Sig MCX - sexy and Boston AWB friendly. Thoughts?

jho

Got to hold one of these today

0b0bfbb76208e7adbd2d94b1e8612afb.jpg

Can be swapped out between 7.62x39 and .223/5.56

Pinned collapsible stock and welded muzzle break makes this MA AWB friendly and you really can't call it an AR since it has a different bolt/recoil spring design so it should be Boston AWB compliant.

Yeah it's salty at $1600ish but it's a refreshingly new design on a intermediate range rifle that isn't a SCAR or Tavor.

Has anyone shot one of these yet? Any opinions before I throw my money away on one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks very nice.

Can you change the stock? Its sexy and all, but these kinds of stocks are not conducive to a good cheek weld.

Don

p.s. Is there a "list" for banned boston AWBs? Could you have a Massified SCAR in Boston?

I was up at Sig a few weeks ago for a class, and they brought us through the pro shop before breaking for lunch. They claim that some SF units have started fielding this thing. They let us handle it, and while it was pretty light I found the cheek weld to be kind of awkward.

Hmmm $1600, but for why so much.
Maybe I don't have the right glasses but looks like any other piston AR?
Where is the innovation?

As for cheak weld....Cleary this is more designed for spray and pray close up action.
Sorry I don't see $1600 there unless the ability to swap from x39 556 requires no tools and comes with both barrels and magazines.

I think it's intended to be used with 300BLK much more than 7.62x39. They do make 7.62 mags that fit in an AR mag well, but they are wierd and I've heard their reliability is spotty.

It's is.....actually it was conceived to be 300 with a short barrel and suppressed and still give minute of man accuracy out to 300 meters. It also will run on subsonic loads.
It also has some added "steel" inserts on the upper receive on high wear areas....
I do like the barrel change out idea. I would rather switch from short suppressed to maybe more of a "accurate" barrel set up.

I would be more impressed if they said "hey here is what makes this rifle so much better than your average AR and guess what....it's,only 900$!!!!

Last edited:
Where is the innovation?

As for cheak weld....Cleary this is more designed for spray and pray close up action.
Sorry I don't see $1600 there unless the ability to swap from x39 556 requires no tools and comes with both barrels and magazines.

http://youtu.be/9-ebw367mMw

Requires a torx. Not sure what barrels come with it.

Where is the innovation?

The recoil system is different . Parts that wear out on the upper are replaceable . It's basically the biggest improvement on the ar15/m16 platform since there realized you have to lube them.

I don't get the hate. Its made by a very reputable company. It's similar to a scar16 (in the fact that you now have folding rear stock capability and retains most of the AR ergos) and almost a $1000 cheaper. I do agree the stock looks like it wouldn't be that comfortable, but it does look light.

I don't get the hate either.

A high quality piston AR from a Tier 1 maker is $1500 - $2000 any day of the week.

The stock is prioritized towards close in work. The fact that it folds is nice. It also beans the
mainspring is above the barrel, probably wrapped around the Op Rod. Smart.
This also gets the SPROING out of your ear.

I like it. Am I going to sell my SCAR 16 to fund one of these? No. But I like it.

Although I'd hold out for a SBR in .300 blk. But that's just me.

A high quality piston AR from a Tier 1 maker is $1500 - $2000 any day of the week.

The stock is prioritized towards close in work. The fact that it folds is nice. It also beans the

I like it. Am I going to sell my SCAR 16 to fund one of these? No. But I like it.

It's setup like a ar180 . Dual recoil spring short stroke piston . I believe the barrel extension is the same as the ar15 so having barrels made isn't that hard.

Scar is more like a ar and ak had baby . Long stroke muti lug .

I am not a rifle guy only because it's hard to get out to the outdoor range during the day, but doesn't the spring being in line with the piston eliminate carrier tilt? That's a huge improvement over a gun that was basically just retrofitted with a piston.

