SIG P226 or S&W M&P

I fail to see the SIG fantasy.

Clunky, oversized, and not any more reliable or accurate than any other quality pistol.

Currently I have a SIG P226 9mm with night sights. Lately I'm craving a S&W M&P .45. Anyone think it would be a good trade to get rid of the SIG and get the M&P?

I don't think it would be a fair trade (the Sig is worth more), but having fired both, the M&P 45 is very nice. I have been considering picking one up, though not at the expense of my Sig 229.

I bought an M&P 45 recently and was appalled by the 10lb MA trigger. I replaced the MA trigger spring with the stock item and also did a little polishing. The gun now has a much more reasonable 5.5lb trigger.

This gun has the smallest grip for a double column .45 gun I have ever handled. As I have rather small hands this is a big plus. My M&P is shooting groups at 50yds that I have only seen with custom pistols; I am a happy camper.

The only draw back with this pistol is the trigger. MA triggers are useless; you need a gunsmith unless you can do the job yourself. The plus is that a talented gunsmith can give you an excellent trigger.

PS Trading up to a .45 is always a good move.

I'd never get rid of a P226 for an M+P anything. Maybe own both, but I'd never dump a Sig for an M+P.

-Mike

Case by case my friend

Hey I just thought I would put my experience in here for what it is worth.
I have had a Sig and run 2500- 3000 rounds with never a problem.
My friend finnally said OK I will get a Sig also.
He never got more then 75 rounds thru it with out failure to fire and or failure to eject.
This was a Sig 245 and he sent it back to Sig who then told him nothing was wrong at all but yet they chose to replace 5 or 6 parts anyway just to be sure.
He got it back and sure enough 80 rounds later click click click no fire.
Question??? is the definition of "TO HELL AND BACK RELIABILIY" only good if you can make the trip with 80 rounds or less.
I just do not know but I think it is way to personal a choice to just throw it out there.
Buy what you like and use it a lot until you find one that just works and then do not ever let it go.

Stick with the Sig. It's worth more, you can get preban mags for it and it has a far better trigger. Ammo is cheaper also, if you can find it.

If you need a M&P, just save and buy it. Two are always better then one when it comes to handguns.

I fail to see the SIG fantasy.

Clunky, oversized, and not any more reliable or accurate than any other quality pistol.

Somebody please contact the following organizations and let them know its time to turn in their clunky over rated pistols.

Users of the P226
Canada
Canadian Forces.
Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources Conservation Officers
Ontario Provincial Police
CN Railway Police
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
PLGS Nuclear Response Force
Royal Newfoundland Constabulary
Newfoundland and Labrador Department of Natural Resources Conservation Officers (.40 S&W)
Finland
Finnish Army
Germany
Berlin Spezialeinsatzkommando
India
Indian Army
Parachute Regiment (India)
MARCOS (India)
National Security Guards
Ireland
Emergency Response Unit (Garda)
Irish Army Rangers
Iran
Adopted it for use under license by Defense Industries Organization as the ZOAF[9] and, currently, as the PC9 pistol
Iraq
Kurdish Special Forces
MNF-I
Indonesia
Gegana
Denjaka
Satgas Atbara
Kopaska
Kopassus
Israel
Sayeret Duvdevan
Japan
Special Assault Team
Special Boarding Unit[10]
Jordan
Counter Terrorism Battalion (CTB-71st)
Royal Special Guard
Republic of Korea
South Korean Army
Mexico
The Mexican Army uses the P226 Tactical
The Mexican Marine Corps use the P226
Malaysia
10 Paratrooper Brigade
Grup Gerak Khas
General Operations Forces
New Zealand
New Zealand Army
Royal New Zealand Air Force
Royal New Zealand Navy
New Zealand Special Air Service
Poland
Polish Navy (GSP FORMOZA)
Portugal
Portuguese Armed Forces
Police PSP.
Philippines
Philippine National Police
National Intelligence Coordinating Agency
Slovenia
Slovenian Army (ESD - Special Forces)
Singapore
Singapore Armed Forces
Spain
Grupo Especial de Operaciones (GEO)
Sweden
Swedish Police
Turkey
Turkish Armed Forces (Maroon Berets)
United Kingdom
British Armed Forces under the designation L105A1 non railed version and L105A2 for the railed version
British Armed police
Special Air Service
United States
Arizona Highway Patrol (P226, P229, P239.40 S&W)
Defense Intelligence Agency
Federal Reserve Police Jacksonville Branch (.40 S&W)
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Massachusetts State Police (P226 DAK, .40 S&W)
Michigan State Police (.40 S&W, DAK)
National Park Service Law Enforcement
United States Navy SEALs (P226 Navy under the designation of Mk 24 Mod 0)
Ohio State Highway Patrol (.40 S&W)
Oklahoma Highway Patrol (.357 SIG)
Rhode Island State Police (P226 DAK, .357 SIG)
San Francisco Police Department (.40 S&W)
Texas Highway Patrol (.357 SIG DAK)
Texas Rangers
Virginia State Police (P229 .357 SIG)
New York City Police Department - NYPD (P226 9mm)
Sacramento Police Department (P226 9mm or .40S&W)
Sacramento County Sheriff's Department (P226 9mm or .40S&W)
Venezuela
Fuerza Armada Nacional

Last edited:
Users of the P226:

and me [smile]

Seriously, there's this wonderful conjunction: "and" It's very useful, especially when deciding between two guns or two breakfast entrees. (i.e. 'should I have the pancakes or the eggs?' 'Bacon or sausage?' All of these questions can be solved with 'and'.)

Unless the P226 doesn't fit you or shoot well for YOU, keep it - especially if it's an older carbon slide model.

No, not a good idea, listen to these other people and keep the Sig if you can and buy the M&P separately if possible. My brother owns a P229, I own an M&P- I love shooting both of them but the Sig is an altogether different and higher class gun IMO and I actually enjoy shooting his gun better than my own (and there are days when he enjoys shooting mine better). I think if you got rid of the Sig you would regret it.

No one here can tell you if it's a good idea or not - you're the only one who knows what gun works for you.

Find someone here who has one and ask if you can shoot it(you provide ammo of course!). Ask them to bring all three backstraps btw.

I have a p220 which I like alot. It's very accurarte. I've also shot the 226 and it's also very nice and cheaper to shoot. I recently had the opportunity to shoot a .45 M&P with a very good trigger. The work was done by the dept. armorer who owns the gun. It was a very nice shooting gun.

Back
Top Bottom