SIG P320 mods

friscoeast

NES Member
I have a SIG P320 compact - no safety model.

Thinking of installing the APEX trigger enhancement. Anyone installed and how is it?

Also thinking about getting the small sub-compact grip module. Anyone have one and do they like it?

Thx

First : The Apex, are you talking about the flat faced trigger? I like it. There's a general consensus that it increases pull weight, but it also gives a consistent pull across the entire trigger, compared to the normal trigger where it varies.

Second: What model/size are you running now? I don't know if it's possible to take a carry/compact and put it on a sub frame since the recoil spring is shaped differently on the sub. If you have a sub, moving to a different sized grip is easy effort.

Yes you can theoretically run any size slide on the Subcompact-small grip module. Plenty of people put a Compact slide on an SC grip. Assuming it's of the 9/357/40 variant

I personally haven't loved the Apex trigger. It feels sloppier to me than stock and just changes the ergos enough to weird me out. I haven't given it a ton of a chance but I haven't been impressed thus far.

I have installed the apex trigger on my P320c and I like it. Not an earth shattering change but a little more comfortable for me. Before and after trigger pulls were the same.

I dry-fired both the MA and free state versions. The last thing I would think about changing is the trigger. The factory trigger is pretty decent.

Why not just have Sig's Custom Shop do the work to improve it and retain warranty and all? The plus side is you don't have to swap out parts every time it goes back?

The apex trigger and grip modules are not very costly so I'd say get them and try them out. Grayguns has been talking about a drop in trigger upgrade since Moses told them it would be a good idea.

Knowing about the 320 long slide, and then it became the target model and finally it is the new P320 x-five which has a different trigger and weight, I've been waiting for a few years now:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just have Sig's Custom Shop do the work to improve it and retain warranty and all? The plus side is you don't have to swap out parts every time it goes back?

The entire point of guns like a P320, Glock, etc, is hopefully they will never have go to to the factory. You run the gun on a shakedown and if it passes, then you can change stuff out... because odds are very, very long at that point that you would ever have to send it in for service if you had an otherwise well functioning pistol.

-Mike

The entire point of guns like a P320, Glock, etc, is hopefully they will never have go to to the factory. You run the gun on a shakedown and if it passes, then you can change stuff out... because odds are very, very long at that point that you would ever have to send it in for service if you had an otherwise well functioning pistol.

-Mike

Wow! What an optimist.

Wow! What an optimist.

No, just being realistic... If i have a polymer framed handgun that beats the infant mortality window chances are its only going to need basic maintenance over its lifetime. Clean, lube, replace worm springs as needed.

No, just being realistic... If i have a polymer framed handgun that beats the infant mortality window chances are its only going to need basic maintenance over its lifetime. Clean, lube, replace worm springs as needed.

That has not been my experience.

That has not been my experience.

Mileage varies, I guess. I only ever had one polymer framed handgun that "was running really well and suddenly developed problems" and that was my USP Compact .40, the sear spring actually broke inside it and it turned the gun into a DAO. The rest of the defect experiences I've had were either endemic from when I got the gun or occurred shortly after acquiring it. I've had like 9 HKs (mostly USP series, a P2000, and a MK23 and an HK45 full size) , well over a dozen Glocks, and now a couple P320s in the mix. I also had a couple SW99s. Some of these guns I've poured thousands of rounds through and only ever had to change recoil or mainsprings.

I just think that this nostrum of not modifying a trigger "cuz you will have to send it back" is silly stuff, because if that is a reasonable certainty with a handgun you shouldn't buy it to begin with.

-Mike

Mileage varies, I guess. I only ever had one polymer framed handgun that "was running really well and suddenly developed problems" and that was my USP Compact .40, the sear spring actually broke inside it and it turned the gun into a DAO. The rest of the defect experiences I've had were either endemic from when I got the gun or occurred shortly after acquiring it. I've had like 9 HKs (mostly USP series, a P2000, and a MK23 and an HK45 full size) , well over a dozen Glocks, and now a couple P320s in the mix. I also had a couple SW99s. Some of these guns I've poured thousands of rounds through and only ever had to change recoil or mainsprings.

I just think that this nostrum of not modifying a trigger "cuz you will have to send it back" is silly stuff, because if that is a reasonable certainty with a handgun you shouldn't buy it to begin with.

-Mike

Don't throw that wrench into Apex's marketing program

I'm not an apex fanboi or anything like that, hardly.. but lets be real here- you posted that like as if "having to send your handgun in" is a normal thing, it's not... or at least, it shouldn't be. I guess its a reasonable viewpoint if someone was used to running tauruses, or even some smiths as of late (not sure what the deal is, but their QC tends to be in the shitter... then again, usually these manifest as new gun problems. Most people don't go changing triggers until they've tested the base gun pretty well. )

Also, all other things being equal, I'd rather have the factory supply these parts, but knowing what I know about Sig, them selling an "approved" retrofit product like the one Apex or Grayguns sells just isn't happening, because they simply don't care. At least with Glock they sell things like the factory 3.5/minus connectors and you can just drop it in and be done with it.

-Mike

I think Apex's marketing program is more about improving the gun than making it run. My Glocks ran fine when stock. When I installed the Apex safety plunger, the trigger pull became a lot more consistent (as measured by a trigger pull gauge).

The P320 has a pretty good trigger out-of-the box, but it's obviously an subjective kind of thing. I represent Grayguns as a marketing coordinator, and last weekend they released both a straight-face and curved-face trigger that reduces the pull weight between 2 and 2.5 pounds off stock, while preserving all of the safety values of the stock gun. There have been a lot of people waiting for the trigger and they sold hundreds in less than 24 hours, and then they ran out. More are on the way, and more information can be found online...

https://grayguns.com/product/custom-grayguns-p320-trigger-pelt/

Here is an installation video.

[video=vimeo;198510269]https://vimeo.com/198510269[/video]

Last edited:
The P320 has a pretty good trigger out-of-the box, but it's obviously an subjective kind of thing. I represent Grayguns as a marketing coordinator, and last weekend they released both a straight-face and curved-face trigger that reduces the pull weight between 2 and 2.5 pounds off stock, while preserving all of the safety values of the stock gun. There have been a lot of people waiting for the trigger and they sold hundreds in less than 24 hours, and then they ran out. More are on the way, and more information can be found online...

https://grayguns.com/product/custom-grayguns-p320-trigger-pelt/

Here is an installation video.

[video=vimeo;198510269]https://vimeo.com/198510269[/video]
Thanks for sharing. I alternate between stock trigger and the Apex flat, it's easy enough to do but frustrating at times. I look forward to trying the assembly method shown in the video. And to getting an email from Grayguns that this package is back in stock. To anyone planning on changing the trigger out a highly recommend ordering a spare spring to have on hand.

Thanks for sharing. I alternate between stock trigger and the Apex flat, it's easy enough to do but frustrating at times. I look forward to trying the assembly method shown in the video. And to getting an email from Grayguns that this package is back in stock. To anyone planning on changing the trigger out a highly recommend ordering a spare spring to have on hand.

I struggled at first with the trigger return spring until I realized that if you tilt the spring sideways (90* off of the normal plane) it makes it worlds easier. No pliers, no flinging, it's just easy to hook on and then flip up to the standard position.

I picked up a small grip for my 320C a few weeks ago at Shooters Outpost. Might be worth a call to see if they still have some.

My son knew I was interested in the new Apex Advanced Trigger for the P320 that lowers the trigger pull by about 2 lbs. He ordered a curved one for me yesterday and I'm looking forward to trying it out. It's about half the price of buying the Gray Guns Pelt kit and is supposed to lower the pull to about the same amount. I hope it works out well. I'll keep you posted.

I guess I should have gotten the Gray Guns trigger kit. The APEX kit came today and I installed it. The trigger pull feels about the same as the factory trigger. My son just blew 50 bucks for nothing by buying this for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom