• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig Academy - Choosing a first course

Was looking to do a day course at the Sig Academy. They have a ton of course listed on their site. Ive had no 'real' formal training, however I'm very comfortable with and moderately capable with my carry pistols. I have been shooting for many years and have done a lot of research. Does anyone recommend where to start with sig? I feel the Handguns 101 is far to basic. Also on their website it says not to bring micro pistols to the class.....I usually carry a Sig 938. Does anyone have any experience with their courses that would shed some light on what to expect?

Thank you, I assumed that was the reason, and I have been looking for a mid sized carry pistol as of late. I own a G42 and a Sig938 for carry, both have the same capacity limitations and both are the same size. So I'm sure ill sell one, and find another 10+ capacity carry firearm before attending.

They also will loan you a pistol for the class. (A Sig, of course) You dont need to wait until you have a larger pistol to take a class there if you dont want to. Holsters and mag holsters are provided as well upon request. If the class is indoors, you need to use frangible ammo provided by Sig.

I took handgun 102 as a first pistol class. As long as youre comfortable drawing from a holster and practice basic safety, I would say 102 would be a good starter class for someone that has a bit of experience under their belt.

Class was dry fire exercises, draw and fire, mag changes, ball and dummy, longer range shooting (longer than typical pistol distance anyway)

They also will loan you a pistol for the class. (A Sig, of course) You dont need to wait until you have a larger pistol to take a class there if you dont want to. Holsters and mag holsters are provided as well upon request. If the class is indoors, you need to use frangible ammo provided by Sig.

I took handgun 102 as a first pistol class. As long as youre comfortable drawing from a holster and practice basic safety, I would say 102 would be a good starter class for someone that has a bit of experience under their belt.

Class was dry fire exercises, draw and fire, mag changes, ball and dummy, longer range shooting (longer than typical pistol distance anyway)

Sounds like that may be the class for me then. Wasnt sure if they preferred you did them in ascending numerical order. Might be a good chance to try a new pistol platform as well, as I only have experience with the 938 out of the entire sig family

Sounds like that may be the class for me then. Wasnt sure if they preferred you did them in ascending numerical order. Might be a good chance to try a new pistol platform as well, as I only have experience with the 938 out of the entire sig family

I think some classes may have a requirement of completing a previous class, but 102 just says "strongly recommended...".

Makes sense to do them in order, and they probably wouldnt let someone start off in some advanced class, but as far as this class goes its really pretty basic and 101 seems like a waste of time for someone who has been at it for a while. Imo, 101 sounds like its for someone with little to no experience.

As stated above, they will loan you anything you want to shoot, including holster and mag carrier. I started out with 102 Pistol, and was pretty proficient but I think 102 was a great place to start and get used to SIG teaching. I later went back for 103, 104, rifle 102, and the CAPS is very humbling but GREAT.

Back
Top Bottom