• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig P250, is Sig still making the X-Change Kits?

92G

Question for you folks....

I have a Sig P250C in 9mm and although the trigger is "revolver-like", I do enjoy shooting the P250. Lately I've been looking for either a P250 full size in .45acp or at least an X-Change Kit to swap my current compact 9mm over to a full size .45acp. However, it looks like these X-Change kits are becoming quite rare. Is Sig still making them or are they phasing out the whole modularity idea of the P250?

It would break my heart to hear that sig is not going to be continuing the P250 modularity idea, since it provides someone the option to own 1 firearm in basically any size/caliber.

anyway if you folks have any info on the future of the P250 and specifically the X-change kit availability, please let me know.

thx.

Last time I was in Hunters Trading Post in Weymouth (right off of Rt. 3 at Rt. 18) they had several X-change kits on the counter... It had to be a few months ago when I spotted them, so a phone call would be in order.

Find one online- it's only parts, most dealers will ship parts to MA.

Easier said than done. The issue is not shipping or MA-laws. The problem is kits are very scarce to nonexistent.

-----

WRT my OP, I spoke w Sig about it and they report that they do runs of P250 X-change kits like several times per year. Currently they arent selling any kits to distributors which is why theyre absent.

It turns out that Sig can sell them directly via phone purchase to buyer for $260-285 shipped, which is good deal. However theyre back ordered minimum 8-12 weeks since they arent manufacturing them currently.

In my case I found a brand new P250F in .45 from a texas FFL for $400 shipped so it would take a full retard to pass up such deal (and the experts tell me Im only part retard).

Thx to everyone who posted on this.
hopefully my findings WRT P250 X-change kits will be useful to others.

Easier said than done. The issue is not shipping or MA-laws. The problem is kits are very scarce to nonexistent.

-----

WRT my OP, I spoke w Sig about it and they report that they do runs of P250 X-change kits like several times per year. Currently they arent selling any kits to distributors which is why theyre absent.

It turns out that Sig can sell them directly via phone purchase to buyer for $260-285 shipped, which is good deal. However theyre back ordered minimum 8-12 weeks since they arent manufacturing them currently.

In my case I found a brand new P250F in .45 from a texas FFL for $400 shipped so it would take a full retard to pass up such deal (and the experts tell me Im only part retard).

Thx to everyone who posted on this.
hopefully my findings WRT P250 X-change kits will be useful to others.

You've just pointed out why the x-change kits are so hard to find.... It's easier to find a p250 for short money and just buy yourself a whole new pistol

You've just pointed out why the x-change kits are so hard to find.... It's easier to find a p250 for short money and just buy yourself a whole new pistol

In free states yes for sure...some people have hinted that Sig was probably losing $$ by selling X-change kits as opposed to having people buy a new gun.

in MA the issue is a little trickier because only the compact P250's are available. None of the subcompact models are compliant and the full size, while compliant, is damn near impossible to find because Sig isnt even making them. I have never seen a subcompact P250 in MA, so really the only option is via X-change kit unless one can convince an FFL to txfer.

anyway I ended up going through grabagun.com but finding the right model has been a true PITA. I agree though if the price difference were bigger the X-change kit would really shine.

my interest in the P250 is mostly just I love the design and trigger system. I wish the P320 were available in MA but oh well.

was just in hunters, in weymouth. $250.00 per kit, they have 9 / 40 / 357 / 45

wow...thanks!
do you know what sizes they had, subcompact, compact or full size?
i will definitely call over there tmw.
thanks dude.

either sub or compact, i do not believe the full size is ma compliant.
i want to say sub but not 100% sure.

AFAIK the kits arent compliant or noncompliant, they just are.

the trigger group which is serialized and thus "the gun"

That being said, most of the x-change kits ive seen dont have the LCI notch carved into the top of the barrel, but whatever that style of LCI is such a joke.

either way, thank you for telling me hunters in weymouth has some....i will call there tmw. If they have the subcompact in 45 or 357sig i will get it for sure.

squib did you end up getting an exchange kit? how do they work,
how hard was it to change?
i have a 250 in 9mm and also am interested in these kits
thx
garyz

I ended up just buying another p250 in full size 45acp. The reason is that the difference in price less than $200. Also Sig is running the promotion through 8/1/14 to get 2 free mags w any handgun purchase which is like $90 value right there.

In terms of swapping the fire control unit (ie serialized trigger) it is VERY simple and can be done easily. Also its incredible simple to lighten the trigger pull...the DAO with MA compliant trigger is just waaay too heavy. Its smooth but after 20 rds my arm is tired from staging the trigger.

The subcompact x-change kits look cool, but unfortunatly the 9mm SC isnt produced w 10 rd mags, only the 12 rd mags....so out goes that idea. The SC in 40/.357sig is a 10 rd mag which i may end up doing in the future. i despise .40 but kinda like .357 although the price is ouchie. the SC in .45 only holds 6 rds which is kinda stupid because it's thicker than a single stack like Glock 36 or XDS-45.

the P250 full size in 45ACP is awesome. it holds 10 rds and the sight radius is very long...awesome home defense gun. i really like the DAO system especially for a gun my woman would be using.

the X-change kits are definitely tough to find. As you mentioned above, Hunters Trading Post in Weymouth has some for $250 which is a very good deal. I called over there but they only had compact kits and i don't have much use for those since i already have the 9mm compact. At this point I would probably buy the SC in 357sig. Also Sig Sauer can sell them directly over the phone for like $280 shipped...unfortunately it's like an 8-12 week wait on them.

Any info on helping out that trigger would be appreciated.

OK I am planning to discuss with my local Guru (Don at 1776) and I will let you know how it goes. From inspecting the trigger assembly myself, it looks pretty straightforward....I mean if I can understand a trigger mechanism then it's an easy one.

Any info on helping out that trigger would be appreciated.

If it is just going to be a range gun, you can try what I did. In the hammer there are two springs (inner and outer). It is a little bit fiddly, but doable.

Disconnect the trigger bar spring making a note of how it is oriented. Knock out pin below hammer springs (smaller of the two). Both springs are pretty compressed and pin will need some persuasion. Remove both springs. Now is a good time to clean out inside of hammer and springs and regrease. Reinstall outer hammer spring. Reinstall pin making sure to get orientation of the safety lever correct. Reconnect trigger bar spring.

I've done this to try it out. I've tried several types of ammo (from what I have) to try to get a light strike and I couldn't. Your mileage may vary. I've since gone back to two springs because I found the lightness a bit too light.

Cool thx i will look into it.
usually i leave trigger manipulations to my gunsmith but the P250 trigger group is so easily accessed that I will see if I can fiddle with it as you describe.

One thing I forgot to mention is that removing one of the springs also changes the recoil dynamics because the hammer is providing resistance on the backward motion of the slide.

I've tried a 40/357 spring in my 9 and even returning to stock (two hammer springs) have yet to encounter a FTE.

Back
Top Bottom