• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SIG P226 Fiber Optic Sights?

I have a Sig P226 .40 S&W. Sounds kind of stupid but I wear contact lenses and when I'm at the range all the breeze from the ventilation dries them out wicked and makes it hard to focus on my front sight. I'm thinking that it would be helpful to have something brighter. When I went to a training course at Sig Academy one of the instructors had a fiber optic green sight as his front site and swore by it. I didn't think to ask where he got it, or how to install something like that. Any one have one of these and care to make a recommendation on what brands are good and how to have them installed? Thanks!

Have you tried Brownells? They have fiber optic sights for many handguns. You need to find out the width and angle that the Sig uses. The sight can be changed with a hammer and punch or a sight pusher.

I haven't set my sights on a sight yet...pardon the pun. I got a private message from a gunsmith down in Mansfield that I might check out. Price sounds good. I'll keep you guys posted.

Also, checked out Brownells...I'm just concerned about putting anything on myself. Sig voids the warranty if it isn't done by a Sig armorer.

I want to do the same front site and also an adjustable rear site. I did replace the front site on my Kimber team match 1911 and like the new one a lot better. I Don't like the normal site picture you need with the sig. Let me know how you make out.

Do Hiviz sights work well in low light conditions? I experienced Hiviz sights in a shop and was really impressed. I'm just a little concerned about getting rid of the sig night sights.

Do Hiviz sights work well in low light conditions? I experienced Hiviz sights in a shop and was really impressed. I'm just a little concerned about getting rid of the sig night sights.

I've got the HI-Viz on my S&W 617 revolver. They work great in good light and marginally with the lighting at my indoor range. If it was a defensive carry gun, they would be useless at night unlike the nite-light sights. I would only put them on a range gun for that reason.

Last edited:
I saw recently that Tru-Glo has come out with sights that are both tritium (for night use) and fiber optic (for use in good lighting). The ones I saw were at the Cabela's web sight but Cabela's, IIRC, only carried these sights to fit Glocks. Seems like a great sight to use if you can get your hands on one. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...240612&cm_ite=0031487227376a&_requestid=99033

I read the reviews and it looks like they sell a P226 set as well. Man, I'd love to get those.

Thanks for the feedback. I am concerned about losing the night sights. There is a guy down in Mansfield who does them for $52 but I'm not sure if they are the ones you speak of with both night and fiber optics. I will check in with him and see. His name is Greg Derr (derrprecision.com).

So I've decided to hold off for now until I can go to a shop and look at a few different options. My biggest concern is losing the ability to use the sights when it's dark. Given the concerns mentioned by a few folks, I think I need to shoot with a fiber optic on in a darker environment to get a feel for it.

I also need to get the mag release swapped to the other side because I'm a lefty and I want to have a short trigger and a short reset done. Those things probably take priority over having the sights swapped out. Speaking of which, anyone know a Sig armorer around the Merrimack Valley? I don't really want to go to the factory unless I have to - Sig Sauer ist sehr teuer (very expensive).

BTW, Tru-Glo does make the tritium-fiber optic sights to fit the Sigs. I saw them today when I was Googling around. I should have saved the page, sorry. I'm sticking with my night sights for a while. Maybe when these get dim I'll try the Tru-Glo.

Man, I really want to try this TruGlo sites on one of my sigs. If someone on the thread finally gets some, we'll have to get to together to check them out.

I will definitely let you know fellow Doug. I might make a trip to Bass Pro soon down in Foxborough. They are rumored to carry the TruGlo's.

Back
Top Bottom