SIG AR15

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
Going to be getting into an AR soon and doing some research and asking a lot of questions. I'm an AK guy first but want an AR, money isn't an issue so looking to find out if Sig makes a good rifle, I was looking at a few at Kittery trading post and they looked real nice, are they reliable? I won't buy at Kittery but they did catch my eye and a buddy of mine likes them. I want a good quality rifle to range shoot a lot, it won't be my SHTF rifle but I'm not going to baby it either. Again money isn't an issue however I don't want to throw money at a name just for the name when I can get pretty much the same quality with something serviceable and reliable with quality to match. Thank you

If money is no object, swing by North East Arms on route one in Peabody. Those guys will hook you up with a high end AR. They should have plenty on display.

I'm a sig M400 armorer and they are solid rifles, if you desire a piston system the 516 will eat any ammo, run cooler and cleaner. Over all there very good guns. Best of luck

Going to be getting into an AR soon and doing some research and asking a lot of questions. I'm an AK guy first but want an AR, money isn't an issue so looking to find out if Sig makes a good rifle, I was looking at a few at Kittery trading post and they looked real nice, are they reliable? I won't buy at Kittery but they did catch my eye and a buddy of mine likes them. I want a good quality rifle to range shoot a lot, it won't be my SHTF rifle but I'm not going to baby it either. Again money isn't an issue however I don't want to throw money at a name just for the name when I can get pretty much the same quality with something serviceable and reliable with quality to match. Thank you

Sig makes conventional Direct Impingement ARs like the M400, and also piston guns. I'd stick to DI for your first AR. The consensus on forums is they're solid but not quite on the level of Colt, BCM, LMT or Daniel Defense.

On the North Shore your best bet is to go to NE Arms. If your budget is around $1000, for the price of a Sig M400, you could have NE Arms build you a custom Colt, with you picking the furniture - stock, handguard etc. I'd take that over the Sig. BCM is the way to go if you want to do everything online - order a complete upper and lower and mate them together. More options for handguards, free-floating rails, different barrel types etc that way.

The other options, DD or LMT will cost you more like $1500 and up.

I took a rifle class from a guy who had a Sig AR, in 308. It choked and malfunctioned a lot in one day.

My buddy had a 5.56 Sig piston rifle that gave him nothing but problems, cycling and extraction issues. The place he bought it from told him to run hotter ammo, but it didn't work out for him. He dumped it for a POF.

I took a rifle class from a guy who had a Sig AR, in 308. It choked and malfunctioned a lot in one day.

My buddy had a 5.56 Sig piston rifle that gave him nothing but problems, cycling and extraction issues. The place he bought it from told him to run hotter ammo, but it didn't work out for him. He dumped it for a POF.

I've heard these kinds of stories about Sig rifles, that and the relatively high prices for what you get kind of scares me off them.

- - - Updated - - -

If your going piston then go for broke. the HK MR556 is top notch hands down.

I love HK's but I'd rather have LMT's piston MRP, and it's cheaper too.

I hace a friend who has both a Sig and a POF piston. He likes the POF better. I have the same POF and a PWS piston gun and I like the PWS better. So all things being equal PWS>POF>SIG. So what makes one better than the other. POF is ambidextrous lower, has a very good single stage trigger and arguably has better parts than the SIG. The POF is lighter and not as front heavy as the POF and does not have the odd cheek weld that the POF has (POF's tend to result in a very high cheek weld - almost chin on stock). So I would definitely try out a POF before you buy if you are interested.

LWRC also has the reputation for making a great piston gun, but I have no personal experience with one.

Also, as others have pointed out, for what you would pay for a good piston gun you can get a very nice DI gun. Colt, LMT, BMC, LaRue, DD, all would be excellent choices., Ultimately, what is your top priority? Reliability? All will be reliable. Accuracy? LaRue would probably be your best bet. Or you could go with Noveske, or GAP. Value? I'd go with Colt or BMC.

Last edited:
Nice, my buddy is recommending the piston AR, only thing I've been told is its less accurate than gas system AR's?

This is another piston hater Myth. Id put up an LWRC to any comparably priced DI AR any day, especially against a cheaper BCM or Colt. LWRC's are very high quality and accurate guns.

And for the intended purpose i wouldn't worry about accuracy, if u want that, by a bolt gun.

Last edited:
I have a Sig516 Patrol. I mostly shoot M855 5.56 NATO through it and it's never had a ftf or fte. It's a real nice gun for me but ymmv. I've never shot .223 through it but I'm told it feeds fine after it's been broken in with 5.56 for a few hundred rounds first.

I think if i was gonna go with a Sig rifle it would be something like this, minus the optics. :)

mysig556sbropen.jpg

KAC is another brand that is supposed to really high quality, but it seems like their stuff is impossible to find?

I have a 14.5 noveske and a 10.5 DD - both have worked well for me. I owned a sig (piston) when they first came out - it was ok - felt a little cheaply made, but for <1k not a bad deal.

