• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SIG Handgun 101

MaverickNH

NES Member
I took my wife and eldest child (28) to SIG for Handgun 101 on Saturday 11Mar2023. We had 9 in the class (1 no-show) all from NH, so felt free to talk trash about MA, NY, CT & RI. Having accompanied new shooters to this class twice already, this the the most capable group yet. In both other classes, they had to up the instructors from 2 to 4 to help struggling students, with one police chief's wife exited gracefully as she reacted poorly to the sound of gunfire. Everyone was safe and pretty confident by lunch.

After classroom safety and gun anatomy/function for 2hr, they set P320's on a table with a box on 50rd 9mm at 3yd and progressively shot 1rd, 2rd, 3rd, 4rd, working on sighting, grip, stance, etc. They swapped the iron-sight slides for red-dot optics mounted slides at lunch and did it all again. Then finished with 10rd of fun on steel with frangible ammo.

They did a 30min section on gun laws at the end. They got a lot wrong but always in one direction - errors were on the conservative side rather than the side that would get you in trouble. As in, suggesting all F2F in-state transfers require an FFL in NH and that PRLs are technically not required for CCW in NH but reciprocity, LEO expectations, blah, blah...I didn't interrupt. Nobody will get into trouble following their advice until they learn otherwise. To be fair, they said IANAL and everyone should check USCCA for current and accurate laws.

I had taken my eldest shooting a few times when young and my wife had done a 1-day with a local SoNH instructor she felt was an arrogant, condescending *sshole, and gave her a sour feeling about guns and gun people. The SIG class made that all better. Prices are way up - $190 for the HG101 and $310/day for others. Unaffordable now that I've retired...but there are alternatives.

And the best part - they have now electronic earmuffs for everyone that somehow do not pick up the sound of the air filtration system. You can easily hear what the instructors are saying. I wish I would have looked at the brand/model…

Back
Top Bottom