• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig 938 scorpion with threaded barrel?

HarryPottar

NES Member
I think I already know the answer but looking for clarification.

Just got my CT non resident pistol permit, I live in MA and obviously have a MA LTC.

My summer EDC is a Sig 938 Scorpion that as a threaded barrel.

Something caught my eye in another thread and I googled to see that a semi automatic pistol with a threaded barrel is on the AWB.

Therefore I assume I can not carry that into CT even though it is legally registered in MA. Of course it as never been nor will ever be registered in CT as I don't live there.

I guess I need to see if I can find a replacement barrel, at the worst case scenario I have to buy another small EDC, did I say worst case, maybe thats a silver lining.

thanks
harry

Your assumptions are correct. You can not bring a SA pistol with a threaded barrel into CT if it is not registered as a AW in CT.

^^ Correct. And the window for registration has long passed. You also cannot carry a registered AW in AW configuration so it wouldn't have helped much.

I thought so, thank you for the clarification. Will have to bring my pps or G26. The 938 is my favorite carry but unless I can find a deal on barrel it will stay at home. I did enter the NES/Mass Firearms give away, fingers crossed.

thanks for everyone's input.
harry

This is why I registered all of my Glocks and 1911s as AWs.

They were all transferred on a DPS-3 so the state already had them "registered" to me from the time of purchase.

One small note - after PA13-3 was passed, there was a huge uproar from the hard core .22 target shooting community. It seems that many of the olympic style target guns had not one but TWO evil features and were now considered to be AWs. 1) magazine located outside of the pistol grip 2) threaded bbl

[(B)] (iv) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least [two] one of the following:

[(i)] (I) An ability to accept a detachable ammunition magazine that attaches [to the pistol] at some location outside of the pistol grip;

[(ii)] (II) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a [barrel extender,] flash suppressor, forward [handgrip] pistol grip or silencer;

[(iii)] (III) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to [hold] fire the firearm [with the nontrigger hand] without being burned, [;] except a slide that encloses the barrel; or

[(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and]

In the summer of 2013 the CT legislature passed a revision to PA13-3, titled PA13-220.

It tweaked the law to fix a bunch of things including no LE carve out under certain circumstances, no Nuclear Security carve out, as well as making an exemption for Olympic style pistols.

(4) The sale of a semiautomatic pistol that is defined as an assault weapon in any provision of subparagraphs (B) to (F), inclusive, of subdivision (1) of section 53-202a, as amended by public act 13-3, as amended by this act, that the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection designates as being designed expressly for use in target shooting events at the Olympic games sponsored by the International Olympic Committee pursuant to regulations adopted under this subdivision, and for which the purchaser signs a form prescribed by the commissioner and provided by the seller that indicates that the pistol will be used by the purchaser primarily for target shooting practice and events. The Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection shall adopt regulations, in accordance with chapter 54, to designate semiautomatic pistols that are defined as assault weapons in any provision of subparagraphs (B) to (F), inclusive, of subdivision (1) of section 53-202a, as amended by public act 13-3, as amended by this act, that may be sold pursuant to this subdivision, provided the use of such pistols is sanctioned by the International Olympic Committee and USA Shooting, or any subsequent corresponding governing board for international shooting competition in the United States.

Whoa, back it up. Where did you get a P938 threaded barrel in the first place? Everytime I asked Sig had them out of stock.

It came with the Sig P938, when I was looking around for the 938 I found one dealer in MA that had one with the threaded barrel. It was a little bit more than the one without but at the time I figure why not, the extra half inch on the barrel length wouldn't hurt.

harry

Back
Top Bottom