KAC is another brand that is supposed to really high quality, but it seems like their stuff is impossible to find?

I have a 14.5 noveske and a 10.5 DD - both have worked well for me. I owned a sig (piston) when they first came out - it was ok - felt a little cheaply made, but for <1k not a bad deal.

KAC is out there, just harder to find. I love mine. Comparable in quality to my Noveske. 2 of the best out there.

Piston AR's are a solution in search of a problem. I wouldnt say no to one, I wouldnt go out of my way to find one.

Piston AR's are a solution in search of a problem. I wouldnt say no to one, I wouldnt go out of my way to find one.

I think it's safe to say pistons are here for the duration, with more benefits than problems, they aren't searching for anything, they have their place.

I think it's safe to say pistons are here for the duration, with more benefits than problems, they aren't searching for anything, they have their place.

Ive owned 3. Sold 3. Cant think of any benefits over a regular DI system. Found plenty of drawbacks though.

The one quoted in this thread as being "hands down the best" was actually a gigantic, heavy pain in the ass. And that was just with ~10,000 rounds on it.

KAC is out there, just harder to find. I love mine. Comparable in quality to my Noveske. 2 of the best out there.

Ya, I found one KAC upper and it was like $1,900 :( Kinda feel like I'm losing some of the benefit since it would go on my registered lower (SBR( , so it wouldn't even be an all KAC rifle.

In terms of pistons, I'd like to try one for an ultra short SBR - like the Adams Arms 7.5.

Ive owned 3. Sold 3. Cant think of any benefits over a regular DI system. Found plenty of drawbacks though.

The one quoted in this thread as being "hands down the best" was actually a gigantic, heavy pain in the ass. And that was just with ~10,000 rounds on it.

That's ur opinion, plenty of people own them and love them, they are here to stay, they have their place. I can't see why I wouldn't own one, the DI offers no more benefits than my piston guns other than having to clean my colt more often. Frankly I grab my lwrc before my colt. If I'm going to spend 2k+ on a new rifle I'm going piston, I can get the same out of a noveske as BCM or Daniel defense, it just doesn't say November on it.

Depends what brand u buy, I stick with lwrc, they are only ounces heavier than a comparable DI gun. And I can assure u ur HK will last longer without issues.

Last edited:
That's ur opinion, plenty of people own them and love them, they are here to stay, they have their place. I can't see why I wouldn't own one, the DI offers no more benefits than my piston guns other than having to clean my colt more often. Frankly I grab my lwrc before my colt. If I'm going to spend 2k+ on a new rifle I'm going piston, I can get the same out of a noveske as BCM or Daniel defense, it just doesn't say November on it.

Depends what brand u buy, I stick with lwrc, they are only ounces heavier than a comparable DI gun. And I can assure u ur HK will last longer without issues.

It's hard to find anyone that has anything bad to say about LWRC, the obvious downside is cost (and weight).

In terms of HK, I'd buy a 416 in a minute, but instead all I can buy is a MR556 without the chrome barrel, with the heavy barrel profile, no 10.5 etc, etc - makes me hate HK so much. Super expensive rifle that is dumbed down for mere civilians.

It's hard to find anyone that has anything bad to say about LWRC, the obvious downside is cost (and weight).

I saw people on m4carbine.net saying LWRC doesn't have any combat vets advising their development team - dunno if that's true, just what I read. They seem a bit overpriced to me, though their designs are very sharp looking.

In terms of HK, I'd buy a 416 in a minute, but instead all I can buy is a MR556 without the chrome barrel, with the heavy barrel profile, no 10.5 etc, etc - makes me hate HK so much. Super expensive rifle that is dumbed down for mere civilians.

Bingo.

The weight is negligible, comparing my spr to my 6920, with the spiral fluted heavy barrel that shaves off a ton of weight. My other lwrc is an 8" with a heavy barrel, it heavy as hell, bUT that due to the barrel. The piston parts alone probably weigh less than 8 ounces, the other heavy piece on my 8"is thr rail, lwrc rails are heavy as hell, same with my spr, they make heavy duty quality parts built to last. So I don't know why people always complain about weight with pistons. They may want to look at the barrel profile first, these days people are sporting pencil barrels, when all things are equal, then compare.

Now cost is the same as a noveske, larue or a knights and even an lMt and pof. It's up there with the other quality DI guns

Hk isn't so great .
read the post from the Las Vegas gun range . They had better luck with a knock off hk upper then with the real hk .

I own a piston upper and a standard upper .

For shtf I'm going with a di upper if I grab a ar15.

I would rather my ar15 turn into a straight pull bolt action .
then have the piston bent and stuck in the rear or mushroom the striking surface. Causing the gun to not be able to fire .

Worse case with a di gun you have to hand cycle it . Worse case with a piston ar15 your stuck with a club.

The number one problem with a ar15 piston gun is the Max width of the piston rod.

Back
Top Bottom