue with the Cross Breed holster I have.
You are not alone, this is why I hate Alien Gear. I have half a dozen of their holsters sitting in a padded envelope because they couldn't figure out how to move the mounting holes 1/2". After having the safety "fall off" the holster and dis-engage it I immediacy went into rage mode on them. After a year of back and forths I gave up about bought a better holster. BTW, this goes back to January of 2016 so Aliengear knows about the issue and since us two can't be the only problem and they haven't corrected it I will never give them business or encourage others to as well.

Its my summer casual clothing carry gun (in the factory OWB Kydex holster or a Uncle Mikes OWB pancake holster).

I've never had an issue or a hick-up in all the times its been test-fired (with various ammo), and even with dust, lint + lint balls = in the trigger & hammer areas.

I primarily use a Milt Sparks VMII which IMO is an outstanding holster - comfortable, easy on/off, securely holds the firearm and the mouth stays open for easy reholstering, Trigger area is well covered and never had any issues with the safety moving into the "off" position. I use a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder IWB when I carry and need to tuck my shirt in my waistband.

The original mag catch spring weakens/takes a set with use, the parts (mags and mag catch) get a bit worn being a couple of reasons that this might happen.

My current P938 developed the problem after the first couple hundred rounds. SIG took it back and installed the stiffer spring. The pistol now has in excess of 1k rounds without a repeat of that failure mode.

I use a Kusiak holster. It a minimulist with a thinner leather and the safety is molded in the leather. The safety won’t budge. Wish I knew how to insert photos. It’s inexpensive, I only paid $45.00 for it. I bought it knowing I would get a DM Bullard or a Milt Sparks or something but I really like how this one is made. I think the Kydex thing is a passing fad. IMO. Unless your carrying a large gun IWB I just don’t get the big span of leather on your body. Weight distribution?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom