• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig P226

A failure of the slide to lock back on an empty magazine is incredibly common for SigSauer pistols and can almost always be traced to the shooter holding down the slide lock while shooting. If you're holding the gun correctly, you're likely to experience this. The slide lock is poorly positioned. As my shooting and technique has improved I've found that my slide almost never locks back on an empty magazine. I've tried to adjust my grip, but the better my grip gets the more problems I have with this.

That's its own problem. Your weak hand needs to be fully engaged in holding the gun and you want as much of your weak hand contacting the grip as possible. You cannot have that hand too high on the grip.

I have tens of thousands of rounds through three different P series Sigs (four if we're counting frames) and have never had a magazine related malfunction with Sig or Mec Gar magazines. Other than Mec Gar, after market mags are crap. Hard stop. I would replace the recoil spring, although despite it's age, it doesn't sound like your gun has that much wear.

I have never had the slide not lock back on a empty mag with my 226 8,000 rounds plus. If your hitting the slide lock with your thumb stop holding them sraight up and point them forward.

Not sure where you're at on this, but if you are going to change out the springs I've heard great things about the ones sold here http://grayguns.com/grayguns-diy-action-upgrade-spring-kits/ and I'm planning on trying them in my P226 as well. Just an idea... Lets you change out the old springs and tune the gun at the same time. Can't beat that! :)

One of the member was kind enough to stop by the range and take a look at it. He agreed that the gun is in great shape he doesn't believe that the spring need to be replaced. He gave me a better grip to hold the gun and after 40/50 shots I could not get the gun to FTF.

After that I have not fired the gun since I need to pick up some more 9mm. Once I get some more ammo I'll run 2-300 rounds through it and see if my grip was the problem with the FTF. As far as not locking back, it still did that a couple times but I can deal with that.

Get a new spring regardless. And try a different mag. Springs are cheap and an easy fix. I would also give the gun a good cleaning and check for burs and dents where slide rides on the frame.

Back
Top Bottom