I'm moving to Boston and the biggest drawback is trying to stay good with Boston AWB. ARs, AKs, and FN FALs have been banned but the list hadn't been updated since the 80s so ACRs and SCARs aren't on the list. Those are very expensive rifles though. The MCX is very AR like but the guts are proprietary with exception to the lower. My assumption is that this is different enough from an AR to not get jammed up on Boston AWB.

Oh yeah I believe you can get these In an SBR variant.

If I were moving to Boston with banned guns, I'd figure out what the punishment is for possessing firearms that would be legal in the rest of MA with the LTC-A that I held.

Then I'd decide from there. That or I'd simply loan them to someone out of Boston.

- - - Updated - - -

Can any of the MA law knowledgeable folks comment on the status of pre-emption in MA.

Don

Part of the problem is I don't think anyone has ever been prosecuted for violating that stupid Boston ban that mostly gets ignored anyways. So it's difficult to research application of the law.

Part of the problem is I don't think anyone has ever been prosecuted for violating that stupid Boston ban that mostly gets ignored anyways. So it's difficult to research application of the law.

It's a tough call. I can buy both an AR and AK for the price of a Sig MCX. In the other hand I wouldn't want to be the test dummy.

I am not a rifle guy only because it's hard to get out to the outdoor range during the day, but doesn't the spring being in line with the piston eliminate carrier tilt? That's a huge improvement over a gun that was basically just retrofitted with a piston.

I'm moving to Boston and the biggest drawback is trying to stay good with Boston AWB. ARs, AKs, and FN FALs have been banned but the list hadn't been updated since the 80s so ACRs and SCARs aren't on the list. Those are very expensive rifles though. The MCX is very AR like but the guts are proprietary with exception to the lower. My assumption is that this is different enough from an AR to not get jammed up on Boston AWB.

Oh yeah I believe you can get these In an SBR variant.

It is certainly not an AR-15. Nor is it a 55X series which I believe are also named in the Boston ban.
IANL but I would say you're good to go with this one provided you disable the folding stock and replace/pin the muzzle device.

It is certainly not an AR-15. Nor is it a 55X series which I believe are also named in the Boston ban.
IANL but I would say you're good to go with this one provided you disable the folding stock and replace/pin the muzzle device.

Found one in a LGS with the work done already. It sure is a lightweight rife!

Edit:

(1) "Assault weapon", all rifles and shotguns designated as assault weapons in this section and all other semi-automatic rifles and shotguns which are determined by the assault weapon roster board, established under the provisions of section five, to be assault weapons. Such term shall include, in addition to any other rifles and shotguns identified by said board, all versions of the following, including rifles and shotguns sold under the designation provided in this section and rifles and shotguns which are substantially identical thereto sold under any designation:-

(a) Avtomat Kalishnikov, also known as AK-47 semi-automatic rifles;
(b) Uzi semi-automatic rifles;
(c) AR-15 semi-automatic rifles;
(d) FN-FAL and FN-FNC semi-automatic rifles;
(e) Steyr Aug semi-automatic rifles;
(f) SKS semi-automatic rifles;
(g) shotguns with revolving cylinders known as the Street Sweeper and the Striker 12;
(h) any other semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding ten rounds;
(i) any other shotgun with a fixed magazine, cylinder, drum or tube capacity exceeding six rounds; and
09 any semi-automatic firearm which is a modification of a rifle or shotgun described in this subsection; that is, having the same make, caliber, and action design but a shorter barrel or no rear stock.

Last edited:
If I were moving to Boston with banned guns, I'd figure out what the punishment is for possessing firearms that would be legal in the rest of MA with the LTC-A that I held.

Then I'd decide from there. That or I'd simply loan them to someone out of Boston.

- - - Updated - - -

Can any of the MA law knowledgeable folks comment on the status of pre-emption in MA.

Don

Or you can wait and move right after renewing your LTC. You won't have to worry for a few years.

Back
Top Bottom