• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig P320 Compact vs G43x vs P365xl

Any comments on the P320 Compact?

Initially was going to pick up a Glock 43x and then came across the P320 Compact. Not going to carry it that often. More of a house gun and range gun for the wife.

Also considering P365 xl, but since already have a P365 thinking something different.

Thanks

I have the p320 compact, carry, full size, p365xl and p365. The p365 is my favorite carry do to the size and round capacity. I use a p365XL grip on my P365. I like the sights on the P320C better than the M18 sights, not a fan of the wider sight ears on the M18. Have you shot any of the Sigs that you mentioned? I'm not a fan of Glocks, they feel like bricks in my hands.

Last edited:
How do you like the P320 full size? Have you ever shot a P226? I'm curious how you'd compare the feel.

I'm sorry that I can't make a comparison on that since I don't own a P226. I feel there's a little bit less recoil on my M17 and X5 Legion but still prefer my p320C and M18 which has the carry grip and same slide length as the compact.

Thanks for the feedback. No I haven’t shot the XL or P320C yet, but on my list to do so.

My wife isn’t a big fan of shooting the P365 or my G3c so was thinking the P320c would be less recoil and easier for her to shoot and a cool gun for me to add to the collection! If she still isn’t a fan I’ll grab her something in a 22.

Last edited:
If you are just looking for another toy, then get the 320. Your posts suggest this. "Also considering P365 xl, but since already have a P365 thinking something different."

If you are looking for a self defense tool, then there is really no reason to get a 320 if you live in MA. Here's why:

1) If you want a double stack "compact" sized gun, then get a G19. With a Glock you can use pre-ban mags and carry the gun legally with 16 rounds. So at least you get large capacity with all that bulk.

2) The 365 XL shoots just as well as a 320 compact. Its thinner, and lighter and easier to carry, and amazingly has no more recoil.

I write this as a dyed in the wool Glock Biggot.

The P365 or XL is superior to the G43X in almost every way. It holds more ammo(than a regular 43), it recoils less, its easier to hold, its trigger is better. The net is that its a similar sized gun that holds more (or the same for a 43X)ammunition and is easier to shoot. Superior.

So in the end. If you want a larger double stack gun - get the Glock. If you want a smaller gun, get the sig.

The 365 is the easiest to shoot small gun I’ve ever shot. (Includes Kahr P9, G43, Bodyguard, Sig 938, Walther something or other, springfield XDS).

Shooting steel I am faster and more accurate with the 365 than I am with my G26 and almost as fast as I am with my G19. The trigger is perfect for a defensive gun, the sights are excellent. The gun needs nothing. It is a complete package. IMHO its the best carry gun you can buy right now.

And, again, I say this as a Glock bigot. The 365 is the only sig I own.

If you already have a subcompact for EDC, then go larger for the nightstand gun if you don't plan on carrying it daily. Something that has the best options for a light and options for preban for max capacity (if you live in MA). So then the answer boils down to basically G19 or G17, or any P80 kit build that produces roughly the same thing. I would also consider something that can run Beretta prebans.

If you already have a subcompact for EDC, then go larger for the nightstand gun if you don't plan on carrying it daily. Something that has the best options for a light and options for preban for max capacity (if you live in MA). So then the answer boils down to basically G19 or G17, or any P80 kit build that produces roughly the same thing. I would also consider something that can run Beretta prebans.
Great points.

I recently suggested that a friend get a G34 to compliment his P365. he is very happy. Shoots even better than a duty sized gun. Perfect for range or home defense. And legal standard capacity mags.

Its often said that guns like the P320 Compact and G19 are the most versatile guns you can buy.

I agree.

But most of us aren't constrained to just 1 gun. So specialization often yields better results. The G19 / 320 Compact aren't particularly easy to conceal or carry. They also don't shoot as well as their larger brethren. (G34 / 320 X5)

So often the "compact" 320 and G19 end up just sitting in the safe, once you end up buying something smaller and something larger.

But then again, you shouldn't be buying a 320 for self defense anyway. You are limited to 10 rounds. With the Glock you can have standard capacity mags for a not unreasonable premium.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas and thoughts. I was actually looking at the P320 XFive Legion last night and was thinking I should just go big for a shooting pistol and home defense. I will check out the G34 now...

One thing. Glocks don't necessarily "feel good" in your hand. They feel kind of like a 1x3 furring strip.

