Sig announces P365-380

I had heard rumors of this at least 6 months ago, it's now announced on their homepage. I compared the size of the 365 to the Glock 42 on HandgunHero and they're almost identical. I'm thinking the biggest difference might be that the Sig holds 10 rounds. I guess I'll wait until I hear some first hand reports before I get one. (No 380 bashing, I'm a woman with a messed up right hand)
www.handgunhero.com

All development on 380 stopped. with the new 30 out, it just doesn't make sense to spend money on making and marketing a 380. The most prudent thing for SIG to do is to wait and see how this Super 30 plays out. There is no rush. There is no 365 beater out there. Springfield Armory, S&W, Glock: they've all come up short.

All development on 380 stopped. with the new 30 out, it just doesn't make sense to spend money on making and marketing a 380. The most prudent thing for SIG to do is to wait and see how this Super 30 plays out. There is no rush. There is no 365 beater out there. Springfield Armory, S&W, Glock: they've all come up short.
First, the super carry whatever 30 is brand new. Have fun finding ammo and guns. Because it is a SW caliber it has a high probability of eventually becoming mainstream. I doubt the 30 will destroy the market before SIG can get their investment back and make a profit. SIG will flood the stores with this gun.

Second, development starts years in advance, if they are announcing this now, they started working on over a year ago.

Third, people are familiar with 380, there are more ammo manufacturers, more availability, more guns. Not everyone wants to own 17 different calibers.

Tell that to the email I got this morning from Sig trying to sell me on a 365 .380

I'll stick with my Browning 1911-380

browning-black-label-1911-380-medallion-pro-full-size-f.jpg

Tell that to the email I got this morning from Sig trying to sell me on a 365 .380
SIG has been parading 380-barelled 365 since 2016. I suppose 5 years of "research and development" needs to be recouped somehow.

Just think about this: gun makers used to think that if you wanted a micro-compact, you had to limit capacity and/or drop-down to 380ACP. SIG changed that by releasing a 9mm micro 365 with 10-12 round mag and blew away everyone! They proved to the world that you can have a concealable 9mm that can take ten rounds mags of 9mm and still have decent recoil. This is their victory laurel! Why would they bother to go down to 380!?

380ACP is the same diameter as 9mm but shorter. Shorter is good but it's not the dimension that limits magazine capacity. This is why Super 30 is better on paper: just by switching the barrel one can gain 2-3 round capacity. Imagine a micro-compact being capable of carrying 15-17 rounds without mag extensions. That would sell everywhere(except MA).

I wish 380 is the caliber that the civilian handgun market would have adopted instead of 9/40/45. It is a great cartridge. Alas, the industry and people for some odd reason assumed that the only reason to have a 380 is to conceal carry a tiny little compact so the only guns you can have in 380 kick like a mule!

Last edited:
SIG has been parading 380-barelled 365 since 2016. I suppose 5 years of "research and development" needs to be recouped somehow.

Just think about this: gun makers used to think that if you wanted a micro-compact, you had to limit capacity and/or drop-down to 380ACP. SIG changed that by releasing a 9mm micro 365 with 10-12 round mag and blew away everyone! They proved to the world that you can have a concealable 9mm that can take ten rounds mags of 9mm and still have decent recoil. This is their victory laurel! Why would they bother to go down to 380!?

380ACP is the same diameter as 9mm but shorter. Shorter is good but it's not the dimension that limits magazine capacity. This is why Super 30 is better on paper: just by switching the barrel one can gain 2-3 round capacity. Imagine a micro-compact being capable of carrying 15-17 rounds without mag extensions. That would sell everywhere(except MA).

I wish 380 is the caliber that the civilian handgun market would have adopted instead of 9/40/45. It is a great cartridge. Alas, the industry and people for some odd reason assumed that the only reason to have a 380 is to conceal carry a tiny little compact so the only guns you can have in 380 kick like a mule!
Why don't you call SIG and ask them?

Their business seems to be doing pretty good with the 365.

Did you do some market research to understand the size of the 380 market?

Stupid question, but couldn't you just change out the barrel in a regular P365?
Not a stupid question - someone asked that on the Sig site, and the answer is yes!
".....the P365 models chambered in 9mm, can be converted to .380 with the slide, barrel, recoil spring assembly, and magazines"

Why don't you call SIG and ask them?

Their business seems to be doing pretty good with the 365.

Did you do some market research to understand the size of the 380 market?
Call SIG about what? Just go hang out on SIG forum! There's been plenty of talk over the years.

I agree about their 365. It was my point: what is a reason for having a 380cal 365 when 365 in 9mm sells like hotcakes for the past 5 years! Heck, even I switch to it(from G43)!

The size of the 380 market is shrinking ever since the new generation of 9mm micro-compacts like 365, Hellcat came out. Heck, even women are no longer buying into this "380 is for ladies" crap! Who wants to deal with constant ammo shortage(if you own 380, ammo shortage is a permanent condition) for almost no benefit!? In 2021, I have trained 5 new shooters that are women. ALL five tried 380 and all 5 hated it. Four of them ended up buying their own guns: a Beretta 92 Centurion, a Glock 19, and two VP9's.

