Sig P238 Question

According to "The List" the P238 is OK'd fro sale in MA. However, it doesn't list a specific model number, as in 238-380-BSS, just P238.

On Sig's website they list the Nitron, Blackwood, Equinox, and Rosewood as being MA compliant and the other models are not.

So my question is...if I was to stick with what Sig says is OK, I shouldn't have a problem transferring one in from out of state if I was to pick it up on Gun Broker, right? Or are there specific MA models for each flavor?

That depends on your dealer and the details of the compliance. In many cases there's a different model with a "M*******" (to verify if there's a round in the chamber), a stupidly heavy double action trigger, or some other difference to meet the guidelines. Technically, you're only allowed to transfer those models, not the general free state model. Practically, some FFLs will take care to make sure of these things, and some will transfer if it's on the list and not worry about such details. Technically they could be liable for a "deceptive practice" for the transfer, but there's no liability on you.

Either it is compliant or it is not. It has nothing to do with what we or anyone thinks is safe, or has a heavy trigger.
That's all BS.
Whatever the AG says is compliant is the end of the road.
No competent FFL will even think of transferring a non-compliant gun to you. Check with the FFL first before you buy it. Only a few of the p-238's are compliant.

Don't try to get around the law. It will cost you

1 ffl told me pretty much they would transfer and or sell ANYsig p238 cus I wanted to buy a 2nd 1 but it wasn't listed as "ma compliant" but that was 1 dealer I talked to

Take a ride up to the Sig Academy Pro Shop. They will lay it out in black and white on which models are MA compliant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If an FFL will transfer it to you the penalties are on them. Owning a gun not on the approved roster or that also doesn't comply with the AG's regs is not a crime. An FFL selling you one is (for them, not you).

Either it is compliant or it is not. It has nothing to do with what we or anyone thinks is safe, or has a heavy trigger.
That's all BS.
Whatever the AG says is compliant is the end of the road.
No competent FFL will even think of transferring a non-compliant gun to you. Check with the FFL first before you buy it. Only a few of the p-238's are compliant.

Don't try to get around the law. It will cost you

Back
Top Bottom