But I've played around with this and how "good" a gun feels in your hand has nothing to do with how well you shoot it. I have owned a M&P9 as well as a VP9. Both feel wonderful in the hand. But I shot my Glocks better.

My custom 1911 feels wonderful in my hand. But when I'm trying to blend speed with practical accuracy, I shoot my G34 better. (When shot slow the 1911 puts the Glock to shame, but that's another story)

For what its worth, the Gen 5 guns seem to be more accurate. My Gen 5 G19 seems more accurate than my Gen 4 G34, when shot for group.

For what its worth, the Gen 5 guns seem to be more accurate. My Gen 5 G19 seems more accurate than my Gen 4 G34, when shot for group.

Do you think it's the new ledges they added to the polygonal rifling in the Gen 5? I was curious if that was just a marketing thing, but maybe it does produce results.

I don't know. I wonder if its that or that the shorter bbl is stiffer. People running optics are finding that the short barreled guns are generally more accurate. With sights, the long slice/barrel gives you a longer sight radius, which improves practical accuracy. So this kind of thing doesn't become apparent until you put a dot sight on each gun.

I'll let you know when I get a gen 5 34. ha.

One thing. Glocks don't necessarily "feel good" in your hand. They feel kind of like a 1x3 furring strip.

But I've played around with this and how "good" a gun feels in your hand has nothing to do with how well you shoot it. I have owned a M&P9 as well as a VP9. Both feel wonderful in the hand. But I shot my Glocks better.

My custom 1911 feels wonderful in my hand. But when I'm trying to blend speed with practical accuracy, I shoot my G34 better. (When shot slow the 1911 puts the Glock to shame, but that's another story)

I agree with this. I tried 5 Shields and 2 M&P9's and could never be very accurate with any of them. Glocks, different story. I was more accurate with a G26 than all of the carry guns I've owned except the Kahr P9. As far as range guns, the ones I was best with......92FS, XDM9. Oh and when a friend of mine got his VP9sk, my first shot was a bullseye at 9 yards. That gun fits in the hand like it was meant to be there. Wish H&K would make it Ma compliant. (For the non Ma prices)

The 365 is the easiest to shoot small gun I’ve ever shot. (Includes Kahr P9, G43, Bodyguard, Sig 938, Walther something or other, springfield XDS).
Shooting steel I am faster and more accurate with the 365 than I am with my G26 and almost as fast as I am with my G19. The trigger is perfect for a defensive gun, the sights are excellent. The gun needs nothing. It is a complete package. IMHO its the best carry gun you can buy right now.
And, again, I say this as a Glock bigot. The 365 is the only sig I own.
so, i also got stuck with glocks for most of my life, and, i think the thing with p365 is mostly due to the hand size - a medium size palm just wraps it very well, and it is why it feels and shoots so damn fine. may be folks with bigger hands do not share the same opinion, and those with small hands cannot handle it well, but, damn - i agree 100% - compared to g43 that little sig is a joy to handle.
just the front sight is too fat for my liking, but it does not affect the ability to shoot great at 5 and 10 yds.

but, btw, as i was shooting with my 14yr old son - he handles now g17 acceptably well - so - i gave him a p365 to try, and he was not good with it, at all. could not do a tight group at 5yds, all shots were good 5-6 inches apart. he pretty much rejected it after than, and also said it kicks too much. may be not enough muscles and body mass in arms yet - go figure.
with g17 iron sighs he plants most of his shots into a 2" circle when he tries. so, go figure.

Last edited:
I shot my step-dad's P320 expecting to detest the trigger and....didn't. I am critical of Sig's triggers in even their DA/SA guns (they're either exceptional or just bad), but that felt excellent to me. I assume that the P365 has a very similar system, so it won't help you differentiate there, but it was night and day better than any Glock I've ever shot (including my G19, which has a ZEV trigger kit). The P320 is kind of a lego kit- once you get the FCG from your FFL, you can just buy parts off of Midway and make 10 different guns out of it. I'm still very unfamiliar with the laws up there, but the option of having a subcompact and a full-size and a compact and a long barrel competition gun all out of one legal "firearm" might be a way to jump through fewer hoops.

I shoot a P226X5, and am no longer sure if the P320X5 is really a step down. That matters since one of them is $5000 and one is $1000. hat said, the G34 is a fine gun and plenty of far better shooters than I swear by them. Pick what fits your hand.

Back
Top Bottom