I suspect 380 is still alive is because old men are who's running marketing at these companies.

What I don't understand is WTF these macho men who can't stand the mere existence of .380, can't help but jump on a thread that is about .380 and insist on belittling the caliber and anyone who shoots it. And of course, they also know way more than the people who run the gun companies - I'm sorry, what is it you do for a living? Not everyone is a young, able-bodied man, and I shouldn't have to defend my choice of caliber to anyone - especially keyboard commandos who probably live in their mother's basement. This forum is for anyone who likes to shoot.

Did you not read the last sentence in my initial posting? "(No 380 bashing, I'm a woman with a messed up right hand)"

Did you not read the last sentence in my initial posting? "(No 380 bashing, I'm a woman with a messed up right hand)"
Didn't I point you to the actual SIG page on the new 365-380 and the price!?
Also, if you have a messed-up right hand, 380 recoil is going to suck. oh, and racking the slide is going to suck too.

There is a reason why Walther can't make enough of those P22's: those guns are amazing. load them up with some 22 Stangers: watch out! Just sayin'

P.S. My "machismo" has very little to do with the popularity of 380. Personally, I like the caliber. Heck, I might even get the new SIG 365-380 myself if it's as good as the original! That said, there is currently nothing good in that caliber that's worth having.

If they’re using the same frame as the 9mm version, which is likely, you can also swap out that frame for the xl frame. I don’t know if that will help with any hand issues you have, though. The xl frame handgrip is a little bit longer and for most people their pinky won’t hang off the bottom with a flush mag. I found that to be more comfortable to shoot with the added grip length. I never found the pinky extended mags to be very comfortable as they don’t add any length to the rear of the grip, and that little bit in back makes for a more secure grip (for me anyway). The only issue is that you would need new magazines or extension kits for your existing mags to be long enough to engage in the xl frame. I don’t know if they’re offering the xl mags in 380, or the extension kits for those mags yet, but you can call Sig in nh or go there. They tend to be pretty helpful.

You really have no idea how research, development, and marketing work do you?

The super wonder awesomer 30 (🙄) was released like 3 weeks ago. Development on what is being introduced now started over a year ago maybe even longer.

Additionally sig isn't going to put development of 380acp handguns on hold to see how the super carry (god....I can't even stand typing that 🙄) does in the market. The 380 isn't going to die.

Last edited:
Didn't I point you to the actual SIG page on the new 365-380 and the price!?
Also, if you have a messed-up right hand, 380 recoil is going to suck. oh, and racking the slide is going to suck too.

There is a reason why Walther can't make enough of those P22's: those guns are amazing. load them up with some 22 Stangers: watch out! Just sayin'

P.S. My "machismo" has very little to do with the popularity of 380. Personally, I like the caliber. Heck, I might even get the new SIG 365-380 myself if it's as good as the original! That said, there is currently nothing good in that caliber that's worth having.
First you talk crap how SIG runs their business.
Then you tell the OP to carry a .22?

[rofl]

Made the mistake of getting into all sorts of calibers many years ago (hello 40), not gonna compound that problem with 380 now.

Got my wife a P365 a year or two ago. Yeah they hold more rounds which is great, but my Kahr PM9 and P380 are more solidly built, much less snappy, and more accurate IMHO. Easy enough to carry an extra mag or two. Though some people hate the long pull triggers, on free state versions like mine they are great for those who hate safeties.

Got my wife a P365 a year or two ago. Yeah they hold more rounds which is great, but my Kahr PM9 and P380 are more solidly built, much less snappy, and more accurate IMHO. Easy enough to carry an extra mag or two. Though some people hate the long pull triggers, on free state versions like mine they are great for those who hate safeties.

I love my pm9, but I hate not being able to get a pinky on it. I've been eyeing a 365 for summer carry - can you get a full grip with the 10-rounder?

What I don't understand is WTF these macho men who can't stand the mere existence of .380, can't help but jump on a thread that is about .380 and insist on belittling the caliber and anyone who shoots it. And of course, they also know way more than the people who run the gun companies - I'm sorry, what is it you do for a living? Not everyone is a young, able-bodied man, and I shouldn't have to defend my choice of caliber to anyone - especially keyboard commandos who probably live in their mother's basement. This forum is for anyone who likes to shoot.

These are all the same people who claim that all the latest advancements in 9mm bullets over the years has made it the king and the 40 and 45 are obsolete.
It would stand to reason most of these same advancements would also apply to the 380 caliber as well.
There is a time and a place for everything. I seriously doubt I'd go dog sledding in Alaska with a 380, but I'd have no problem heading into the city in summertime with one.

Lol there's not even any certainty others will adopt smiths retard 30 experiment. Most of those gimmick cartridges fail miserably in the market. .. 32 NAA, 327 fed mag, 32 H&R, 45 GAP, etc...

A 380 is less retarded than taking a winger on near wildcats that nobody buys.

Back
Top Bottom