• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig P239 - A Sleeper?

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
A little while ago at the local gunshop my FFL, another customer, and I were talking about the Sig P239. My FFL had a nice two-tone in 9mm on his wall. Both of them commented that through their different sources they have both heard that the P239 is quickly becoming one of Sig's most popular guns. Apparently more and more people and agencies are buying these because of the quality and shootability of these pistols.

Has anyone else heard anything like this?

I haven't heard that about the agencies buying them, but I've been planning on picking one up for quite some time now. Went out with a cut of last years tax return to get it & ended up with a HK USPc which I'm probably going to trade for the Sig this year. It's a nice pistol, well made and a great rep. They also have the 239 SAS(sig anti snag) model which is very nice; DAO(or DAK), smoothed edges and I think it has night sights.

CD

Some years ago, a woman came up to me as the class I was teaching was breaking up. I had seen her down at the other end of the range blasting away with some kind of auto, but otherwise paid no attention.

“Are you an instructor,” she asked, perhaps prompted by my hat, which declared, in bold letters “INSTRUCTOR.”

“Indeed,” I replied.

“Well,” she said, “I bought this pistol at the recommendation of a police officer in my town, but there seems to be something wrong with it. Would you take a look?”

“Well,” I replied looking at my watch, “I have only a few minutes, but I’ll take a quick look.”

After packing my own stuff and putting it in the trunk, I went down the other end of the range. It seems this lady had blasted about half a box of 9mm at a 2-foot by 3-foot target 25 yards away and landed nary a single round on paper. She had, however, properly cleared her weapon, removed the magazine, and laid it down on the bench.

I did a quick inspection and then a quick field strip and could find nothing wrong with her gun, a pistol I’d therefore never held, much less fired. I reported this to her, and said that maybe if I fired a couple of rounds I could find the problem. She invited me to do so.

So I loaded two magazines with three rounds each and fired them. The pistol, while small in size, felt good in my hands and the sights were much better than you find on small autos (of which I’ve never been a fan). The pistol functioned flawlessly. We then walked to the target and observed the arrival on paper of two 3-shot groups; each group was about 2-inches in diameter and the two groups were about 2 inches apart on centers.

“Don’t think there’s anything wrong with your pistol,” I observed, perhaps unnecessarily.

I then made some inquiries and learned that the lady was a young professional (accountant or something, I think) with a suburban office; her job required that she be out and about most weekday nights visiting clients. She had taken a firearms course that seems to have taught her some of the rules of safety (but little about marksmanship), and then purchased this particular pistol on, as she had noted earlier, the recommendation of a police officer in her town.

‘Twasn’t good advice, as the learning tool for new handgunners is the revolver. I gave her a bit of information about the difference between pistols and revolvers, both from a pragmatic and from a learning-curve perspective, and then I gave her less than 15 minutes of rudimentary marksmanship instruction. I then looked at my watch again and said, “I really have to go now.” But before I left, she pumped off two 5-round magazines and printed all but one or two on the paper.

Two days later I went down to Four Seasons and bought a SIG 239.

I am not, I say again, generally a fan of small auto pistols. But this one is not only mechanically superb and capable of extraordinary accuracy, but it relates to the user in terms of feel, functions and sights better than any small auto, and many full-size autos, I’ve encountered.

I have owned a 239 in 357 SIG (My favorite persoanl defense caliber) and sold it only because I prefer DAO and already had/have a 2340. BUT the 239 was always one of my favorites.

I think the 40 S&W and 357SIG variety are great. I have no experience with the 9MM (and don't want any)

I aways needed the Hogue rubber grips to maintain a proper grip but other than that, they are excellent for concealability and reliability.

Regards,

I have been looking at a Sig P239 (.40) for awhile now. I know someone that is selling one w/ about 500 rnds thru it for about $600. Cant beat that price becuase it includes the .357 barrell as well as the Houge grips. Bloodhound has one which i have shot many times and it shoots like a dream. So IMO i like the gun and cannot go wrong with a Sig.

Richie

The 229 .40 and the 239 9mm are two of my favorite Sigs. Great gun the 239 is.... although IMO is kind of big for good CCW. Some 239 have been known to have rattling slides... like mine. Doesn't affect accuracy or reliability one darn bit though.

‘Twasn’t good advice, as the learning tool for new handgunners is the revolver.
Don't mind the thread hijack, but...

My first gun was a Glock 17. As an NRA instructor, I don't think there's anything wrong with someone's first gun being a semi-auto.

as bigrich said i have one...it was my first semi auto pistol...i love it...i put the hogue grips on it for a better fit...the one i bought was .40 cal but i got the factory barrel for .357 too...its an awesome gun and almost always comes to the range with me...i bought it because Carl at four seasons told me it was the current issue for our federal air marshalls in .357...sweet shootin gun...its a little heavy considerin its all metal but a fine piece of machinery...i used to carry it alot but prefer to carry my glock 23 due to the fact that its light and i can carry twice as many rounds...the sig is a real tackdriver though

All I can tell you about the P239, is that its damned good.

