• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig p226 9mm broken recoil spring

I have never had a problem but never went that far on the same spring in a SIG. SIG recommends spring replacements at certain intervals and 3500 rounds is most likely over the recommended limit. I have had springs lose tension, but never break.

I have never had a problem but never went that far on the same spring in a SIG. SIG recommends spring replacements at certain intervals and 3500 rounds is most likely over the recommended limit. I have had springs lose tension, but never break.

If I remember my Sig armorer's class correctly it's 5000 rounds as a preventative maintenance measure. It's pretty rare to see one break before that but it does happen.

I did some research on recoil springs and found that SIG does indeed expect their 226 recoil springs to last 5000 rounds, but in the past they recommended replacement at 3000 rounds. I would follow the 3000 round recommendation. These springs are cheap, about $7.00 from Wolff, so there is not much $ involved. The recoil spring operates the slide, but also cushions slide to frame impact; a new spring is cheap insurance for your expensive toy.

Based on my experience, I would agree with Gammon. I bought the parts kit from Sig ($26 + S+H). Any thoughts on whether the other springs should also be replaced?

I have not had any issues with the springs in any of my Sigs, but bought replacements for all of them so that when they go I will have a spare handy.

I have about 5000 through my p226 .40 and its still going strong. Going to rebuild it soon springs, barrel ect might even have sig in NH rebuild it.

I have about 5000 through my p226 .40 and its still going strong. Going to rebuild it soon springs, barrel ect might even have sig in NH rebuild it.

There's really no need for a major rebuild at such a low round count. The recoil spring is the only one that really takes any abuse, all the others will pretty much last forever. The barrel will also last a lot longer than 5000.

I'd just swap the recoil spring, give it a good cleaning, and go shoot another 5000 rounds.

I generally change all my recoil springs at 5,000 rounds on all my semi-autos at @5,000 rounds regardless of brand. The fact that your failed at 3,000 is really no big issue. Anything mechanical can and will fail with regard to an individual part, this is a bit premature, but this is true from potato peelers to jet aircraft. Since recoil springs don't cost a lot of money and are easily replaced, keep several on hand. Sig makes a big issue about all spring replacement anyway as part of their preventive maintenance.

Last edited:
IMO the spring failed abnormally early for a Sig P series... but it's easier to not fuss about it and just replace the thing and move on with life.

-Mike

A pistol with only 5000 rounds or so doesn't need a rebuild, just some spring replacements. Your barrel will probably go 100,000 rounds or more. Save your money.

I would recommend replacing the firing pin spring but only after 20k - 30k rounds and then only as a precaution. Wolff includes these in many of their recoil spring replacement kits. This is no big worry.

+1 on Wolff springs, I use them on all my Sigs and replace the firing pin spring at the same time. Obviously it's overkill but they include it with the recoil spring so why not.

+1 on Wolff springs, I use them on all my Sigs and replace the firing pin spring at the same time. Obviously it's overkill but they include it with the recoil spring so why not.

Because to get to it you need to remove the breech block and Sig recommends not doing that unless absolutely necessary.

Back
Top Bottom