• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig P238

My father is looking to purchase a Sig P238 as a pocket carry option. I don't have any personal experience with Sigs, other than knowing their good reputation. Was looking for a little input to relay to him with pros/cons about this particular gun before he picks it up. From what I have read, it appears to be a good choice.

Any input is welcome,

-Matt

Pros: Easy shooting, accurate for its size, small enough for pocket carry, well made, tons of color options.

Cons: .380, 1911 manual of arms (carry cocked & locked), can be finicky with some hollow points due to the extreme feed angle, low capacity.

Nice little gun. Fits well in your pocket and shoots well. The only thing I noticed is it does not like non brass cases

Love mine. I bought the sport edition and its g2g.... also look into the p938 if he wants the 9mm there is slight diff in length either are great options

Love mine. Very accurate, makes me look like a good shooter. No problems carrying and practicing for over a year now.
I think you will hear nothing bout good about the gun, sans the 380 caliber which most of the guys here with small units will trash talk it.
Change out the black "grip" for a Hogue grip and it's a sweet little carry piece.

Had one and sold it. Was not a fan of carrying cocked and locked and having to pick fuzz balls out of the hammer every week or so. I also did not want to have to remember to hit the safety in the event that I had to use it but if you train enough I suppose that would be a moot point. I will say that quality was excellent though and it shoots nice.

I would recommend G42 for pocket carry instead of p238. you will need a good pocket holster if you go with p238

I've had two P238's and they both worked well with the included wallet style pocket holster.
. I bought a p238 Equinox a few years ago and it didn't come with a wallet style holster. It came with a really crappy iwb plastic bolster that whenever I drew it the holster would stay on the gun and detract from my belt.

It was one of these:
72bdcb965059b3724bcf9cdd4b5149fa.jpg

I thought it worked well for what it was and no printing.

I carry my P238 daily on my ankle, I forget it's even there. I'm going to be getting a P938 in the very near future, I'd rather the 9mm over the .380

What everyone else said. 238 is great, 938 is even better (just due to ballistics). It's hard to miss with either, even out at 50'.

I like the OWB that comes with the 938 use it everyday..

I thought it required an odd draw in order to release from the holster, but I'm also not used to that particular type of holster. Either way I wouldn't make the decision based on the holster is comes with, as everyone will prefer something different and you'll probably try a couple different holsters anyway.

I've owned both the 238 and 938 and I think they both perform great. I will suggest trying the extended mags for either since I was more comfortable and shot better with the extra grip in my hand. Might make pocket carry tougher though.

I also know someone who carries the 238 on their ankle and forgets they have it on. It is a pretty light little gun so it's easy to ignore the weight and conceal it.

I carry one every hour of every day IWB at the appendix. I shoot it every time I o to the range and it always goes bang. It took a little while to get comfortable with the coked and locked but I am used to it now.
I have a 938 also but I like the 238 better. It is a little smaller and a lot less snappy.

Thanks for all the great info guys. I forwarded the feedback to him and he ended up going with the P938. I know he picked up a holster, not sure what one he went with though. Also picked up the extended mag. We are going to bring it to the range over the weekend and break it in a bit.

Heavy trigger, pivots from the top, unlike a 1911, which pinches the finger between the trigger and trigger guard, and, like all the other mini 1911 styles, the safety does not engage the slide. In a tight holster, the slide can push back slightly on re-holstering, putting it out of battery. Other than those things, I like mine.

My p238 has a much better trigger then my p938 but thats just my opinion, the p938 trigger is much better then most of my other pistals

Back
Top Bottom