Despite its lack of capacity, theyre good solid guns. My 1996 9mm version
is still running strong.

The one thing that needs to be improved though, is the gun needs to come
STOCK with Hogue wraparounds on it. The gun feels like a 2 by 4 otherwise....
Sig would do themselves justice by rounding out the front
of the gripframe or something to make it "deeper" and rounded, but not
any wider than it is now. Or they should at least change the stock
grip panels from soap bars into something with deep checkering... but thats
my only gripe.

-Mike

I've had my 239 for going on six years now. It's my IDPA and preferred carry gun. I find it VERY easy to hide and very shootable. Never had a single problem with the gun. Do have one mag that didn't like to lock open the slide, but I have 6 others that do, so it's likely the mag.

I have a drop-in BarSto barrel in .357 SIG that functions flawlewssly in my .40 S&W model with the .40 mags. If the ammo were cheaper, that would be my caliber of choice and its a VERY unique sound too.

About the only downside is that the barrel does ride a bit higher than most pistols of the same size. This can contribute to more muzzle flip for some shooters, but I've never had an issue with it.

Sig's decocker is one of the cleanest designs, and it's one of the easiest to strip pistols I know of.

Best 'aftermarket for these is the Houge grip. Really does a great job of fixing the grip issues. Have not had any issues with the rubber holding onto clothing.

Ring's even makes a 'Blue Gun' in the 239 which makes training and instruction with the little pistol easier as I can swap out the trainer and the live gun as needed.

One drawback is the 7 round magazine in .40 and .357 SIG, ( you can get a 10 round in 9mm) but that hasn't been a major issue.

As for carry, I've found that just about everything works well. In fact, my favorite holster is a simple belt slide by Mitch Rosen. It balances quite well with just that little bit of support.

Try it, you might like it.

Try it, you might like it.

Had a woman use that line on me many years ago....but that's another story.

I guess that the only question is 9mm or .40 S&W?

And which gin do I get rid of to make room for this?

Of the two, I prefer the 9mm. With the relatively high bore axis and aluminum frame, I get a fair bit of muzzle rise out of both, but a bit less from the 9mm. YMMV.

One of the last sticking points for getting one of these is that it can't do much that my Glock 19 can do lighter and with more rounds. Now I like both Sigs and Glocks but I'm not quite rich enough to just go out and buy a pistol like this just on a whim.

But I do have to agree with most of the points brought up so far. Hogue grips do make it easier to hold (and control) and the quality can't be beat.

Maybe if someone buys my Sig P229 (hint, hint) I'll be able to do this.

Was just about to post a similar question....

I was just about to post a question about the 239, but it might make sense to just tack it on here. I'm shopping for my first handgun and fairly certain that I want a semi-automatic 9mm. Purpose: home defense and target. I applied for an unrestricted class A, but we shall see if I get it. I have no intention of carrying on a daily basis, but I would consider carrying if I had to go to a bad area, etc. So ideally, I'm looking for a gun that could be carried if the need arose.

Went to a store and held the p239 w/ the hogue grap. I think it was the most comfortable 9mm I've held (and I have a very big hand). From what I've read, it's supposed to perform as well as larger 9mm's re: accuracy, even though the sight radius is shorter. Granted, it has a smaller capactiy as compared to the 229 or 226.

Now for the question -- is it a bad idea for a newbie to start out with a compact model, especially if the newbie has big hands? The reviews of this gun for CCW seem very good. Just wondering if this is a good all-purpose gun, especially for a newbie.

Thanks in advance.

sleepydog, welcome to NES.

You could certainly do worse than the P239 for a first handgun. But, depending upon your familiarity with firearms, a better first purchase might be something like a .22 pistol. How much shooting experience do you have? Knowing your background could help us answer this question a little better.

I have some shooting experience (maybe 10 times at a range?), but not tons. I'm not really interested in a 22, at least for now.

How well a gun feels in your hand IMO is one of the most important factors if not THE most. If the 239 fits you with a proper grip the I think the 239 9mm is a fine selection. However! I would suggest you try other 9mm handguns first. When I purchased my first Sig, the 226, it felt good to me.... but now I've realized that my grip is compromised because I have smaller hands.

Can I shoot the 226 better than the 239? Maybe.. but not by much because the 239 allows me a better grip. Size is more important than sight radius IMO... certainly for these types of guns. On the other hand if you buy the wrong one.. there's always another purchase just waiting for you. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom