• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig Academy in NH

Hello all,

I received a very nice present from Santa yesterday...A loaded up gift card for the Sig Academy! I have never been and I have a few questions.
Do they still have defensive rifle? ( saw no future dates on website)
Do they make u go through entry level courses first? (I am a former infantryman in the Corps and that would be a waste of time and money on the precious gift card)

Any info would be great, I have read reviews from previous years on this course. Also, if there are better courses than this please feel free to let me know. Happy New Year!!!

Congratulations on a great gift! I have been to several classes and they are addictive like potato chips, "you cant stop at 1". I felt I did not need the basic classes, so I started at the "102" classes . If you want something that will really humble you, take the CAPS course, but take a couple of 102 or 103 courses first so you get comfortable with the training protocol. Some courses are just scheduled when they have instructors for them, they are alway changing. This time of year is good for pistol as you are inside, rifle better in the spring/summer. If you are outside, you can bring your own ammo, if on the inside range, you have to use frangible ammo that you can buy there. Have fun and be safe!

Congratulations. I've gotten a few gift cards to the academy as well. Yes they still run Defensive Rifle and Advanced Defensive Rifle. Defensive is like 103, Advanced is like 104. They offer a rifle 102.5(4 hour course) as well. How you seed yourself can be tricky, like mentioned before you may want to take a class to get familiar with their training style.

They have a new indoor 50yd rifle deck they use for the winter classes. I've even taken Defensive Rifle in there. The range is safe for normal FMJ ammo, which is so much cheaper than frangible like you need in the indoor pistol range.

For rifle try the Close Quarter Rifle, that was fun.

Have a great time, I have nothing but good things to say about them.

I think they don't post the outdoor schedule til like February. I'd wait for an outdoor rifle class, cause you'll have Mass clowns like me with loud muzzle brakes on their ARs and you'll go deaf indoors.

One way to get discounts is to sign up your email and they'll send notices of discounted classes coming up in the next couple weeks. Also once you take a class you can get 20% off the next class you sign up for.

When you sign up just mention your Army experience and they'll ok you for Defensive Rifle. I haven't taken that, just took 101 and 102 (which you won't need).

They have defensive rifle posted, I am signed up for the Feb 17-18 weekend one (let me know if you grab the last spot and you want to grab lunch or whatever). I've taken a few courses there, you can't go wrong really.

For defensive rifle, they (apparently) work on rifle to handgun transitions, so they want people comfortable safely working from and back to a holster, thus the suggestion of the Handgun 102.

From a gear perspective, I would have your kit sorted out before arriving. That is, I would recommend having used the stuff they require prior to arriving. Sling, holster, ammo pouches for both handgun and rifle, being zeroed and knowing some basic holdovers, realizing you're going to be potentially kneeling and/or dropping to your knees/face on brass on concrete. I haven't been to this course yet but based on my other courses, I would say hour 2 of a 16 hour class is not where you want to find out something you wish you had known earlier about your gear. Also, every class has people borrowing SIG equipment, and every class it is not 100% reliable, which was surprising to me. I have seen the following on borrowed gear: red dots on rifles fail, charging handles stick horribly (could be the actual action, I wasn't paying attention to the resolution on that one), multiple magazines refuse to seat in both rifles and handguns (i.e. it was the gun, not faulty mags), quick adjust slings that weren't, and I feel like there was more.

Rifle 102.5 is the shooting portion of Rifle 102, FYI. They have verbally advertised it as a way to get back into the swing of things for Defensive Rifle for someone that's been away for a while or wants a refresher.

I'm not sure if there is a chance of them using the lead-free range, but be prepared for a thousand dollar ammo bill if that happens. It seems like they switch ranges around, even last minute so, it's sort of a dice roll. It may be impossible to hold Defensive Rifle in there, not sure, but I'm preparing for a 10% probability of that happening...

The discount for signing up for another class within 15 days after completing a class (signup within 15 days, not the actual class date) is 15%. Furthermore, I found that if you sign up for two classes at once they will give you 15% off as well (from memory, there's a chance it's 10%).

What they will OK you for is really you talking to the people at the front desk and convincing them. Having never tried to talk myself into something personally, I can say that as I've progressed, the thing I notice is not the overall skill level of people, but rather that everyone is much more competent in safe gun handling. 101/102 seemed like going to a public range, 103/104 level was better. The worst offenders are the olds that are just set in their 40-50 years of doing stuff unsafely, I can't even fault them for not being able to untrain that crap in 20 minutes of classroom...

edit: let me know if you have questions about administrative crap as well. Here are some random things I thought of:

If you go during the week you can get a $12 delivered lunch, weekends this is out so bring your own (you can usually pick the instructors brain at lunch) or be prepared to eat local fast food).

I would double up on hearing protection because yeah idiots like me are bringing brakes that you will feel in your soul if you're next to me. Would recommend a pocketable notebook and writing instrument. The literature they hand out never covers the best stuff about the course, you have to remember or write it down. HG104 didn't even have a booklet...

If you're indoors be aware you're going to be standing on concrete for most of the day.

If you're the type of person who would like extra time to not be rushed and maybe even pick your instructor's brain a bit while everyone else is thumbing their ammo into magazines, having your ammo loaded up on stripper clips and bringing a striplula is amazing. ZIPZIPZIP magazine is full...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. I am definitely looking at taking the course in the early summer. I’m on their email list so I think I will wait till that flyer comes out in February. If they have a 20% discount on booking a second course I’m all in!! Gonna call them later on today to confirm and I’ll post it. Thanx again folks, glad to hear that place rocks!

Hi Uwaeve- i am also signed up for defensive rifle presidents day weekend. Im looking forward to it. Really Hoping the class is on the 50 yard indoor rifle range for ammo costs.

Varmint, Sarge is prior Corps, which probably means he only learned to spell “Corps” near graduation. Sarge, just kidding, thank you for your service—friendly banter from prior Army enlisted that got out before I hit your stripes.

Sig Academy training is solid and instructors are excellent. You can definitely start at Defensive. I took it in the cold months on an indoor range, learned a lot and had a ton of fun. I would also have no issue recommending 102.5, first, as obey advised and take the discount on the more expensive course since you will be going again. The indoor range as obey mentioned handles regular 55gr, since it saves the cost and fun of that stuff.

The class composition is good and well monitored by instructors and fellow students . Being (only) prior Army, in each class, there is always someone (or more than one) better than I think I am, but there is nobody there who doesn’t want to learn. As an NCO, I presume you will contribute as well as learn from the class. Regardless, you can’t go wrong. As of late last year, follow-up discounts were at 15%.

Perhaps I’ll see you there.

I took a pistol class ten years ago. Instruction was top notch and the bucks and full weekend were very well spent, a solid investment of both.

The class was a progression, with every exercise leading up to the next step. By the end of the class, everyone was proficient clearing malfunctions one handed, weak side only, on the move. I hope I never need that particular skill, but it's now in my bag of tricks.

I'd love to do the defensive rifle, but I'm no longer fifteen minutes up the road.

I've taken several more than a few courses at Sig. Good training overall. Lose some of that swagger Marine ! I'm retired Army and I took Handgun 102 before any other courses. The reason: there is the Marine way, the Army way and the Sig way ! Learn their methods and protocols. One other thing: I've taken the "Shooting While Moving" course twice about two years apart. The second time the course was totally revamped and taught from a different perspective and used different training methods. Also too, I'd never be so presumptuous to think that I didn't need a review on fundamentals.

Back in 1991 I was down in Ft Rucker, AL attending WOCS and there was a commercial civilian helicopter pilot who was going to take basic flight training just like every other aviator. The reasoning was: "You know how to fly your way, but you don't know how to fly our way.

Never hurts to review and defensive pistolcraft training, concepts and techniques are constantly changing. What may be regarded as conventional wisdom can be superseded by new concepts and techniques.

I did handgun 102,103, and 104 last winter. I was planning on taking more this winter, but have had a hard time fitting it into my schedule. Can't wait to get back over there though. My experience there was A+.

For future readers, the Sig Academy discount structure changed early 2018. The text is currently:

Academy students are eligible for a 20% discount on select firearms in the Pro Shop within 15 days of completing a class. Students are also eligible for a 10% discount on classes when more than one course is selected at a time, or within 90 days of completion of a class - guest instructor courses do not apply. Pro Shop customers can enjoy 10% off classes when they purchase any firearm.

New to SIG Academy is the link as of today.

For future readers, the Sig Academy discount structure changed early 2018. The text is currently:

Academy students are eligible for a 20% discount on select firearms in the Pro Shop within 15 days of completing a class. Students are also eligible for a 10% discount on classes when more than one course is selected at a time, or within 90 days of completion of a class - guest instructor courses do not apply. Pro Shop customers can enjoy 10% off classes when they purchase any firearm.

New to SIG Academy is the link as of today.

You also need to purchase your ammo in advance at the pro shop (if you don’t bring your own.) extra can be returned after class but the ‘honor system’ ammo cart is no more.

Back
Top Bottom