• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig P320 Manual Safety

E.Stoner

NES Member
It's my birthday and just impulse-bought a Sig P320 Compact with all the Mass-compliant bull.

I am going to run it a bit before I make any decisions, but do any of you have this model and how do you feel about the safety?

I am of two minds:

Mind 1: I don't mind it. When I carry my other striker fired guns (g19,43) I generally don't keep a round in the chamber. With a manual safety I would (i.e. 1911). Also I think the modular idea is a bit overrated and dont need to be swapping frames and calibers everyday.

Mind 2: It really annoys me the crap out of me. For a gun with pretty slim controls, the safety is the part that sticks out the most. Also, even though I am not a big "slide dropper", the safety is definitely in the the way of the slide release which is stupid. Also it defeats the whole concept of a "modular design" by forcing you to grind out any new frame you buy for it.

I am going to keep it just the way it is for a couple of months and see which mind wins, but I am wondering if there is a way of removing the safety and replacing it with a pin or a bolt then just getting another frame? I have done a bit of googling but haven't seen anything that indicates this is an option. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
i acquired my P320 before the thumb safety models showed up. when i saw the pictures of them i figured it would be terrible, but then i recently fondled one and it actually feels just fine. the thumb safety has very positive engagement/disengagement. no mush. also it's location is actually pretty solid for swiping on-off with the thumb. the only real downside is it does obstruct the slide release. however this isn't a big deal just run the slide by slingshot method and it's good to go.

compared to other firearms like the HK P30 or M&P series, Sig did a much better job putting the thumb safety on the P320. i would not shy away from a P320 just because it has a thumb safety. i also would not chop off the thumb safety and dick up the fire control unit as some seem to be doing.

I would never carry it if it had a thumb safety. Just another thing that you could forget to disengage (bad) or it malfunctions and keeps it locked (worse) should you need it in a deadly force encounter.

Range duty only.

Or get one without a manual safety.

Also don't mind the safety.... But I don't plan on carrying it either. But if I did... It wouldn't bother me. It's well designed, has a good feel, and is easily switched off with a swap of the thumb.

I did end up swapping the "lower" with a non safety "small" version and having to cut out the notch for the safety. Wasn't that bad, the safety is big enough that it covers the whole notch and looks fine.

Also... This gun shoots great... I've got about 100 rds through it and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite guns.

like the looks of the 320, although i haven't had the opportunity to see one up close and personal.

my question is why anyone would carry without one in the pipe? striker or hammer fired. 1 less step either way

Last edited:
like the looks of the 320, although i haven't had the opportunity to see one up close and personal.

my question is why anyone would carry without one in the pipe? striker or hammer fired. 1 less step either way

I think carrying or not carrying is probably more important than how you choose to carry.
I'd rather carry with absolute confidence that I am not going to shoot off my foot or moderately-sized-manhood while pulling it.

My question is still about if anyone knows if the safety can be removed/replaced without compromising the trigger group?

My question is still about if anyone knows if the safety can be removed/replaced without compromising the trigger group?

no. i am armorer for P320 and have confirmed this. this is why, as stated earlier, if having no thumb safety is important then get an FCU with no thumb safety.

ultimately this ninja nonsense about thumb safeties has no relevance to the P320. these are general preferences about thumb safeties and irrelevant. decide what you want and go from there. don't look for the P320 to make the decision for you. it's just a tool it doesn't think.

Last edited:
no. i am armorer for P320 and have confirmed this. this is why, as stated earlier, if having no thumb safety is important then get an FCU with no thumb safety.

ultimately this ninja nonsense about thumb safeties has no relevance to the P320. these are general preferences about thumb safeties and irrelevant. decide what you want and go from there. don't look for the P320 to make the decision for you. it's just a tool it doesn't think.

^^^THIS^^^

Thanks!!! I am happy with the gun as is and looking forward to feeding it lots and lots of ammo this weekend!

I started with a MA model and quickly realized it just didn't fit my grip well. I also found it to be way too big. It also pinched my slight belly chub in an AIWB kydex holster. I ended up sourcing a non-MA FCU on another forum and build exactly what I wanted: Full Size 9mm no safety. Shortly after I picked up the same thing in .40. Both are gorgeous shooters but I prefer the 9mm.

I suspect I will end up picking up a bonefide full size no-safety version as soon I as one crosses my path and the person selling it doesn't give a massive "massachusetts-markup".

I don't think about this as a realistic carry gun, but more a range /backup home/trunk gun. I don't see fighting off ninja jihadis in 1/20 second gun battle scenarios.

If I found another reasonably priced G19 (I already have two) I would just go with that. I also love Sigs and this gun feels really good in the hand. Feels like the lovechild of a P229 and a H&K VP. Also I paid at least a hundred dollars less for a brand spanking new firearm than buying a barely used Glock FTF in mass (screw you very much Maura!).

Ultimately it was my birthday and I just wanted something new! [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom