• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig P226

Anyone NOT love their Sig P226 ?
Why?

I didn't. I had it for a year and sold it.

The grip was too fat, trigger reach too long (I didn't install a short trigger, that might have helped). Bore axis was way, way too high. Shot way high from the factory -- I sent it back to have a taller front sight installed. DA trigger was OK at best. Same for SA.

If I was going to go DA/SA, I'd go CZ. Much lower bore axis.

YMMV.

most non-polymer framed double stack 9 mm pistols have fat grips (e.g. Beretta 92). The new (last 5 years?) wrap around grip makes it a lot easier to handle.

I like my 226 but sometimes wonder if I should have got the 229--only logical answer is to get both!

most non-polymer framed double stack 9 mm pistols have fat grips (e.g. Beretta 92). The new (last 5 years?) wrap around grip makes it a lot easier to handle.

I had it before the new grip, so I've never tried that. The CZ75 line has a noticeably slimmer grip.

I had it before the new grip, so I've never tried that. The CZ75 line has a noticeably slimmer grip.

I've always liked Sigs, but I have to admit that the CZ-75 has much better ergonomics.

I'm not a huge fan of the Sig E2 grips. They just don't feel "right" to me.

I like my 226 but sometimes wonder if I should have got the 229--only logical answer is to get both!

Do you mean the E2 grip or the cheap, but new plastic grip? Mine still has the old 1996 grip.

Have a DAK in .357sig. Ergos are great for my hand and I dont hate the reach of the trigger. however, I have huge hands. My 229 is SA/DA 9mm with E2 grips and I like it equally. It comes down to different strokes for different folks. There are die hard sig fans, venomous haters and everything in between.

I love my p226 i have a 2011 production exeter nh model and just picked up another one yesterday a w. germany 226 mfg date 92, they are high quality well built pistols.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 78
I like mine but would like a Short reset trigger installed. Anyone know a good person to install this?

I've put in four now. It's literally a 10min operation, and part of that is removing the grips. It's a very straight forward DIY.

And to answer the OP, I've had mine since 1988. Through a half-gazillion rounds, including multiple training courses, years of IDPA and other competition, it has never burped. Not once. Unless the ergos are just all wrong for you, it's hard not to like this gun.

My first gun was a 226 with E2, MA version. Reliable tack driver but the ergo was not ideal. 229 had better ergo for my hands. Lately I am into CZ's, why did it take me so long to find one!

I need to try a CZ.

does anyone carry their P226? I picked up a Safariland holster for class work but I don't see carrying the thing, it's so heavy.

I have a 226 and, like the Beretta 92FS, it has been totally reliable for me. I do have some aftermarket mags that don't always feed the last round, but that's not the fault of the gun. The grips are a just a bit large for me as well, but i have small hands.

I like it, and respect it for the design and quality, but I don't love it. It just doesn't have a perfect match for me. I recently got an all stainless S&W 5906 and that is my favorite 9mm now. I like the compact and smooth lines of the S&W, and heavy dense feel, similar to a 1911. The Sig has more metal than a polymer gun, but it isn't quite like the "fistful of steel" feel of the 1911 or older all-metal Smith & Wessons.

Likewise If I could get my hands on a CZ 75 in this godforsaken state, I would do that as well.

I have a 226 and, like the Beretta 92FS, it has been totally reliable for me. I do have some aftermarket mags that don't always feed the last round, but that's not the fault of the gun. The grips are a just a bit large for me as well, but i have small hands.

I like it, and respect it for the design and quality, but I don't love it. It just doesn't have a perfect match for me. I recently got an all stainless S&W 5906 and that is my favorite 9mm now. I like the compact and smooth lines of the S&W, and heavy dense feel, similar to a 1911. The Sig has more metal than a polymer gun, but it isn't quite like the "fistful of steel" feel of the 1911 or older all-metal Smith & Wessons.

Likewise If I could get my hands on a CZ 75 in this godforsaken state, I would do that as well.

I have a couple of P226s that I love, but I have replaced the sights and had expensive ($500!) trigger jobs done. These guns are very well made but pricey and in need of mods as they come from the factory. I think the S&W 5906 is a better gun right out of the box.

I have a couple of P226s that I love, but I have replaced the sights and had expensive ($500!) trigger jobs done. These guns are very well made but pricey and in need of mods as they come from the factory. I think the S&W 5906 is a better gun right out of the box.

Wow. You can search the entire Internet and you will not find that line written anywhere else.

WRT SRT:

I've put in four now. It's literally a 10min operation, and part of that is removing the grips. It's a very straight forward DIY.

I do like the SRT in my P220 Elite, and would like to install it in my P226. With my P226, after the hammer falls, there is small amount of additional trigger travel as the slide begins to cycle. I don't know if that's normal for the P226, but that trait is not perceptible with my other two Sigs (P227 and P220 Elite). Can anyone comment on that?

I like mine but would like a Short reset trigger installed. Anyone know a good person to install this?

Yes, SIG. They were having a sale, and they gave me a deal on shipping since I was local. Printed label, took to FedEx and it came back to me about a week later. Had SRT and different size trigger to fit my smaller hand better. GREAT job!

I've always liked Sigs, but I have to admit that the CZ-75 has much better ergonomics.

I'm not a huge fan of the Sig E2 grips. They just don't feel "right" to me.

I have a 226 and its a great gun but I shoot my friend's CZ much better. Bore axis. My go to at the moment is a G19. Not a fanboi it just shoots well.

Yes, SIG. They were having a sale, and they gave me a deal on shipping since I was local. Printed label, took to FedEx and it came back to me about a week later. Had SRT and different size trigger to fit my smaller hand better. GREAT job!

Honestly, it's not worth spending any money on this. If you can push a simple pin out with a punch, you can do this.

This guy does it inside 4 minutes.

http://youtu.be/scx5Ej_dkQ4

Last edited:
I have only owned and shot the the 229 and 239. If you could find a 226 elite I would try that. The beaver tail is a nice touch.

It really is amazing how different people feel about the same gun. I have a 226 and a 229 and shoot them both very well.

I tried a Glock 19 and had a lot of trouble with it and my buddy shot the thing like it was an extension of his hand.

I think it has a lot to do with the size of your hands and the length of your fingers. I had a hard time finding a subcompact that felt comfortable for me.

It really is amazing how different people feel about the same gun. I have a 226 and a 229 and shoot them both very well.

I tried a Glock 19 and had a lot of trouble with it and my buddy shot the thing like it was an extension of his hand.

I think it has a lot to do with the size of your hands and the length of your fingers. I had a hard time finding a subcompact that felt comfortable for me.

Totally agree. That's why the "what gun should I get" threads amuse me. Its like shoes, ya gotta try them on.

Wow. You can search the entire Internet and you will not find that line written anywhere else.

I must qualify my statement. If the SIG had one of the new SRT triggers, I would consider them almost equal, with a slight edge to the S&W because I prefer the S&W sights.

I am not blowing smoke here. I own both pistols and have put quite a few rounds through them in both practice and USPSA competition. Try them both, the test will be a real surprise.

I had the same problem with some cheap magazines. You can fix that by grinding down the notch on the follower. They seem to have been for a different model and the notch is too high. Pm me if you want more details

See Scott read my signature line. People fall prey to conventional wisdom and fad all the time. No gun company worked harder to make their pistols as good or better than Sig than S&W back in the 80's and 90's. Some bad marketing decisions, coupled with a misperception as to who their major competitor was going to be, they actually thought Taurus was going to dominate the market with revolvers, the loss of the .gov pistol contract to Beretta (should have gone to Sig) because the 459 wasn't quite good enough and totally missing the Glock threat...where did these curtain rod makers come from? Put the engineering staff down on Springfield into a design frenzy that produced some of the finest metal traditional DA/SA pistols ever made, with some interesting variations. Trouble was, damage was already done, and perception beat ground truth every time. You can get two used 5900 series Smiths in good shape for the price of one new P226 and get 2 guns of better quality. Sigs are great guns, not to denigrate them, but I'm surprised no one has brought up the quality control issues that seem to be plaguing them in recent years, the major reason why, for instance the MSP dropped the P226 DAK after having the pistol in service since the mid 80's first in 9mm, then 40 then 40 in DAK variant.

With movement away from traditional metal DA/SA pistols, the P226 is a bit long on the tooth. It will be with us for some time and had entered the great gun hall of fame as a classic, but it's time is passing and I doubt if it will be in the catalog twenty years from now or maybe even ten years from now, now that Sig had their polymer striker fired pistol. IMO the traditional DA semi automatic pistol has a lot going for it and a lot of its liabilities, chiefly learning two trigger pulls, is much ado about nothing in the real world, YMMV but whether armed with a P226 or a 5906 (my preference) one is well armed indeed and if you do your part, either pistol is up to the task at hand.

Back
Top Bottom